Leica APO-Summicron-SL 1:2/75 ASPH.

horlogere

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As for me, I use my SL more often than my M but my intention is to use both SL & M on complimentary applications. Such as for fast, convenience and weather sealing my SL and native zooms come into play. When I can afford the leisurely paste of taking pics, my choice would be my M10 with M primes.

So I see myself picking up the SL75 together with the 16-35VE when available as to carrying my 24-90VE around. So the availability of the 75 brings back my interest of the 16-35.

• Like 3

Hi There

I’ve had this lens on and off for over a year now for testing. (I’ve had both, but the 75 for much longer).

This time they’ve got it right - the AF is as quick as the 24-90 zoom and the image quality is simply stunning, right from f2. It has wonderful bokeh, both in front and behind the point of focus with a lovely gentle roll-off.

Here is a link to some pictures - I’ll put the exif on later:

https://adobe.ly/2F99enA

I would like to know why you personally prefer the 75 Noctilux-M over the 75 Summicron-SL, please.
  • Like 1

Agree with Sillbeers. Just picked up an M10 to go with my SL. For street I will use the SL for the 50 Lux and 90 APO, and for the M10 the 21 SEM and 28 Cron v2. Once the 16-35 hits the shelves, this will be dedicated for landscape applications on the SL along with another prime yet to be determined. The SL and M systems compliment each other wonderfully

• Like 2

Usually once products are announced for release and NDA's expire there is a flood of reviews that have been stewing on computers worldwide for weeks or months ......

So far there has been Jono's photos and one reviewer in Germany ...... so unless the lens is so unexciting that no-one else who has used it can be bothered to comment then very few non Leica employees have had access .....

Anyway ..... it's a premium Leica lens so it will perform as well or better than anything else and is unlikely to have any significant issues ........ apart from the usual disastrous effect on your wallet. 

Assuming Leica's distribution is adequate and equitable (*) I should have a 75 on day one ......

(*) CL distribution showed a relapse into Leica's previous habit of favouritism ..... with some very questionable preferences for certain dealers (in the UK anyway) ....  :angry:

Edited by thighslapper

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As for me, I use my SL more often than my M but my intention is to use both SL & M on complimentary applications. Such as for fast, convenience and weather sealing my SL and native zooms come into play. When I can afford the leisurely paste of taking pics, my choice would be my M10 with M primes.

So I see myself picking up the SL75 together with the 16-35VE when available as to carrying my 24-90VE around. So the availability of the 75 brings back my interest of the 16-35.

Yes, the 16-35 and 75 are tempting. Less so if/when S008 is brought to life, though...

• Like 2

NDA? Lens is officially announced, you would expect marketing to go into overdrive.

That's true.  Maybe they're staging the release of the reviews - I'm sure there will be reviews.  Is the lens actually available anywhere?  Both are listed on B&H as "Coming soon".

Yes, the 16-35 and 75 are tempting. Less so if/when S008 is brought to life, though...

Why do you think that? Spending $10000 for a pair of lenses I can rationalize. Spending $15 to 20K dollars for an S, and then spending another $15-20K for a reasonable few lens kit is simply so far above my pay grade and need I think I'd need a rocket launcher to get there. :D

NDA? Lens is officially announced, you would expect marketing to go into overdrive.

Just because the lens has been officially announced doesn't mean that the NDA program has been terminated yet. I would not expect the NDA to lift until the lens is actually available in the distribution channel ... but that's up to Leica's discretion, 100%. When it does, reviews will flow.

Just because the lens has been officially announced doesn't mean that the NDA program has been terminated yet. I would not expect the NDA to lift until the lens is actually available in the distribution channel ... but that's up to Leica's discretion, 100%. When it does, reviews will flow.

I guess NDA will not be all that matter. Leica does well in managing the launch of a new product, especially the price point of new Leica lenses is no short of being one of the highest commercially available. So providing beta testers usage of the not yet released new lenses help to do publicity for Leica once the lens is made available for preorders from Leica as independent reviews started popping up in the web. I certainly look forward to reading them and watching the videos as it is kind of exciting for a while.

I was given the chance to do a couple of shots of the Noc M 75mm in last Sep while attending a Leica workshop. No NDA was signed but we all kept quiet until the lens was launched before talking about it openly. So I'm not suprised more independent reviews & videos will pop up in the coming weeks. But interestingly, there are very few reviews on the SL90-280mm VE although it is a great lens. So much talk about it being heavy from non users is absolute rubbish! For the users of the lens will be certain that it is almost flawless for such a versitle mid telephoto zoom lens apart from a fast focused and sharp, the contrasty images it brings are nothing but absolute IQ comparing to other lenses in the same range available today. 

• Like 2

Why do you think that? Spending $10000 for a pair of lenses I can rationalize. Spending $15 to 20K dollars for an S, and then spending another $15-20K for a reasonable few lens kit is simply so far above my pay grade and need I think I'd need a rocket launcher to get there. :D

In stead of having a car (and cars are EXPENSIVE where I live), I have (used) S-006 with new sensor, plus S-lenses. So I belong to those that are curious about the S-008.

But the SL serves me very, very well. The zooms are fantastic...

• Like 1

Usually once products are announced for release and NDA's expire there is a flood of reviews that have been stewing on computers worldwide for weeks or months ......

So far there has been Jono's photos and one reviewer in Germany ...... so unless the lens is so unexciting that no-one else who has used it can be bothered to comment then very few non Leica employees have had access .....

Anyway ..... it's a premium Leica lens so it will perform as well or better than anything else and is unlikely to have any significant issues ........ apart from the usual disastrous effect on your wallet.

Assuming Leica's distribution is adequate and equitable (*) I should have a 75 on day one ......

(*) CL distribution showed a relapse into Leica's previous habit of favouritism ..... with some very questionable preferences for certain dealers (in the UK anyway) .... :angry:

Mick Yates on FB has one (from Leica Mayfair) and has started posting. Apparently he was one of a group that had a preview at Wetzlar in the autumn, though that may just have been a convenient coincidence with a factory visit.

I’ve been recently toying with the idea of dumping my M240 and moving to the SL.

I just popped into a Leica store and tried the new SL 75mm Summicron.

Boy oh boy, the size and weight of these new Summicrons has transformed the handling of the SL. The package now has a fantastic balance and weight, which I much prefer versus the SL 50mm Lux. I even find it nicer to handle than my Ms. The autofocus seemed mega quick with no hunting indoors when I tried it. The whole package now just looks and feels much more compact and balanced than it did before.

The choice of me moving to the SL system is obvious now, especially given my personal view that the SL 50mm Summilux produced superior image quality in large prints compared to what I get from my M 50 APO. I’d expect the range of new SL Summicrons will also give me that impression versus the M lens counterparts when I try them more.

• Like 14