M10 + R 80-200 f4

chris_tribble

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After my brief flirtation with the CL I'm back squarely working with the M - and discovering new potential.  I had to do a job yesterday where I would normally have taken the 5D III + 70-200 2.8 L IS lens, but didn't have this with me.  So I took the M10s + usual lenses AND the R 80-200 + EVF visoflex and a monopod.  Obviously it's not as easy as a longish fast telephoto with AF and IS, but nevertheless the M10 + 80-200 did a remarkably good job.  Working with horrible inside light and at 3200 I was able to get many more keepers than I'd expexted.  Example below (at 1/60th!).  Any similar experiences?  I'm certainly not regretting saying goodbye to the CL...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

PS - the gentleman looks moved because he's listening to oral history testament relating to the experience of the fishing communities around Morecambe Bay in the north of England - I was doing the job for a local charitable foundation the Morecambe Bay Partnership http://www.morecambebay.org.uk/ :)

Edited by chris_tribble
  • Like 3

I also loved 80-200R on M240. Very easy to focus due to the bite when in focus. One has to keep going back and forth to find good focus if the lens is not sharp enough.

Due to its bulk, I think it is too much for APS-C though.

Two thoughts.

1. On APS-C the 80-200 became 135-280 (approx) and (without image stabilisation) was very difficult to work with.

2. On the M240 the EVF never really did the job for me.  However, on the M10, I find the Visoflex genuinely usable, so combining the M10, EVF, monopod and 80-200 gives me a viable telephoto option...

Another reason why the CL went...

• Like 2

Two thoughts.

1. On APS-C the 80-200 became 135-280 (approx) and (without image stabilisation) was very difficult to work with.

2. On the M240 the EVF never really did the job for me. However, on the M10, I find the Visoflex genuinely usable, so combining the M10, EVF, monopod and 80-200 gives me a viable telephoto option...

Another reason why the CL went...

I can focus easily on M240, however my main issue with this lens is shuttershock with LV on at slower speeds. Not sure whether M10 is better in this regard. How low you could go with your monopod on M10?

I used to have that lens when I was into the R system.   Now I have the previous version, the ex-Minolta 70-210 f/4, in fact I have 2 of them (together less than half the cost of repurchasing the ex-Kyocera 80-200).  It's a remarkably good performer compared against the 80-200 (and EOS EF 70-200), and it's shorter physical length, lighter weight, and one-touch operation makes up for some of the disadvantage of not having AF and IS.

• Like 2

I used to have that lens when I was into the R system.   Now I have the previous version, the ex-Minolta 70-210 f/4, in fact I have 2 of them (together less than half the cost of repurchasing the ex-Kyocera 80-200).  It's a remarkably good performer compared against the 80-200 (and EOS EF 70-200), and it's shorter physical length, lighter weight, and one-touch operation makes up for some of the disadvantage of not having AF and IS.

Not sure, but could this lens be the same as the Nikon 70-210 f4 with the "push-pull" zoom? Both lenses maybe even made by either Minolta or Nikon and then branded (?).....and yes I agree with bocaburger, the lens does perform well, less so on the M10 but very nicely on a Nikon system.

Chris's post had me try my Nikon 70-210 on the M10 with my Nik-M adapter, and yes it worked pretty well. Horrible to balance out and focus though and I can understand why Chris used a monopod. I'd never use this combo' other than as the experiment to see if it did work, that done for me there's no point in trying to use the lens on my M10 for real. Far better to use it on the 810 where function and balance works a hell of a lot better.

Not sure, but could this lens be the same as the Nikon 70-210 f4 with the "push-pull" zoom? Both lenses maybe even made by either Minolta or Nikon and then branded (?).....and yes I agree with bocaburger, the lens does perform well, less so on the M10 but very nicely on a Nikon system.

Chris's post had me try my Nikon 70-210 on the M10 with my Nik-M adapter, and yes it worked pretty well. Horrible to balance out and focus though and I can understand why Chris used a monopod. I'd never use this combo' other than as the experiment to see if it did work, that done for me there's no point in trying to use the lens on my M10 for real. Far better to use it on the 810 where function and balance works a hell of a lot better.

