Leica APO-Summicron-SL 1:2/75 ASPH.

horlogere

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Why is the 90 Summicron more expensive than the 75? Both have similar construct, physical size and weight (less than 3% difference). 

Or is the answer as obvious as "Leica always charges more for a longer focal length"? 

Don't get me wrong, I will be looking to see if I replace my M70 Summicron and my R90 Apo (well, maybe not the latter) with these lenses, if they are as fast focusing as promised.  

Longer is better  :p

• Like 1

Hi There

I’ve had this lens on and off for over a year now for testing. (I’ve had both, but the 75 for much longer).

This time they’ve got it right - the AF is as quick as the 24-90 zoom and the image quality is simply stunning, right from f2. It has wonderful bokeh, both in front and behind the point of focus with a lovely gentle roll-off.

Here is a link to some pictures - I’ll put the exif on later:

https://adobe.ly/2F99enA

Have you ever had the chance to compare the 2/75 against the Summarit-S 70 on the SL with adapter?

Ivo

Do you mean focusing speed on the 90 is as fast as the 75 as well? If so, I shall have to think hard about the 90 - I mentioned it to my finance director over a glass of wine this evening. I would prefer the 90 on the SL, for tighter portraits; I think I'll stick to the Summicron-M 75 on the M.

Thanks for the great photos - but then they're always great!

Well, thanks for the kind words about the photos . . . . There was an AF epiphony a few months ago, after I’d had the 90, so I can’t absolutely guarantee that it’s as good as the 75, but I would bet that it’s just as fast and wonderful.

Best

Jono

• Like 1

Well, thanks for the kind words about the photos . . . . There was an AF epiphony a few months ago, after I’d had the 90, so I can’t absolutely guarantee that it’s as good as the 75, but I would bet that it’s just as fast and wonderful.

Best

Jono

Thanks, lets hope so. Was sorting out AF the reason they have been delayed from the original roadmap?

Have you ever had the chance to compare the 2/75 against the Summarit-S 70 on the SL with adapter?

Ivo

Hi Ivo -sorry - I have tested the S70 on the S, but not on the SL. I imagine the focus speed is in a different category altogether - it really is very quick on the SL with the new 75

• Like 2

Hah, I don’t know about that, what I do know is that the AF has changed from the ridiculous to the sublime in the last few months!

There are hints of the firmware algorithm used to support autofocus on the two new lenses on the website that goes into their merits in detail. It sounds like the problem that contrast-detect always has about knowing the error but not the direction in which to correct is being addressed by taking multiple samples of the image contrast at slightly different focus settings and comparing them before launching off into great hunts into the unknown. This would take advantage, in the SC SL 75 and 90, of the two lightweight focusing elements.  The optical and mechanical design of those lenses must have been frozen a year or more ago, while a firmware improvement could have matured in the timeframe that Jono refers to.  

So I expect that the firmware update soon to come which will recognize the existence of the new lenses will also include this AF improvement.  Hmmm.  Maybe it can be applied to older lenses...?

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 4

The lens looks absolutely stunning, but I’m afraid it will be too sharp for all but those who have perfect skin. When making portraits, I tend not to use anything sharper than the 90 Apo, and it is already pushing it by f/4. The microcontrast of these newer lenses is brutal on skin, but the lenses are incredible if you have the right subject.

Nobody keeps you from using cellophane and nylon over the lens when tulle is not enough.

• Like 2

Hi There

I’ve had this lens on and off for over a year now for testing. (I’ve had both, but the 75 for much longer).

This time they’ve got it right - the AF is as quick as the 24-90 zoom and the image quality is simply stunning, right from f2. It has wonderful bokeh, both in front and behind the point of focus with a lovely gentle roll-off.

Here is a link to some pictures - I’ll put the exif on later:

https://adobe.ly/2F99enA

Lovely photos Mr Slack. Very, very nice rending lens.

• Like 1