LHSA 50th Anniversary Special Edition APO Summicron-M 50 f/2 ASPH [merged]

dugby

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Great news on these two new variations of the APO 50mm  announced in the following LHSA url

https://lhsa.org/2017/11/lhsa-50th-anniversary-special-edition-apo-summicron-m-50-f-2-asph/

LHSA – International Leica Society is celebrating its 50th anniversary with a new LHSA Special Edition lens. With the help of LHSA member, Bill Rosauer, we have once again worked with Leica camera to bring a totally unique lens to Leica users. Click here to read an LHSA Special Editions article by Bill Rosauer.

The new LHSA Special Edition lens recalls the elegant design of the original 50mm Rigid Summicron lens introduced with the original Leica M, and the M3. Combining the design cues of the original classic M lens with the top performance of the state-of-the-art APO Summicron-M 50 f/2 ASPH, we can offer the Leica enthusiast the best of both worlds. With this LHSA special edition lens, you have the look and feel of the classic Leica Summicron, plus cutting-edge performance. Indeed,  Leica engineers have set new standards in imaging with this optical masterpiece. 

500 Units – Two Finishes

The lens, which is projected to be available mid-January 2018, will be offered in two classic finishes, Silver Chrome and Black Paint on a solid brass construction. There will also be an inlaid LHSA designation. The separate lens hood is also machined of solid brass as is the special lens cap. As a limited edition, the lens production will be restricted to 500 units, 300 black paint finish and 200 silver chrome finish, and will be available to all Leica Stores, Boutiques, and Dealers. The special edition serial numbers are shown on the aperture ring, while the LHSA logo is inscribed (without inlay) on the bayonet ring, just above the ‘Made in Germany’ lettering.

Click here to read an LHSA Special Editions article by Bill Rosauer.

That's well worth a read. Interesting (though not surprising) to learn how much inertia had to be overcome to realise some of these editions. I imagine that Leica were quite pleased with how the reincarnation of the black paint finish ended up for them. I can't help but think the MP hammertone edition was a complete dud but I've always like the retro bodied 35 Summicron that came with it and I wonder why that lens body design wasn't reused for later special editions of that lens like the black chrome and Kravitz versions.

• Like 2

One London 'Premier Dealer' is saying sold out.

Quite possibly true – the lens was announced some months ago – but there is always a lot of this "sold out" hype in recent years that often simply isn't true. If you are keen, you might try one or two of the US dealers – e.g. B&H are listing it.

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Quite possibly true – the lens was announced some months ago – but there is always a lot of this "sold out" hype in recent years that often simply isn't true. If you are keen, you might try one or two of the US dealers – e.g. B&H are listing it.

Agreed - Leica Miami also, but it does make a expensive lens even more so with cost of importing. Also, unless buying for collection I think the convenience of the built in hood on the standard version outways the retro look, but I appreciate that is a very personal observation.

• Like 1

Too bad it took a special edition to get a fully knurled focus ring, not cramped against the aperture ring as the standard version. One hopes that the aperture ring is also not loose like the two standard samples I tested. But the absence of an integrated hood is a trade off (albeit possibly more effective).

Jeff

I don’t find any of the retro-lenses very attractive with the exception of the 28mm Summaron which strikes me as uniquely pretty as well as offering something different in terms of performance.

Admittedly I haven’t seen an example of the new 50mm special edition APO Summicron in the flesh, but in the photos it doesn’t very look nice to me. But then I have mostly preferred the look of the modern Leica lenses to the older ones.

How does the new special edition compare in size and weight with the standard 50mm APO Summicron?

Edited by Peter H
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Tricky question because nobody takes it out of the box.

(The 1.4/50A retro sure's purty!)

There you go:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

;) Steve

• Like 7

From the top:

• Like 2

Yes, it does look nice but for that kind of money it has to be in black paint (unless you have that one too, Steve?).

The problem is you need at least one kidney... :unsure:

but seriously I prefer the look of the silver one. Further I think the chrome one is more durable especially as I actually would like to use it.

Edited by Steve Ash
  • Like 3

Here is a size comparison with the Summilux 50 Asph. for anyone interested.

• Like 1