Selling the 50 Apo to return to the 50 lux?

Csacwp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Summilux-M 50 mm Asph used to be my workhorse standard lens for a couple of years ... but I never used it anymore after I got my Apo-Summicron. The notion that the Apo-Summicron was 'harsh' or 'sterile' is absurd. Do not, repeat: DO NOT sell the Apo-Summicron-M 50 mm Asph! You will regret. Selling yours now and re-purchasing another later will be a costly move. Instead, complement it with something else if you absolutely feel like it. I'd suggest an old Summitar 5 cm 1:2 or Summarit 5 cm 1:1.5 ... or maybe even an uncoated pre-war Elmar 5 cm 1:3.5. For better lens speed (for use with film) I'd suggest to skip the Summilux altogether and immediately go all the way to a Noctilux-M 50 mm 1:1 or 1:0.95 Asph.

that's a good point actually

if you have the money, keep the APO and buy the noctilux

never through of that before, but the more I think about it, its crazy but somehow makes sense to my bloodshot eyes :)

• Like 3

So anybody got examples of the Summicron Pre-apo vs the Summilux asph?

All current 50mm Summicrons are non-APO and non-aspherical so your comparison is just between these two lenses. Fill your boots:

https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=leica%2050mm%20summicron%20portrait

https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=leica%2050mm%20summilux%20portrait

The notion that the Apo-Summicron was 'harsh' or 'sterile' is absurd

I agree but it's no more absurd than believing this lens is demonstrably any better than any other 50mm Leica lens.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Keep the Apo and buy a Rigid v2 Summicron or/and even  a 50 1.4 Nikkor SC LTM for close focussing !

Or try a mild black promist filter with the 50 Apo:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1159121-REG/tiffen_46bpm14_46mm_black_pro_mist_1_4.html

I sold my BC 50 summilux as I found it too "modern", kept the BP 50 summilux v3 e46.

A 50 Summarit 1.5 is a nice lens to have as well.

The list goes on ...

Edited by JMF

Guys, I have a question about my 50 Apo... maybe there is something wrong with it. It swirls bokeh sort of like my 80 lux R did. It’s still razor sharp wide open even with the swirly backgrounds. Is this normal? I’m wondering if my copy is defective, which might explain why I don’t like it.

Edited by Csacwp

Both seem potentially problematic.

You just have kindly womenfolk

It varies. Some days I have to take pictures like this

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M typ 240, Apo-Summicron-M 1:2/50 ASPH

Edited by Exodies
  • Like 6