Update Me on Electronic Flash with Leica 240

ktmrider2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As shown on another thread, I just purchased a Leica MP240.  My daughter is getting married in late May and the ceremony is outside and it will extend into the evening hours.  What type of electronic flash works with the 240?  I don't use flash often but would like something that does TTL and produces good results.  

Thanks

You have a challenge ahead of you. You can only use a Leica flash for TTL - no other flash can communicate with the camera for TTL.

And, IMO, with any camera you will struggle to get "good results" with on-camera flash outdoors (i.e. no nice white ceiling or walls to bounce flash from). That scenario is a recipe for hard, flat, unforgiving portraits!

Other than that, I hope your daughter's wedding goes well. I've married off three of them and enjoyed them all.

You have a challenge ahead of you. You can only use a Leica flash for TTL - no other flash can communicate with the camera for TTL.

And, IMO, with any camera you will struggle to get "good results" with on-camera flash outdoors (i.e. no nice white ceiling or walls to bounce flash from). That scenario is a recipe for hard, flat, unforgiving portraits!

Other than that, I hope your daughter's wedding goes well. I've married off three of them and enjoyed them all.

Why should you use TTL? Any SCA flash works brilliantly on "A" and costs peanuts. My preference is the Metz 32CT7 (SCA 300 type), but there are many different SCA flashguns around. The SCA 3105 adapter is still available AFAIK, at any rate easy to find.

Do use a diffuser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UFGy3F2Suc

Well, I posted over on RFF but I owned a Leica M6TTL with SF40 flash back in the mid 1990's and actually thought it worked pretty well.  Since I don't use flash much if at all (probably ten years since I have had one attached to the camera) I thought Leica might have made some strides in this area.  Guess not so maybe I will just put a very fast lens on the M240 and take what I can get or use my Fuji X70 which does flash fill quite well.  

I mean it only took Leica 30 years to add AE to a camera when Minolta offered it on the CLE back in the 1980's.  What a fool I am.

I found a Visitor 2800 in the photo cabinet and just put batteries in it.  It fired right up and works just fine with one of my film M's.  Is it safe to use with the M240?  Have not had it on a camera in ten years at least.

35 Cron is a bit slow.  I am thinking 35f1.2 Nokton.  But the 50 Cron is the fastest 50 I own so I am sure it will see some use at the wedding.  

Edited by ktmrider2
  • Like 1

On my M240 I use the Mecablitz Metz 40MZ-3i with the SCA3502-M5 adapter, in fully Automatic "A" mode on the flash.

This Metz has twin reflectors , the main flash has 90% of the light and can be bounced, the second is a fill-in with 10%.

It is very reliable light source without the usual light "hardness" of single reflector flash guns.

Edited by dugby

I have a slew of flashes that play nice with the M240,including Vivitar 2800,  the redoubtable Vivitar 283 and Sunpak 383 Super, and a couple Metz 54 MZ3's.  The latter has the original M1 Leica R8 module, which communicates ISO (and zooms for focal length IF the lens is coded).  I use them all in AUTO mode.  Because of the need for pre-flash, I find TTL slower, and annoying to the subject.  A Nikon SB24/25/26 will work fine in AUTO mode also.  What I don't like about those big shoe-mount units is how top-heavy they are, and thus how much strain they put on the camera's top plate. 

I prefer the SF24D, of which I have a couple used ones bought for around $125.  I use these only in A mode.  They have 2 downsides though.  One is they don't take rechargeable AAs, however the Li batteries while expensive and not that widely available, are light weight and long-lasting. The other downside it no tilt for bounce flash.  However a Sto-Fen Omnibounce model "C" friction-fits on top and acts like a dandy diffuser.  The same model also fits Metz 54 MZ3/4, Nikon SB24/25/26, and Canon 380GX. 

I use an ancient Nikon SB-25 flash and a wireless flash trigger set [ https://www.amazon.com/Phottix-Ares-Wireless-Flash-Trigger/dp/B00A4BR7KG/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1516465998&sr=1-2&keywords=phottix+ares+wireless+trigger+set ] with my MP-240.  If you go that route, you can use pretty much any flash unit.  Off camera flash with a diffuser eliminates the harsh spotlight look that on camera flash produces.  Off camera flash works best if you can enlist the assistance of another wedding attendee to hold the flash while you photograph, but you can do it alone if the need arises.

As for high ISO shooting, I would not go higher than 1/3 of the M-P 240's maximum ISO in order to avoid having excessive noise in your images.  If you want to go with existing light outdoors during evening hours, I would recommend using a monopod with the fastest lens you own or can borrow/rent and a maximum ISO of 1600 or perhaps 2000 at the outside.

Edited by Herr Barnack