Practicality of using R Lenses on CL?

I have 35mm, 60mm Macro & 90mm Elmarit-R's plus the 21-35mm Vario Elmar for use with my R5 and occasionally via the R Adaptor M on my M240.  In considering the purchase of a CL, I wonder how practical in terms of focus, balance and handling using such lenses on the CL would be? The change in focal length in that they would become 52mm, 90mm, 135mm and 32-52mm respectively is also a factor.  Obviously I would have to stack the R Adaptor M onto a M Adaptor T/L, adding weight and length to the assembly.

Anyone with relevant experience?

I have successfully used the 90 mm Summicron-R via R to M and M to CL adaptors stacked. Focus is a snap and I like the results, but not the handling (balance). No problems with shake handheld.

• 1 year later...

Hello friends, I need some advice....I inherited 3 gorgeous R lenses from my father, Vario elmar 3.5 28-70, Summicron 1.2, 50. and the cinematic elmarit 2.8 135. Here is the question. I am using them on a sony ar7, which is ok for its full frame, although the color is flat and the high ISO is awful. Is it worth it to buy an M240 to get the processor and live view? Do I really need an extra viewfinder in this case? Is it worth it to buy the CL, given the problem of the cut sensor? Arent the blacks much noisier? The files smaller? Is the EVF that much of an advantage for manual focus? (im 75 and my ability to pull focus isnt what it should be).

Thank for any advice you can give. 

Patrick, Recife Brazil

It's been a while since I posted in this thread. I've now owned the CL for almost a year and have made several thousand photographs with it using R and M mount lenses only. 

My R lenses are amongst my favorite lenses of all. Aside from the Leicaflex SL and Leica R6, I've used them on Sony A7 (worked okay, didn't like the camera at all), on the Leica M-P 240 (work well, handling is a little awkward, EVF viewfinder is a bit less than I'd prefer), on the Leica SL (excellent match to the camera, excellent viewfinder), and now on the Leica CL (still an excellent match to the camera, excellent handling and viewfinder). 

I don't find them unbalanced or out of place on the CL at all: the lens plus mount adapters provide a solid, secure grip on the camera and lens assembly, the controls are all nicely placed, etc. If anything, I find it even better than the SL because the body is so much lighter and smaller it doesn't get in the way or require as much effort to hold steadily. 

Of course you have to remember that a 135mm lens nets the magnification of a 200mm equivalent FF FoV, so when working with longer focal lengths keep the shutter speed up and/or use a tripod if you want best results.