Upgrading from the M9

Shameetman

No, but a bit like that: I bought the M10 and sold it after a year. Returned happily to my M9 which I hadn’t sold. Reason: I don’t like the colors of M240 and newer. Just my personal opinion. I find them too yellowish and way oversaturated. People say that you can mold it to your own taste but in my experience this is very cumbersome and sometimes truely impossible. I never spent so much time with my M9 to get it ‘right’ as with my M10. This is not meant to spread rumors, because the M10 is indeed in many aspects the best digital M thus far, but it’s just not my taste. Start-up time was also a reason: the M9 is faster in the street. Don’t like the LED frames either, but the silent shutter and the accuracy and speed of focusing is better than ever.

In my view the M10 tastes like the former Kodak Elitechrom slidefilm. The M9 is like Kodachrome25, heavenly neutral.

Nicely resume.

So true.

I agree 100% on bold texts.

Monochrom for me and M9 for my wife :).

Do we still remember what Kodachrome 25 is ?

Here to remind how it was...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

myself, ferry to Ré Island in 1984, time before the bridge to Ré

Madame's Leica M5 (don't remember which lens) on Kodachrome 25 newly released by then (1983 ?)

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 9

Nicely resume.

So true.

attachicon.gifRé M4 en 84.jpg myself, ferry to Ré Island in 1984, time before the bridge to Ré

Madame's Leica M5 (don't remember which lens) on Kodachrome 25 newly released by then (1983 ?)

Ok, maybe the skintones were better on the Kodachrom25 than on the M9 with AWB, but they are feasible :)

• Like 1

Kodachrome 25 was released in 1974  :)

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=DNUDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA96&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

Kodachrome (64) doing what it did best, apologies - Alpa 7 with 50mm Kern Switar 1989

23979943063_99572b1a33_b.jpg

Edited by chris_livsey
  • Like 3

Chris, you are right for Kodachrome 25 released in 1974.

Thanks for that.

I didn't write with precision that it was Kodachrome 25 Professional variety "5034/PKM" available only from 1983 and I remember that kind was to be kept in fridge.

But the color rendering of Kodachrome 25 Professional was very "in my taste" as accurate (in my taste) but gentle hues as could be.

I used by then since long the non professional K25/K64 and had some color-shift with some films.

Arnaud

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Kodachrome 25, those WERE the days, the kids of today don't know what they're missing.  I tried to re-live using the speeds and apertures required for 25 ISO, or should we only refer to it as ASA 25, with 3 stops of ND on my M9 set at ISO 160, now I know why tripods were invented, we've become spoilt by the high ISOs.

Edited by Guest

I, as a newbie to Leica, have just done exactly that. I bought an M9 with 35mm Summicron to dip my toe into the whole rangefinder thing and now have bought a second M9 (new sensor) with 21mm and 90mm lenses and will now stick with this combination for.....ever???? 

Edit now have a third M9 with 75mm and 135.

• Like 1

Nicely resume.

So true.

attachicon.gifRé M4 en 84.jpg myself, ferry to Ré Island in 1984, time before the bridge to Ré

Lovely image - could be straight from an advertisement for either Leica or Kodachrome! 

• Like 1

Lovely image - could be straight from an advertisement for either Leica or Kodachrome! 

Thanks pedaes.

:)

Madame she is talented photographer/advertiser.

I'll tell her what you write here.

I fear that it's too late for Kodachrome.

Edited by a.noctilux

Blimey, you don't hang around!

I bought an M8 4 years ago (and an M6 a year or two before that) and still only have 3 lenses.

Look forward to more of your photos - particularly the 2-wheelers :)

I've always run 3 bodies all the way back to my film days (3 Canon F1ns) I like to work that way (not professional work anymore). I had a 3 Fuji X-Pro1 kit with similar lens setup (accounting for the crop factor) but really wanted to have Leicas so bit the bullet once I had tried the first combo. I do try to post pics regularly and always have my EDC M9 with 35mm Summicron with me wherever I go. 2 wheelers are one fo my favourite subjects you can see more on my instagram  @topsyrm59.

Edited by Topsy
  • Like 1

Thanks Paul, some stunning photos in that collection.

I like the 3 x M9 triangle.

You had much better light for the Commando Memorial (but I'll be back up there again in September so may have another chance :) ).

Cheers,

Graham

an ex-HD owner and former 2 wheeler jockey

• Like 1

I have five rolls of Kodak Chrome something left and once it is done, I'm done with slide film. M-E low ISO files are close enough to it. C-41 is very different story, but sometimes M-E feels not so far from it.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I might be wrong and I have no idea how to control it.

But I'm happy with M-E. It is just as good as my M4-2 is. It works best with fixed ISO and S16 or external meter and it just like film, pushable @1600 and very clean at low ISO. 

• 1 month later...

I’m finding myself less wanting to upgrade or have any regret of not getting a newer digital M since my first M: M9. I’m actually thinking of acquiring another M9 or even an M6?

The color profile out of the M9 is the biggest anchor for me. I’ll admit sometimes I’m wanting more being a geek but the nostalgia or I should say the placebo effect is strong in this one ha! ;)

Edited by low325
  • Like 2

I’m finding myself less wanting to upgrade or have any regret of not getting a newer digital M since my first M: M9. I’m actually thinking of acquiring another M9 or even an M6?

The color profile out of the M9 is the biggest anchor for me. I’ll admit sometimes I’m wanting more being a geek but the nostalgia or I should say the placebo effect is strong in this one ha! ;)

Stay there!

• 2 months later...

I'm considering to upgrade from M9 to a second hand M10 (or a new M10P) but have to sell the M9 first. I also wonder for how long the camera can still be serviced; the model is nearing its 10th anniversary. Will all electronic parts still be available in say 5 years?