Which real camera+single lens?

mertas

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After selling all my Canon L gear  24-70/2,8  , 70-200/4.  50/1,8

After shooting with iPhone 6plus

I am coming to conclusion, that i search small camera with one lens. Not bag with all gear.

My needs:

-28 or 35 mm lens

-50 mm lens

-shooting wide open

-shooting low light

-travelling

- simplicity - auto iso, aperture priority and rest is just enjoying photography

- preferably 2 bodies - we shot both with my wife when with family or travelling

I have tried Leica Q and was impressed with simplicity, speed, but 28mm seems to me to be too "deforming faces of people" and rather think about 35mm lens.

I didnt like Leica CL - toy feel with strange wheels on back, and Leica SL is too robust like Canon DSLR...  I am searching real photocamera - well build, but as small as possible.

What set would you suggest me and why?

Is there any web site comparing 35 and 50 M lenses with real photos?
Money are not issue, i am going to do investment for the rest of my life and enjoy.

M10+35mm - which lens?

Leica Q50mm - autofocus and video (if it commes)

or M10+50 mm - which lens?

Leica Q  - autofocus and video

or just M10 with 2 lenses?

Edited by mertas

One lens - M10 + 35 summicron asph

Two lenses

either M10 + 35 + 75 summarit 2.4 (I prefer this to the heavier and harder to focus summicron + the combination works beautifully for travel and a range of assignments)

OR (depending on your shooting style and needs) M10 + 28 summicron asph + 50 summilux

Of course - this just my opinion and others will differ!

;)

• Like 4

Reading this, I have serious doubts whether you will be happy with the manual focusing on the M10.  If you don't like the Q, which seems to touch all the bases on your requirements, you could have a look at the TL2. If that does not fit, I do not think that Leica builds the right camera for you.

BTW, the CL is anything but a toy camera, built like a tank and those wheels are much liked by the users.

• Like 2

for me this set up works fine:  

cron 35 mm (v4) because its so compact/light

and one faster 50mm lens which is bigger and heavier.

i like both  :D

so its up to my mood which lens I put on my mono for the day . ;)

lambda.

How is your eyesight?

Do you need autofocus or would you be happy manually focussing or zone focussing?

Are you able to get to a shop that sells Leica’s and test drive the M in store?

Do you need video?

Based on your answers to those I can probably suggest you something.

While the M can be set up as a point and shoot, it’s not really designed with that in mind and takes patience, practice and the odd failure to master.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by paulsydaus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

How is your eyesight?

Do you need autofocus or would you be happy manually focussing or zone focussing?

Are you able to get to a shop that sells Leica’s and test drive the M in store?

Do you need video?

Based on your answers to those I can probably suggest you something.

While the M can be set up as a point and shoot, it’s not really designed with that in mind and takes patience, practice and the odd failure to master.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am ready to focus manually, my wife not.

Video is secondary. I was investigating Sony A7SII or RIII, but it is always bad compromise. Real video is fully different form great photo gear. Different lenses, different approch, video has milion of profiles, features. So I am thinking to have it separated and for photo I do not want to make any compromises on handling and pure photo simplicity.

What I call photo simplicity. No complicated menus, run and shot - no long waking time of camera. Just set up aperture priority, auto iso and control focus and aperture with subject I shot.

Is it complicated to become fast manually focusing?

It really depends on your personal favourite style of shooting.

I would, for instance, rather go for a 2-lens-set of 24+75 or 28-90 than for 35+75. One lens would not give me the feeling of "having enough".

For a single lens solution, a 35mil or a 50mil are perfect. (Actually, the Fuji X100F looks like a pretty good idea, although I hesitate to write that in a Leica forum. ;)

(I've got some friends who really LOVE their Leica Q but would not entirely be ready to do without a 50 or 75.)

• Like 1

Unfortunately none of us can tell you whether or not you will like using a Leica M camera, but from your list of requirements that is really the only option for you in the Leica range and it is of course manual focus.

You need to visit a dealer and try one out. I'm sure they will let you bring a memory card and shoot some photos so you can test out how the focussing works for you.

Try with an M and 35mm Summarit or Summicron.

It sounds to me like you would really enjoy learning and using the M10, unless you are planning to use it as a point and shoot style camera or for fast moving/action shots in which case you may be disappointed and should consider another camera.

Stopping down and pre/zone focussing will help a lot, particularly for moving subjects.

For example, say you want to take a full length portrait of someone with the 35mm stopped down to f/5.6.

