Looking to buy my first digital Leica

Jimothy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think we all owe a debt of gratitude to the M8 and I agree that its black and white output is sublime. But for someone looking to transition seamlessly from a film M to a digital M in 2018 it wouldn't be my first choice.

Enjoy the 240! Great value nowadays.

If I were going for my first digital Leica...have to concur with Kwesi; in fact, neither the M8 or M9 would do, for a whole list of operational reasons not having to do with image quality. I'd probably go for the M262. Lighter, sans video, less buggy, film-camera quiet, real buffer, faster. 

+2.

Yesterday I was using my two M’s together for the first time, the M262 I bought new two years ago and A black paint M-P240 I just bought in virtually like-new condition.

The M-P is just a dream to handle. There’s that little extra “feel” to it compared to the M262. The weight difference is certainly noticeable.

Must admit that I prefer its haptics of the M9 over the size and weight of the 240/246. The differences are indeed small and seemingly irrelevant given its operational superiority.

The one thing that I really loved about the M262 are the weight and silent shutter. What a joy over the whizzing of the M9(M). 

I also feel like I'm driving around an old two-seater English sports car when taking out the MM; antiquated mechanics, but oh what a ride.