Selling the 50 Apo to return to the 50 lux?

Csacwp

I don’t know what that (ie. “mood”) means.

Not sure where the feeling of darkness may come from either. I have both lenses and differences i can view are mainly at f/2-f/2.8 where i find less field curvature and more sharpness in corners and borders also a smoother bokeh on 50/2 apo and less vignetting and less flare on 50/1.4 asph, but at f/4 and on i'm unable to tell which is which in most cases. I'm no pixel peeper though. Perhaps the feeling of darkness out of 50/1.4 asph comes from the fact that 50/2 apo has more vignetting so the centre of the frame may look brighter, i don't know.

For me sharpening must be low otherwise for instance on a two day beard the algoritms start finding their own plane of focus, same on a face with just the slightest wrinkles and direct lighting.

Imho the too sharp rendering of the apo can be easily overcome by selecting low sharpening in the film selection. That is -if you use jpg.

Also in importing dng the sharpening can be reduced to a level you like in both C1 and LR.

I noted these effects (with my 50mm V nonA) on close-up and with older low-res screens (laptop) an 100% pixel peeping but nowadays I never see it anymore. Those 4K screens are forgiving.

Edited by Alberti
  • Like 3

For me sharpening must be low otherwise for instance on a two day beard the algoritms start finding their own plane of focus, same on a face with just the slightest wrinkles and direct lighting.

Imho the too sharp rendering of the apo can be easily overcome by selecting low sharpening in the film selection. That is -if you use jpg.

Also in importing dng the sharpening can be reduced to a level you like in both C1 and LR.

I noted these effects (with my 50mm V nonA) on close-up and with older low-res screens (laptop) an 100% pixel peeping but nowadays I never see it anymore. Those 4K screens are forgiving.

Thanks ! I had no idea this might be the reason why I've been seeing the same artefacts, if that's what they are and not just my missing focus or the lens needing alignment again . I will try this. It's another topic , but I hardly ever touch the default settings for sharpening or contrast.

Sent from my EVA-L29 using Tapatalk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It’s the way they draw. To me, the lux looks serene and kind of dark. The 50 Apo is very transparent and bright in a cheerful, energetic way.

I agree, but to address a point made earlier about post processing, the detail the APO 50 captures, if you're so inclined , can be post processed into the kind of surreal filthy (yet impossibly detailed and toned) dark that Jacob Aue Sobol did with that set of photos that first seduced some of us into getting the APO 50 to use with the MM1.

Sent from my EVA-L29 using Tapatalk

Guest Nowhereman

Csacwp - You asked about the Summilux 50 pre-ASPH, which some people prefer to the ASPH version. When the ASPH came out, a friend and I bought the last two new pre-ASPHs in Bangkok. I've always preferred its rendition to that of the ASPH.

Here is a street portrait, with what I see as pleasing bokeh, shot with the Summilux 50 pre-ASPH at f/1,4 on Tri-X @ ISO 1600. (And I'm not telling whether it's black or silver or titanium).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

When you buy a new camera or lens that significantly increases quality, sharpness, clarity, resolution etc. then you need to to up your own game and learn how to use them. IMO, the answer is never in post production.

The extraordinary malleability of digital image files will always be wonderfully seductive but, from here, that pretty much wraps it all up.

• Like 1

Keep your 50 APO and get a copy of the last pre-ASPH Noctilux f/1.0 - that would be my approach.

I did that for a while. I found that the APO was great for street, and I didn’t take the Nocti out as much. Sold both, replaced with a Lux ASPH and kept some money. Equally as happy if not more, but YMMV.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

I have not owned the APO but I did own a new 50mm Summicron which is a similar lens to the APO in terms of the "look". The Summicron rendered everything perfectly (very sharp, no distortion, accurate colours) but I found this made for boring photos. I sold the 50mm Summicron for a new 50mm Summilux which for the past three years has been my favourite lens ever.  Images look soft with that Leica "glow" - so soft that I actually tested the lens, thinking there could be something wrong with it! It is actually very sharp, just looks soft (weird I know!). Very flattering for portraits, particularly wide open and lovely bokeh, much nicer than the 50mm Cron.

Slightly off-topic, I also own an amazing 1960 50mm Summicron, not as "perfect" as a modern Leica 50mm but takes lovely photos with an immediately recognisable "look".

Both the 50mm APO and Summicron are superior lenses by every objective technical standard so I could totally understand anyone taking a different view. 

• Like 3

The photographer is responsible for the lens to shine. Especially to let the lens show its full character.

I see a lot of photographs made with both, APO50 and SL50, on Flickr and 500px. Only in a few shots, I can see the full character of the lens, feel the picture and be amazed. But questioning would there be a difference to me, personally, if the photographer would have chosen a different lens? I doubt it. The APO50 looks a bit cleaner, the bokeh is more perfect. But not the lens made this awesome shot, the photographer did.

I believe you cannot go wrong with both. If you have the money for the APO50, get it (from a nerd perspective regarding optical perfection). I will definitely get the APO50 sometime in the future (and maybe sell my SL50 then).

For my post above, it should read I have not found any lens to be responsible for boring images.

IMO, it somewhat depends on how you fine a line you draw between exciting and boring. There is no shame in not taking to a particular piece of equipment as you find it unsympathetic to the way you wanted the scene to be drawn. I too found the Summicron V5's rendering uninspiring and ultimately sold it in favor of the SLux BC which I'm happier with both for the added versatility, the knurled focus, which I happen to prefer, as well as the style of the results. For me its a far more willing partner than the cron was. I'm sure there are many who feel entirely the opposite.  Some get the most out of a Steinway, others prefer Bosendorfers, still others a beat up old Fender Rhodes. Just because you greatly prefer the tone of one and hate playing the others doesn't reflect one way or the other on one's ability as a pianist.

Edited by Tailwagger
  • Like 1