They would stand at a distance of around 2.5m and you would have over 1.5m of DOF. You could set the distance on the lens to between 2-3m and be assured of focus before even looking through the viewfinder.

I’m just trying to give an alternative insight. It doesn’t need to be difficult but you need to understand the principals of exposure and DOF etc. You need to be mindful of what you are doing and adjust the camera accordingly, unless of course you want to shoot the 28mm glued to f/16 with auto exposure. But if you’re doing that you might as well get an iPhone?

Based on your requirements I would lean towards the M10+35/2.0 and as a secondary option the 75/2.4.

I am ready to focus manually, my wife not.

Video is secondary. I was investigating Sony A7SII or RIII, but it is always bad compromise. Real video is fully different form great photo gear. Different lenses, different approch, video has milion of profiles, features. So I am thinking to have it separated and for photo I do not want to make any compromises on handling and pure photo simplicity.

What I call photo simplicity. No complicated menus, run and shot - no long waking time of camera. Just set up aperture priority, auto iso and control focus and aperture with subject I shot.

Is it complicated to become fast manually focusing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by paulsydaus

Why are you looking for a Leica. What did you shoot before? Why do you give up that? Why do you not choose Sony 7 some? What do your friends shoot with? I just know that my own way with photography and cameras included all the possible steps. With the M10 I landed somehow in my memories back in the 60ies. And why would you like one lens only? Why do you not keep your 50mm on the Canon? Is it a 5 or 6D Canon? What is your experience with full frame or APS-C sensors? Why do yo want full frame and why Leica? You know well that Sony is much better (besides the complicated menu?). Does your whish make sense? Are you sure of what you want? With an M10 I would suggest at least 3 lenses and not (NOT) one only.

• Like 1

Digital cameras are not investment for the rest of your life. Even if you are in retirement age. They are nothing but tools. With the only difference from tools - you never know which camera is going to lasts more. 6K$ Leica or 600$ Panasonic. 

With 28mm lens you have to watch corners and avoid close ups. If 28mm is on mirrorless FF Leica or M FF Leica it is environmental portrait lens. It works best on travel. It allows to have person in the frame and shows surrounding without bokeh defect :)

If compactness, high ISO is in concern and decision factor then where are not just Leica solutions are available. For example, Olypmus Pen F is small, small lenses, including Leica labeled and impressive high ISO. Plus, AF, face recognition and so on. Including image stabilizing. If you want good video it is a must. But I know people who sold all their Canon Ls and using nothing, but Fuji X100 series cameras.  

Last lens I would take on travel is 50mm lens. First and only - 35 or even 28mm. But I know what and how I'm going to photograph. It took me years to figure it out, because I have to do it myself. It is the only way... 

Why are you looking for a Leica. What did you shoot before? Why do you give up that? Why do you not choose Sony 7 some? What do your friends shoot with? I just know that my own way with photography and cameras included all the possible steps. With the M10 I landed somehow in my memories back in the 60ies. And why would you like one lens only? Why do you not keep your 50mm on the Canon? Is it a 5 or 6D Canon? What is your experience with full frame or APS-C sensors? Why do yo want full frame and why Leica? You know well that Sony is much better (besides the complicated menu?). Does your whish make sense? Are you sure of what you want? With an M10 I would suggest at least 3 lenses and not (NOT) one only.

+1!

At least Three lens for M10: 21/35/75 or 28/50/90!

Have a good day!

Thanks!

My needs:

-28 or 35 mm lens

-50 mm lens

-shooting wide open

-shooting low light

-travelling

- simplicity - auto iso, aperture priority and rest is just enjoying photography

- preferably 2 bodies - we shot both with my wife when with family or travelling

Lets do this scientifically. 

LowLight = True

WideOpen = True

Lens = [28, 50]

Bodies = 2

if money not concern:

result = calculate(Bodies, Lens, LowLight, WideOpen)

print result

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

A Q and M10 with 50mm Summilux is a pretty nice pairing. One I've recently adopted myself.  YMMV, of course.

• Like 4

Two cameras that I have never used but would be willing to try as a one camera/one lens solution are the APS-C size Fuji X100F with fixed 23mm (35mm equivalent) f/2 lens or the "full-frame" Leica Q with fixed 28mm f/1.7 lens. What I have actually been using is the Canon G15 compact with fixed 28-140mm f/1.8 to f/2.8 (equivalent) zoom lens.

