LHSA 50th Anniversary Special Edition APO Summicron-M 50 f/2 ASPH [merged]

dugby

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Cheapest ebay listing as of now is $13k ($12,995.00) for both black and silver. Insanity?

Btw, I spoke to one of Leica stores and they claim that those lenses only sold through Leica boutique stores. Not big retaltersa like B&H. Even though B&H has both silver and black versions listed in their web site. Just for the sake of listing?

Anyone?

Edited by skater75

The store's claims are incorrect. Like many, I also thought that such a limited production lens would be distributed through the boutique stores only, or at least first. So, I put my name on the list very early at my local Leica boutique as they were my preference and I wanted to support buying locally. In addition, I thought I'd be able to get the lens sooner than if I were to buy elsewhere.

To my surprise, it turns out that I was able to buy the lens from a very well known large retailer in California (NON-Leica boutique) without even being on their list as there wasn't even a list to begin with. It was a first come first serve situation! This struck me odd! Not only was I able to save on taxes, I was able to received the lens weeks before I got the call from my local store!! I still like my local store as they are great people, but the saving on time and money elsewhere have them beat! It's quite shocking to see a big generic retailer beat a Leica boutique on a Leica produced item especially being limited edition!

Perhaps my local boutique had a list too long? Or maybe Leica Germany didn't do as proper of a job allocating shipments, I do not know? But this just feels wrong doesn't it?

• Like 1

Cheapest ebay listing as of now is $13k ($12,995.00) for both black and silver. Insanity?

Btw, I spoke to one of Leica stores and they claim that those lenses only sold through Leica boutique stores. Not big retaltersa like B&H. Even though B&H has both silver and black versions listed in their web site. Just for the sake of listing?

Anyone?

Your best chance to get one is perhaps at leica Boutique store, I  was offered Black apo 50 few weeks ago but I declined and requested Silver one, that i received one week ago. Beatiful,hefty chunk of glass with brass encasing  to support it.

Sami

• Like 1

Your best chance to get one is perhaps at leica Boutique store, I  was offered Black apo 50 few weeks ago but I declined and requested Silver one, that i received one week ago. Beatiful,hefty chunk of glass with brass encasing  to support it.

Sami

I saw a black one in one Leica store. Really beautifully made piece. By far 50 mm APO in demand on its own right as "the best 50 mm ever made". And having this limited series issue makes those pieces even more desirable? 

Anyway, the red anodized 50 mm APO limited edition piece from 100 limited edition series of 2016 is listed now on eBay for.... $58,000.00!!! Having its original price tag of ~$9,000.00

I guess, no wonder this series will hold its value.

Edited by skater75
  • Like 1

Apo 50 LHSA is available at Downtown Camera Toronto Canada.

Someone asked previously if the hood would fit over with a UV filter attached, yes it will . But with the Leica UV filter attached the supplied push on lens cap ( for when the lens hood is not on) will not stay in place because of the added length of the UV filter. I use the plastic lens cap from my regular 50mm Summicron.

Also the hood must be reversed to use either the supplied lens hood cap  or the plastic lens cap, as there is no lens cap that fits with the hood attached in the normal

fitment position.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

LHSA 50 mm APO on M246

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I hesitated today a lot to buy a black paint LHSA APO. it really costs a silly amount of money. Nevertheless, I still hesitated. But then I mounted my pristine Rigid to the M10 and the urge dissappeared  :D  :D  :D

Edited by horosu
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Apo 50 LHSA is available at Downtown Camera Toronto Canada.

Someone asked previously if the hood would fit over with a UV filter attached, yes it will . But with the Leica UV filter attached the supplied push on lens cap ( for when the lens hood is not on) will not stay in place because of the added length of the UV filter. I use the plastic lens cap from my regular 50mm Summicron.

Also the hood must be reversed to use either the supplied lens hood cap  or the plastic lens cap, as there is no lens cap that fits with the hood attached in the normal

fitment position.

I called the store. And they don't have those lenses in the store. Even though they are listed on their web site as available. Could place an order, but not sure if the lens ever be available as it is the limited issue.

On the top of that the store cannot ship the lens outside the Canada. Even to US. You have to come to the store to pick it up. And pay the sales tax of 14% which is not even refundable by any means. That would bring the cost over $11,000 USD... :((((

• Like 1

Has anyone located the LHSA inscription on their lens. I have located the serial # but cannot find the LHSA logo.

The special edition serial numbers are on the aperture ring, while the LHSA logo is inscribed (without inlay) on the bayonet rings, just above the ‘Made in Germany’ lettering.

Has anyone located the LHSA inscription on their lens. I have located the serial # but cannot find the LHSA logo.

The special edition serial numbers are on the aperture ring, while the LHSA logo is inscribed (without inlay) on the bayonet rings, just above the ‘Made in Germany’ lettering.

Just adding to this, The LHSA logo can be mistaken as a Leica logo as they use the same font, shape, and overall design.

You can see the LHSA logo on these renderings from when we finalized the design spec of the lens. The whole idea was to make the logo more discreet, yet still be present. On the 35/2 silver chrome Summicron that accompanied the LHSA Hammertone MP, the LHSA logo was filled in with black paint. So for the APO 50 ASPH and the earlier LHSA 50 Summilux ASPH, we left the engraving unfilled. Yes, the LHSA logo does have more than a passing resemblance to the Leica logo, and this is of course, intentional on our part. We have been using this logo for most of our 50 year history. 

• Like 3

Thanks, i was not looking close enough and just assumed it was the Leica logo, untill your replies.

• Like 2