Selling the 50 Apo to return to the 50 lux?

Csacwp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For two years now I have been shooting the 50 Apo. It’s a superb lens, but I find that it can be too harsh for portraiture, and every so often I miss having an extra stop for low-light (I often shoot film). Should I sell it and get a Black Chrome 50 lux asph, or maybe even a pre-asph?

Exactly, perfect has no character. So how are you liking the 50 lux asph? Does it have enough character and is it gentle enough wide open? Or would you have preferred a pre-asph lens?

That's a good question. This is just my personal view but having used the 50Lux for about 18 months now (on an SL) mainly for portraiture I feel it has just the right balance of rendering. My style of portraiture tends more towards the honest than the flattering though so the results I'm getting, and on which I am basing my conclusion, might be too harsh or sterile for others. That said, I've been very critical of the 50SL 'Lux for being precisely this; too sterile.

If it help you can see the portraits I have made with this lens here:

http://www.tearsinrain.co.uk/encounters-35mm

and also here:

http://www.tearsinrain.co.uk/bloodandwater

Most of my digital work on my website in general has been shot with the 50Lux as this is the only lens I own currently. Some of it is with a 35 'cron but very few.

Edited by geetee1972
  • Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Your question is entirely personal. There is no way I would still have other Leica lenses and not the Summilux 50 ASPH. It is the thing for portraiture in the focal length space for me. If I really feel I need something different, I use my well adjusted Nokton 1.1/50. Great lens despite some so-so reviews. Another lens which may come close to the (in some eyes non-existing character) of the Summicron 50 ASPH is the Zeiss 2/50 at about 1/10th of the cost.

• Like 3

As someone who purchased a Black Chrome Summilux ASPH, I would have to say that it is a very attractive style (classic Ver. 1 Lux design).

Versatile and durable finish - Black Chrome plating over a brass body. A super durable design just like the classic 1950's Leitz products.

And of course, optically it is a beautiful lens, very sharp and a classic "look" to images produced by it.....no different to any other version of the Lux ASPH BTW !!

Overall, I am extremely happy with my "with me for life" 50 Summilux ASPH Black Chrome.........YMMV !! 

• Like 6

For two years now I have been shooting the 50 Apo. It’s a superb lens, but I find that it can be too harsh for portraiture, and every so often I miss having an extra stop for low-light (I often shoot film). Should I sell it and get a Black Chrome 50 lux asph, or maybe even a pre-asph?

This is exactly what I did. But I then added the Pre-APO Summicron, of which I'm very fond lately: it is sharp but never harsh, it has exactly the good size to match the MP/M10. It flares exactly like the APO (the version "without" flare). I love it

• Like 3

Neither 50/2 apo nor 50/1.4 asph are made for soft portraiture. What you need is a more "forgiving" lens like Sonnar 50/1.5 (with EVF preferably), Summilux 50/1.4 pre-asph or possibly a Summicron 50/2 pre-apo. Among longer lenses, Summicron 90/2 v3, Summilux 75/1.4 or slower telephotos like Elmarit 90/2.8 v1 which can be had for little money. 

• Like 3

A caveat on all the declaratory love for the Summilux and derision for the APO. 

I have never used an M with a color sensor and perhaps see things a little differently. The visual impact of images wrought by a lens that resolves as well at ƒ/2 as it does at ƒ/5.6, with a bokeh that isn't the main attraction as it is often in Summilux/Noctilux photos, is something experientially strange at first. 

No glow, no field curvature to muddle corners, no focus shift, precise rendering of tonality, apparent higher contrast at the plane of focus. All these influence the image observer's visual cues and changes what you seek to record rather than as the afterthought of converting a color shot to monochrome. 

One's appreciation for the APO begins to change, not as a "one lens is better than the other" but rather, as a distinctly different vehicle for perception.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

... the Apo-Summicron-M 50 Asph. It's a superb lens, but I find that it can be too harsh for portraiture [...]. Should I sell it and get a Summilux-M 50 Asph, or maybe even a pre-asph?

The Summilux-M 50 mm Asph used to be my workhorse standard lens for a couple of years ... but I never used it anymore after I got my Apo-Summicron. The notion that the Apo-Summicron was 'harsh' or 'sterile' is absurd. Do not, repeat: DO NOT sell the Apo-Summicron-M 50 mm Asph! You will regret. Selling yours now and re-purchasing another later will be a costly move. Instead, complement it with something else if you absolutely feel like it. I'd suggest an old Summitar 5 cm 1:2 or Summarit 5 cm 1:1.5 ... or maybe even an uncoated pre-war Elmar 5 cm 1:3.5. For better lens speed (for use with film) I'd suggest to skip the Summilux altogether and immediately go all the way to a Noctilux-M 50 mm 1:1 or 1:0.95 Asph.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1