Two cameras that I have never used but would be willing to try as a one camera/one lens solution are the APS-C size Fuji X100F with fixed 23mm (35mm equivalent) f/2 lens or the "full-frame" Leica Q with fixed 28mm f/1.7 lens. What I have actually been using is the Canon G15 compact with fixed 28-140mm f/1.8 to f/2.8 (equivalent) zoom lens.

Understand. Well. Makes sense. Maybe. Lets try. Yes G15 and X100F is a lovely combination. Where is the red point?

I went from Canon 5DS and lots of L lens to shooting 95% with M10 and 35 Summicron (f2). Kept the 5DS for shooting with the new 100-400L for sports and 16-35 for real wide angle work (need to sell the other L lenses now). Sony RX1 was my former "City/urban" camera but enjoy the M10 and the process of shooting with M10 - really like it actually. Simple decision process really, shoot for a day with your Canon and a 50 and then shoot for a day with a 35 ...

or use lightroom and see how many pictures you took at each focal length - That's hard data

Where is the red point?

If by "red point" you are asking where is the Leica, I must say that I have never considered my Leicas (M6  & M10) as a one camera/one lens solution because:

1. One of their strengths is interchangeable lenses.

2. I prefer to travel with my Leicas and three lenses.

3. I treat my one camera/one lens solutions as expendable.

• Like 1

It really depends on your personal favourite style of shooting.

I would, for instance, rather go for a 2-lens-set of 24+75 or 28-90 than for 35+75. One lens would not give me the feeling of "having enough".

For a single lens solution, a 35mil or a 50mil are perfect. (Actually, the Fuji X100F looks like a pretty good idea, although I hesitate to write that in a Leica forum. ;)

(I've got some friends who really LOVE their Leica Q but would not entirely be ready to do without a 50 or 75.)

At one day I had in hands and made shots with all these cameras:

1, Leica CL - great photos, but handling was not so impresive

than i took  2. Leica Q and something happened emotionaly - THAT WAS THE RIGHT THING to have in hands

3. than Fuji X100f - uff, so small lens that I was touching glass again and again. shutter button strange feel. Iso wheel strange feel. menu - japanese style - more complicated and I was refusing it and not fall in love with

than later I was investigating another great Video-cameras like Panasonic GH5 and Sony A7SII.

At the end of the day I was tired from so many buttons and menus and complicated settings. There was only 1 great feeling. Leica Q - my dream.

But lately shooting only my iPhone I realised, that my targets are 35mm and 50mm, so I dont go for Leica Q and either wait Leica Q with 35 or 50 mm or will think and try Leica M.

WHAT IS THE FEEL SHOOTING WITH LEICA M compared to Leica Q, Leica CL or TL.

WHAT IS YOUR EMOTION BEHIND USING THESE CAMERAS?

Photography is for me more ART than best technical GEAR.

What I love on Leica is focus on the most important features, rather than offering milion functions. All solid as a tank.

What did you shoot before?

daily life, travelling  with several Canon Cameras ending with 5D and zooms and prime lenses starting from 24 to 200mm - never happy, either too have zoom or not great optic, my focus was on changing lenses rather than concentration for frame.

Why do you give up that?

too much kids, no energy to take Canon bag with me, so I was tired to even take photos with heavy gear

Why do you not choose Sony 7 some?

it is bestseller everywhere, but take the camera into your hands . it is digital monster, not analog simplicity...

What do your friends shoot with?

does it matter?  Nikons, Canons, Sony, compacts, phones... nothing inspiring for me

And why would you like one lens only?

because I have to shoot and not think about toools. photo is art of time, passing by quickly. therefore two bodies each with only one prime lens

Why do you not keep your 50mm on the Canon?

because I sold whole Canon System - anyway 50/1,8 was the only lens I was pleased with - small, prime, fast

What is your experience with full frame or APS-C sensors? Why do yo want full frame and why Leica?

both are great, but on full frame I like better the bookeh. I love shooting wide open.

APS-C  Leica CL was not so ergonomic nice like leica Q, therefore I am thinking rather about full frame models?  In lowlight are both systems comparable?

So far I didnt touch camera, that I like as Leica Q  /but I didnt touch M10 so far :-)

You know well that Sony is much better (besides the complicated menu?)

What do you think? Sony is allrounder - photo/video in one body, but cant beat Leica on photo IMHO... wrong?

Does your whish make sense?

I do not know, therefore I ask here ... :-)

Are you sure of what you want?

Not yet, help me, inspire me :-)

With an M10 I would suggest at least 3 lenses and not (NOT) one only.

Tell me please.

• Like 1