Looking to buy my first digital Leica

Jimothy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am looking to buy my first digital M having used a Leica M6 and MP for years. The range of cameras seems confusing with the M, MP, type 240 and type 260 etc. Is there a simple guide to what the differences are? Also what is this about 6 bit coding for lenses? Do I need to do something with my old lenses to make them work or will they be just fine as they are? Thanks in advance for any responses.

• Like 1

... Do I need to do something with my old lenses to make them work or will they be just fine as they are? Thanks in advance for any responses.

Certainly no need to get your lenses coded, they will work as they are. You can manually select most lenses in a digital M camera, which influences the way the camera processes your image data internally. If you want to avoid having to manually select each lens, you may always get your lenses coded.

Andy

• Like 1

I am using my M240 with my old Leica lenses (40-50 year old). I encountered no problems. If the focal length of your lenses is 35 mm or more  you dont really need the lens codes except for EXIF data). You may enter manually the lens type for using the lens profiles.

• Like 1

You're right, Leica's decision to use M and type no's is very confusing. They called the lastest model an M10 so I think they even confused themselves!

This may help https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?search=leica+m+camera&title=Special:Search&go=Go&searchToken=2yo5kbrchwav0ouwrjfm734pz

Edited by earleygallery
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for the info. Stephens Leica in Manchester is where I shall buy. I'm just trying to get my head round the permutations before I spend a small fortune in car park charges in Manchester.

I know the feeling. You have to visit a big city and they fleece you to park a car. Drive to a convenient place where parking is free or a lot cheaper and then use bus, train, or tram.  Then take your time without penalty. A good day to do this is Sunday because a lot of parking is free. Just check online as part of your plan.

Why Leica chooses to place their shops in city centres is beyond me. They could get cheaper sites in out of town locations and allow free access for interested people.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The primary technology differences are CCD vs CMOS censor, and whether or not you want the ability to shoot video. Body style does differ a bit. Some people who were disappointed by the larger size of the digital Ms as compared to their film predecessors have been much impress by the return to a slimmer body profile with the M10.

• Like 2

Apart from the M8...

Actually no. The M8 is simply the cheapest, not the best value by a mile for anyone looking for a modern digital M. 

Im sure anyone reading this knows the differences between an M8 and a 240 so i won't drone on...

Actually no. The M8 is simply the cheapest, not the best value by a mile for anyone looking for a modern digital M. 

Im sure anyone reading this knows the differences between an M8 and a 240 so i won't drone on...

I have both. In terms of black and white imaging, the M8 is generally superior. And at a price that is 40% of the 240, that makes it great value.

Ernst

I think we all owe a debt of gratitude to the M8 and I agree that its black and white output is sublime. But for someone looking to transition seamlessly from a film M to a digital M in 2018 it wouldn't be my first choice.

• Like 1

I think we all owe a debt of gratitude to the M8 and I agree that its black and white output is sublime. But for someone looking to transition seamlessly from a film M to a digital M in 2018 it wouldn't be my first choice.

Yes, you're probably right.

Ernst