Ilford Delta 100 (120 format) - Sealing tape issues

EoinC

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Late November, I had a number (4, from memory) of films lost due to 2 separate pieces of the exposed film sealing tape from Delta 100 films floating around the magazine. I was shooting in NZ, and didn’t develop the films until I got back to Malaysia. On both occasions, the piece of tape found floating in the magazine was cut, not torn.

I assumed this was just a one-off (two-off?) with that batch of film. Now I am in Mumbai, with a completely separate batch of film (at least in terms of having been purchased from B&H about a year after the previous batch), and I found another miscreant clean-cut piece of tape after shooting a roll of Delta 100. I am very careful about removing all the roll-sealing tape prior to loading, and have been checking the empty magazines, so this must come from inside the roll. A hint is that the sealing tape for the exposed film has, on several occasions, been short.

Anybody else experiencing these frolics? I really like Delta 100, but not to the extent of shooting it, developing it, and throwing it away.

• Like 2

Harman / Ilford have responded, informing that they haven’t encountered this before, but they will review the situation. They also said they would send some replacement film (which I didn’t ask for).

I still have 5 rolls left from that batch. If I encounter it again, I’ll save the leftover for them.

You don't mention your camera band - but I have had the silver tongue-shaped pressure spring (see below) of a Hassy magazine "eat" an inch (or more) off the exposed-film sealing tape of some rolls of Kodak 120 films.

I can feel the final wind-on get really stiff (to the point where I sometimes fear for the mechanism), and then "give" very suddenly as the strip tears. I can't say they were very clean tears - but if there is a weak point where the tape is folded over or creased in wrapping into the spool at manufacture, that might make for a rather clean, straight tear.

The film and backing paper follow the normal path "inside" the spring onto the spool, but the tape sticks up enough to get pryed away from the backing paper by the spring tip, and get guillotined off eventually (sometimes with accordion folds added.)

http://www.profilmdirect.co.uk/ekmps/shops/howardt/images/hasselblad-v-system-12-medium-format-film-magazine-chrome-[2]-977-p.jpg

• Like 2

The camera is a Hasselblad SWC, Andy.

However, I don’t think the issue is the same as the one you describe, as the pieces of tape (ie the loose piece, and the remaining piece attached to the backing paper) are very clean cut, at 90º. I have been using 3 different magazines, and haven’t experienced the hard-to-wind / sudden-release. I’ve also been using Tri-X, Ektar 100, and Neopan Acros 100 interspersed with the Delta 100. This problem has only occurred with Delta 100, and only in 4 films out of perhaps 25 Delta 100 shot.

• 1 month later...