LEICA, we need IBIS !

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That is quite true, but IBIS requires in-camera hardware, so it will never happen in this body.
OIS could be implemented on new lenses, for instance a slightly increased version of the DG Vario-Elmar 100-400, a truly brilliant MFT lens, with OIS, which could surely be adapted to cover a larger image circle, at a not-too large increase in size and weight.

OIS is not more useful for those who wish to use M, R or other-brand legacy lenses.

A sense of balance is needed? IS is fine if your subject is static, but a bit of a waste if you're shooting moving people or other moving objects (unless you want them blurred against a static background of course). I'm happy to have IS, but I only need it on rare occasions.

True, however in non people shots it is useful in many situations. I gave an example in #40 post using wide lens in day time.

That is quite true, but IBIS requires in-camera hardware, so it will never happen in this body.

OIS could be implemented on new lenses, for instance a slightly increased version of the DG Vario-Elmar 100-400, a truly brilliant MFT lens, with OIS, which could surely be adapted to cover a larger image circle, at a not-too large increase in size and weight.

Highlight mine. Well, you did you mean to say, Leica doesn't have know-how to do IBIS in this body? Sony shows that it can be done. 

Edited by jmahto

I saw your post and I thought: even with IS, the slightest wind would mean you'd lose leaf detail because of the longer exposure!

I can live with that. Losing DR is bigger pain. But I agree that it is bigger deal in long lenses, however if you have IBIS then at least you have an option to use in all sort of FL.

Edited by jmahto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Either a new body with IBIS or new lenses with OIS is new hardware.  Considering the pace of Leica's lens development, IBIS would provide a stabilization option to a wider range of focal lengths much more quickly.

Highlight mine. Well, you did you mean to say, Leica doesn't have know-how to do IBIS in this body? Sony shows that it can be done. 

I'm sure they know how to do IBIS - at the very least they have full access to Panasonic technology, which is industry-leading. I am equally convinced that they could not offer IBIS in the CL and keep it this size. We will have to wait for a next iteration, when miniaturization has progressed. Hopefully.

Don't forget that this camera is more compact than some of the latest MFT cameras, despite the larger sensor size.

I think we will see IBIS in the SL first.

Either a new body with IBIS or new lenses with OIS is new hardware.  Considering the pace of Leica's lens development, IBIS would provide a stabilization option to a wider range of focal lengths much more quickly.

Hold on - they have only introduced the system a few weeks before. A new body, despite being on the drawing boards right now, will not appear within three years. Are you willing to wait so long?  Extending the lens range is quite a different matter.

I'm sure they know how to do IBIS - at the very least they have full access to Panasonic technology, which is industry-leading. I am equally convinced that they could not offer IBIS in the CL and keep it this size. We will have to wait for a next iteration, when miniaturization has progressed. Hopefully.

I think we will see IBIS in the SL first.

I am sure FF body will see it first (Sony did the same). But then many (like me) will have to skip current generation. But then, that is how technical development and business is...

+1

how tiring, I've just read the whole of this thread, and I've been playing with a Panasonic G9 for the last week.

I can understand that Leica may have licensing or logistical reasons for not including IBIS on the CL

. . . but I can't see a real world problem. It would be great with M lenses and the really fine TL lenses. Arguing against it is just  . . meh!

• Like 3

I want it all. IS in new lenses (start with a 16-55 2.8-4 and a 55-200 2.8-4) AND IBIS in new bodies.

When I travel for photography I seriously find it difficult to pack any Leica because they do some silly firmware stuff and don't have IS in the TL system.

The TL lenses are stellar but often I'm getting better results with m43 because of the IS system. Lens or body.

Gordon

• Like 2

+1

how tiring, I've just read the whole of this thread, and I've been playing with a Panasonic G9 for the last week.

I can understand that Leica may have licensing or logistical reasons for not including IBIS on the CL

. . . but I can't see a real world problem. It would be great with M lenses and the really fine TL lenses. Arguing against it is just . . meh!

It will be great with R lenses as well.

Not many years ago the photographer was the only OIS system available in cameras.

Have we all become so lazy and inept that we can no longer take conventional handheld photographs ....... even with the advantage of fast lenses and increasingly high ISO ceilings ?

All these threads are full of 'I want', 'I want', 'I want' ......

Almost all the situations that you want OIS for are static ...... in which case a bit of thought and improvisation usually will get you down to well below conventional handheld speeds. 

OIS is nice, but I'm not going to throw my dolly out of the pram if I can't have it ......  :huh:

ps ...... and there will be the same grumbles about the new SL 75/2 and 90/2 lenses ........ moans about no OIS .... but if the lenses had it they would be bigger and heavier .... and then there would be moans about that instead .....

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 3

Not many years ago the photographer was the only OIS system available in cameras. [...snip wisdom ...]

As you wrote (snipped) very many technical challenges to photography have been solved, at least in part, through technology so that new adapters take it for granted. So be it. They are self-identified, secured in their niche, isolated in an aurora of ignorance. For many of us who pursue aged techniques, the shortcomings of photo-phenomena point to the very most important point of the art.

I find it interesting to avoid the opaque technology; to do the so very radial - look beyond what tech ignores.

Edited by pico

Not many years ago the photographer was the only OIS system available in cameras.

Have we all become so lazy and inept that we can no longer take conventional handheld photographs ....... even with the advantage of fast lenses and increasingly high ISO ceilings ?

I don't know about you but I like being able to make detailed photos at slower shutter speeds than before without a huge tripod and without a noise penalty.

One big advantage optical stabilization has it that off-the-shelf aperture/OIS units are available to all makers.

Edited by wildlightphoto