LHSA 50th Anniversary Special Edition APO Summicron-M 50 f/2 ASPH [merged]

dugby

In the current issue of Viewfinder (Feb. 8, 2018), Bill Rosauer writes that “Fortunately, the construction of the new 50 APO could provide the foundation for a retro styled body to be used.” Black lacquer or silver chrome body, obviously, but will it be an M-A (not currently available in black lacquer), M10, or perhaps an M10 monochrome (though too far off in development)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the current issue of Viewfinder (Feb. 8, 2018), Bill Rosauer writes that “Fortunately, the construction of the new 50 APO could provide the foundation for a retro styled body to be used.” Black lacquer or silver chrome body, obviously, but will it be an M-A (not currently available in black lacquer), M10, or perhaps an M10 monochrome (though too far off in development)?

Hello Ernest,

Ahhh, you are reading a bit too much into what I was saying. Forgive my poor sentence construction, what I meant to say that the 50 APO lens could provide a foundation for the retro styled I specified. Leica did not have to redesign the lens to accomodate the retro styled body we did for the 50th Anniversary LHSA Special.

However, there may be a LHSA retro styled camera body coming as well later in the year. The introduction of the M10 derailed the special edition camera we originally had planned. We shall see!

Edited by derleicaman
  • Like 5

Hello Ernest,

Ahhh, you are reading a bit too much into what I was saying. Forgive my poor sentence construction, what I meant to say that the 50 APO lens could provide a foundation for the retro styled I specified. Leica did not have to redesign the lens to accomodate the retro styled body we did for the 50th Anniversary LHSA Special.

However, there may be a LHSA retro styled camera body coming as well later in the year. The introduction of the M10 derailed the special edition camera we originally had planned. We shall see!

Nice to meet you here Bill!

Looking forward to the retro styled body, film I hope?

Hari

Hello Ernest,

First, congratulations for being honored as President Emeritus of the Society and recognized for your valuable contributions to LHSA!

Second, thank you for posting links to your encyclopediac article on “The Bokeh Kings” and your Viewfinder snapshot of “LHSA Special Editions“ giving us an inside look at the planning and challenges that result in a special edition. You reported that “originally, a special edition set consisting of a camera and lens was envisioned, but the introduction of the new Leica M10 last January changed that plan.” Oh, to be a fly on the wall at some of those meetings and hear the run-up to the special edition camera that may come out next year. Yes, I misinterpreted that “the new 50 APO could provide foundation for a ‘retro style body’ to be used.” I mistook “retro style body” to mean camera body instead of body of the lens, itself. There is no mistaking, however, that unveiling the LHSA 50th Anniversary M camera body will be a much anticipated event. It did not go unnoticed that the 50 APOs, silver chrome and black paint, in your article were pictured mounted as expected on the M10 but also appropriately on a black paint M2. Applause, applause.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if we will get a heads up on the LHSA M body before later this year, black paint and silver chrome versions, even though some APOs have been released. Will it be released as a set with the LHSA APO? Will the numbered sets be in addition to the 500 APOs?

• 3 weeks later...

I hope it will not look like the MP3. That would be too tempting and could bring me into trouble...

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

Well, I think you will be able to handle that kind of trouble, smiling the whole time. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge. It is going to be a hard one to call: analog or digital in black paint and silver chrome. No doubt, it will be forward to the past with the APO already on the boards. Oh, boy! You are right! We are in for trouble. Wink, wink.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have a photo of the LHSA lens next to the non-limited APO? I would like to see the size difference.

Also is the focusing tab no longer there because I really don’t like using them.

Thanks

The focusing tab is not there for the LHSA version as it is not needed any more.