Quick CL question - working with flash

Wojtek

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey,

Is it possible to work with external flashes with CL?

(It's not with TL2 because LCD only shows the view based on aperture-shutterspeed-iso settings. So if you set it on usual studio f/5.6, 1/160s and ISO 100, the LCD will be purely black, only lightening up for half a second or so it takes to focus and then turning dark again..)

Yes, there is a setting that will allow this to work.  Specifically, you can turn off "Exposure Preview" in "M" mode, then the screen will be bright even though the camera thinks you are totally underexposing the image.  You are forced to work in "M" mode, though (as you would probably expect).  So it works fine with off camera flashes on manual and a wireless trigger on the CL.  

I should qualify my response... I have barely tested this.  It appears to work fine, but I haven't yet taken flash pictures with it.  I have just confirmed that it shows a bright view in the viewfinder, even when the camera thinks things are underexposed.  I have a cheap, Nikon format wireless trigger that I use with my SL, and I expect it to work fine on the CL but have not yet tried that part of the equation.  

PAS does what it was supposed to do, let you see what you are shooting while the exposure is handled with flash.  It works:

39767891001_a0a5cc1232_o.jpgC1000830 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr  CL 23@f/5.6, SF58 flash indirect, manual exposure.

I haven't used the SF58 in years, but it still works, too.

Could you explain more about the M mode + exposure prevuew deactivation ? Is it something in the menu ?

I have the Leica T and I do triggered flash photography with it and I face the issue explained by OP. I am wondering if there is such option too for the T so I would like to hear more :)

Could you explain more about the M mode + exposure prevuew deactivation ? Is it something in the menu ?

Yes, on page 2 of the CL's menus (and you can put it on one of the buttons' lists if you like).  There are two choices, PASM and PAS, for the modes in which the electronic viewfinder will show a jpeg-ish estimate of the exposure that you are about to take.  The second choice, PAS, ignores your current settings when you are in Manual shutter/aperture mode (but you can still be in Auto-ISO, which is a source of confusion) and simply shows you the scene that will be captured at an average brightness.  This is intended for shooting with flash to supply some or all of the illumination.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I know this is a somewhat older thread about flash for CL, but I'm new to CL and have been experimenting with various small flashes I own.

I already own the SF-40 (which I use on my Q) but was looking for something even smaller.

I tried my Olympus FL-14 flash, which is equipped with TTL, auto and manual functions. Of course it does not work on TTL on the CL, but it does work on auto and on manual.

What I don't understand is that the flash symbol does not come up in the viewfinder, meaning the CL is not recognizing that there is a flash mounted. Therefore, the CL does not set a flash sync shutter speed.

Yet, the flash fires every time in either Auto or Manual setting. It has not failed to fire one time.

Amazingly, with the CL set at ISO 100, exposure appears to be spot on (with the flash set to Auto), even though there is no way that the flash knows what ISO the camera is set to.

I tried Aperture Priority (my usual shooting mode) first, and found that shutter speed chosen by the CL was much slower than I wanted (as long as 1 sec.) because the camera did not recognize the flash, so I switched to manual mode in the camera and bumped the shutter speed up to 1/320 (it does sync that high) to eliminate ambient light.

With the flash on Auto, I am getting perfect exposures at f/3.5 (wide open) on the 18-56 lens at 18mm. As you zoom into 56mm, the lens of course becomes an f/5.6 at wide open, and exposure is a little bit darker but good enough and definitely can be brightened in Lightroom if you're shooting DNG.

The only downside I see with the FL-14 is that there are no low power manual settings for the flash (i.e. 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 power, etc.), so in bright outside light I don't think the FL-14 will work well as a modest fill flash (unless the Auto setting somehow adjusts for the ambient light- I have not tried outside photos yet).

But if I need such adjustability, I can always use my SF-40. Also, the FL-14 does not tilt, so you can't do any bounce flash (again, I can use the SF-40 if I need bounce).

But the FL-14 is just so tiny and light (2 AAA batteries)that you can almost keep it on the camera all the time.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

• 4 years later...