75 and 90mm SL lenses will arrive in February

jrp

I'm not sure i'm in the market for either of these lenses, and I'm just thinking to buy a 24-90 as a workhorse lens for weddings/events/plays

Though I used to shoot 35/85 for weddings, I theorize 75mm would not be a great companion for the Q, with the gap between them.

Maybe the 35/50 2.0 will give me cause to consider, assuming good AF speed.

The 75 is already in stores—I tried it just now. It is quite compact and balances superbly on the camera. The size and weight differences with the 24-90 are much greater than pictures would suggest. The 50/2R + adapter is however still smaller and lighter. Hood is metal. AF is quite fast—not as fast as the 24-90 subjectively but the difference is small.

I shot both the 75mm & 90mm last evening, cannot make up my mind on which to take. The AF is fast, even when aimed at dark corner. I focuses slower than usual but did not hunt. I'm going to be back the store to do another round of trial.

• Like 3

I shot both the 75mm & 90mm last evening, cannot make up my mind on which to take. The AF is fast, even when aimed at dark corner. I focuses slower than usual but did not hunt. I'm going to be back the store to do another round of trial.

Hi sillbeers15!

If possible, pls. share some picture from SL Apo 90 at f2 for portrait.

I intend to get this len to shoot with my SL 601 and SL 24-90/f 2.8-4.

Thanks!

The first pictures we see from the new 75 SC-SL mostly seem to have been taken wide open to show off the sharpness of the plane in focus plus rapid falloff of focus for things nearer or further away.  Would some of you early receivers shoot a few scenes with information at several depths, say at f/2.8 to 5.6 so we can see how the surrounding scene is rendered when it isn't just a frosted-glass blur?  More shots with detail even deeper than the second statue in the shot just above.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 1

Are you sure 90mm shot was f2? It show more DOF and less blur. I know shooting distance was adjusted, but still I’d expect at least similar blur background. Or was the image cropped?

Edit:

Never mind, the 90mm image was at much longer distance.

Edited by ZHNL

Thanks for posting these pics. I like the bokeh of 70mm more than 90mm....

I had concerns over the bokeh of the SL75APO over the SL90APO as my initial logical thoughts were longer focal length would yield 'less busy bokeh'. So I did my trials to compare both lenses wide open. My choice on focal selection initially was biased towards 75mm over 90mm cause the 75mm would pair well with the soon to be released 16-35mm which I wanted and waited for quite sometime. Finally my decision was made after comparing the bokehs of both lenses wide open. But my honest opinion is both bokeh does not differentiate that much. Last push factor came by an available stock SL75APO (1 unit in the Leica store I visited), hence without hasitation I purchased it. Hope to take somemore pics over the coming weeks. It is indeed refreshing to hold a compact and light lens over both native zooms I have been using happily over the past 12 to 24 mths.

• Like 2

My choice would be the 75 because I find it a much more flexible focal length for what I do, and I believe it would be a nice pair with a 35mm prime or even with a 28mm prime.

However at the moment I have other priorities and also I am quite happy with the flexibility of the 24-90.

The size of the new lenses looks very nice. I think a good compromise between speed and size. (not so much price ;) )

• Like 1

I'm not sure how useful these will be Scott ...... the weather here has been blustery and grey for weeks so this is the best I can do indoors....... all at 50 iso ... focus on the solitary pink orchid ....

f2

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 6

f2.8

• Like 1

f 4

f 5.6

• Like 1

f 8

f 11

• Like 1

f 16

• Like 1

lens performance is faultless from f2 - f16, but at f22 diffraction reduces detail significantly ..... 100% crops ....

f2

f22

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 7