No AFAIK it's not related to the Nikkor at all.  Optically it's the same as the Minolta SLR lens of the same era, but the mount build quality is much better IMO.  Some say the coatings are improved compared to Minolta's, but I can't attest to that one way or the other.  I use mine with the Leica R-M adapter which has a tripod bush, and I can attach my Leitz table tripod as a chestpod for more stability if I need.  (I also have a Novoflex R-M adapter, which I use exclusively on my 400/6.8 Telyt as it doesn't vignette severely as the Leica adapter does.  The Novoflex doesn't have a tripod bush, but the Telyt does).

I went the same direction as you. Sold my 70-210 for the 80-200 but it was way too heavy for my liking. (and I used to own the modular 280mm F2.8 - younger days were different) Went back to the 70-210 (700g versus the 1kg) for my M10 use

Now that I have the CL and bought the 55-135mm TL lens, I am considering selling the 70-210 (not acting rash this time - see how the TL performs over time first). Or might buy an R to TL mount adapter and have a 105mm to 315mm lens as well. :)

Chris

This is actually a lens I was considering to go with my m10, for travel and tripod moments, however I would stay with my Summilux 50/1.4 or 0.95 Noctilux for everyday use, as that is how I “see”. I currently have an elmarit 180/2.8 with the Leica M/R tripod mount adaptor that was a hand-me-down and I would like something a little more flexible when using a long lens. I am only 5’1” so I need to keep my backpack efficient as I also tend to carry my mm mounted with the one of the 50mm lenses. Your thoughts on comparison? Weight? Ease of use? thank you. Oh, I also have 21mm M lens for the other end of the spectrum and two OUFROs that are great fun to use.

Kaethe

Chris

thank you for the prompt reply. That is a few more paychecks, for one thing. I should clarify, if I went with the 80-200, I would sell the 180. Not sure the 135 will give me the long range I would want for those travel or wildlife moments.

Kaethe

Kaethe - the 135 is a surprising lens with a reach that's more than you expect.  There's a great video of Don McCullin testing the Canon 5D mkIII where he talks about the only lenses he really needs being a 28 and a 135.  Makes you think! http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/Don_McCullin.do

For me, the issue with longer lenses on the M is that unless you use a monopod (at least) it's really difficult to get sharp images - and it really isn't a light or compact option if you're trekking.  On the trail, I'm now taking a 35 cron asph and 90 Macro Elmar most of the time (and with the macro attachment I can also do flowers and insects :)).  This is super light combination and gives surprising reach.  If I knew that I was going to really need to compress perspective I'd carry the 135.

Still - you know your needs better than I do - so best of luck with your choices.  If you do go for the R 80-200 f4 it's a lovely lens...

Edited by chris_tribble

I find the 80-200 fairly easy to handheld outdoor in daylight. normally I fix the shutter speed to 1/500 or higher, then I set the camera in auto iso mode and stop down to get “enough” DOF. This way you will get sharp images with some sacrifices of noise depending on available light but up to ISO 6400 is any way no big issue.

Other option would be to use A mode and auto iso with fixed min shutter speed to 1/500. Both ways work great for me, but since 1/500 is max you can set the camera tends to stay with this.

Of course you still have to lug around 1kg of lens :)

Edited by mmx_2

True. However, I've come to the conclusion that if I really need telephoto I'd rather carry the 5D III and the wonderful Canon 70-300 f4-5.6 USM L. Ok, there's a weight issue, but it has bomb proof AF and 4 stops of image stabilisation. I can hand hold at 1/60 and get pin sharp images at moderate ISO. Combined with an M10 and the WATE it's a chunky but very competent set up.

Still, most of time in still happier and lighter with M only

The Leica designed Kyocera built 80-200/4ROM is a seriously good lens. At the time of release it was likened to a "lite" version of the the legendary 70-180/2.8 APO. I've had one for almost 15 years, used mostly on my two DMRs. Although I have bought the Novoflex adapter in the last few weeks, I have yet to try it in anger on my M10. Somehow I'm not sure that the Viso 020 will be anywhere as good as the OVF on the R9. For use in gigs, any delay isn't helpful and would render the Viso 020 pretty much useless.

Anyway, here is Van Morrison taken with the 80-200/4 ROM R9/DMR (cropped image) from the sound desk back in 2007. (This shot was used in Gregory Porter's recent film documentary "Don't forget the music")

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1