Leica APO-Summicron-SL 1:2/75 ASPH.

horlogere

Advertisement (gone after registration)

With the publication of the Leica APO-Summicron-SL 1: 2/75 ASPH., I can show first experiences

I was there in advance to try before and am heavily inspired what Leica has launched in again.

My first impression can be read here.

• Like 11

Andreas's blog on the new lens

(In German but Google Translatable)

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-aktuell/2018/01/apo-summicron-leica-sl-75-90/

Added by LUF Admin

Here is the English version:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-news/2018/01/leica-sl-apo-summicron-lenses-75mm-90mm/

Sorry for delay…

Edited by LUF Admin
Added English link
  • Like 3

The lens looks absolutely stunning, but I’m afraid it will be too sharp for all but those who have perfect skin. When making portraits, I tend not to use anything sharper than the 90 Apo, and it is already pushing it by f/4. The microcontrast of these newer lenses is brutal on skin, but the lenses are incredible if you have the right subject.

• Like 1

Why is the 90 Summicron more expensive than the 75? Both have similar construct, physical size and weight (less than 3% difference). 

Or is the answer as obvious as "Leica always charges more for a longer focal length"? 

Don't get me wrong, I will be looking to see if I replace my M70 Summicron and my R90 Apo (well, maybe not the latter) with these lenses, if they are as fast focusing as promised.  

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

and are they still f2.0 at closest focusing distances ?

Why is the 90 Summicron more expensive than the 75? Both have similar construct, physical size and weight (less than 3% difference). 

Or is the answer as obvious as "Leica always charges more for a longer focal length"? 

Don't get me wrong, I will be looking to see if I replace my M70 Summicron and my R90 Apo (well, maybe not the latter) with these lenses, if they are as fast focusing as promised.  

The lens looks absolutely stunning, but I’m afraid it will be too sharp for all but those who have perfect skin. When making portraits, I tend not to use anything sharper than the 90 Apo, and it is already pushing it by f/4. The microcontrast of these newer lenses is brutal on skin, but the lenses are incredible if you have the right subject.

It depends. I agree that the sharpest image is unforgiving to imperfect skin, but sometimes one is going for real rather than flattering.

And sometimes I think it is less the fault of the lens as the sensor/body: digital sensors can react to invisible frequencies, causing pink or blotchy skin syndrome in some faces, and the best lenses also seem to bring this out. I have a number of colour adjustment techniques that I use before resorting to the negative clarity slider. Softer (i.e. from a wider angle) lighting helps as well.

For myself, I would rather have all the data the lens/sensor can produce and then adjust it than not have the data to start with.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 6

With the publication of the Leica APO-Summicron-SL 1: 2/75 ASPH., I can show first experiences

I was there in advance to try before and am heavily inspired what Leica has launched in again.

My first impression can be read here.

Thanks for sharing this Norbert. Your sample images are much more useful than the official postings from Leica. They really show off the exceptional quality of the Leica glass. 

After waiting 18 months for this release I wasn't yet convinced by the Leica marketing materials. But reading your review gave me enough confidence to pre-order it today. The SL 50mm was too heavy and slow for me, even though the IQ was amazing. Besides, I'm happier with the short telephoto for my images, especially portraits and street photos where I can keep a bit more distance. Only one more month to wait.

I think you are right that these optics are paving the way for a 35-45mp SL2; which would be awesome. I have long admired the S from a distance: but the weight, price, clunky AF and reliability issues have kept me away. Maybe the SL range will become good enough to allow Leica to phase out the S line, with all it's troubles. No, it won't equal it for the purists, but we might get 80% of the quality for 30% of the price.

Edited by Craggs 101

Sounds like a great lens, Jono. The photos look lovely. BTW: The first two faces, of the youngsters, are hysterical and brought a smile.  :D

It always gives me a chuckle when I hear a new lens, one that people have been bellyaching for for over a year, is finally announced and immediately three negative comments about it appear, even before anyone but a beta tester has touched it. How insane are enthusiasts! 

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 1

Jono, huge thanks for your images. Stunning. Could you share some thoughts on the 90, and ideally even some sample shots. Huge thanks in advance. Such a difficult decision (90 or 75 :-) )

Hi There

Well, I didn’t have the 90 for so long, and I haven’t got an album of images, but they are certainly siblings, and of similar quality. I’d go for the 75 every time . . But then I really like 75 as a focal length.

• Like 3

Nice pictures.  I was also pleased to see that the grandkids are still willing to pose for you.  And I liked the departing duck.

I don't know how you find enough time to shoot with all this wonderful stuff.  Even the time to hide all the EXIFs and disguise your CL shots as TLs and your 75 SL SC  and Noctilux M shots as some other sorts of 75s must be a burden.  What a tough life!  (But I guess someone has to do it.)

• Like 1

Hi There

Well, I didn’t have the 90 for so long, and I haven’t got an album of images, but they are certainly siblings, and of similar quality. I’d go for the 75 every time . . But then I really like 75 as a focal length.

Do you mean focusing speed on the 90 is as fast as the 75 as well? If so, I shall have to think hard about the 90 - I mentioned it to my finance director over a glass of wine this evening. I would prefer the 90 on the SL, for tighter portraits; I think I'll stick to the Summicron-M 75 on the M.

Thanks for the great photos - but then they're always great!