Lens cleaning marks

FrankA

Sure you can get cleaning marks, just be careless with sand when polishing.

It is true that modern coatings are less vulnerable to scratching than vintage ones, but they can certainly be damaged if you put your mind to it.

Fortunately it takes quite an impressive amount of abuse to a front element to affect image quality.

I don't understand how it is possible to buy 5K$ Leica lens and not get 50$ MC modern clean protective filter for it (rated for digital, not UV filters from film era). 

I have this filters at all of my for Leica lenses. On film and digital M. I don't know if technology was improved since it was UV filters, but here is absolutely no issues at all.

I get bird poop direct hit on my new Leica lens. It is worst than sand then it gets on front lens and ring holding it. But I had protective filter on this lens. 

I never have to clean my lenses, because of it. 

• Like 4

Lens coatings are not there to protect the glass - they are there to reduce reflections from the glass and thus 1) reduce flare potential, and 2) increase light transmission and contrast/clarity.

The magnesium/calcium fluorides usually used for optical coatings are actually less hard that glass (roughly a 4:5.5 ratio).

• Like 3

I don't understand how it is possible to buy 5K$ Leica lens and not get 50$ MC modern clean protective filter for it (rated for digital, not UV filters from film era).

I have this filters at all of my for Leica lenses. On film and digital M. I don't know if technology was improved since it was UV filters, but here is absolutely no issues at all.

I get bird poop direct hit on my new Leica lens. It is worst than sand then it gets on front lens and ring holding it. But I had protective filter on this lens.

I prefer a hood and no clear filter.

Jeff

• Like 1

If you buy the best glass (i.e. leica lenses) money can buy, do you really want to put something in front of it at all.

• Like 3

If you buy the best glass (i.e. leica lenses) money can buy, do you really want to put something in front of it at all.

Me - yes I do. There are many credible tests on the web showing there is no detriment to image quality. A hood will not stop sea spray, with its salt granules.

I don't know where this fallacy that Leica lenses are somehow titanium coated and won't damage. I've read the same type of comment quite a few times on the web.

You WILL scratch your lens whenever you clean it, maybe micro scratches that you won't notice but it will happen. Cleaning marks are the accumulative effect of years of cleaning or just clumsy people who use dirty cloths.

The best thing if you don't use a filter is not to clean the lens unless absolutely necessary. Normal levels of dust or small specks on the front element won't affect image quality, same as a quality filter won't.

• Like 4

Yes, but like you've said earlier "Fortunately it takes quite an impressive amount of abuse to a front element to affect image quality" 

So I think it'll remain the best glass even with a small mark on the front element... :)

Yes -  try and sell a lens with that mark... :rolleyes:

I don't know where this fallacy that Leica lenses are somehow titanium coated and won't damage. I've read the same type of comment quite a few times on the web.

You WILL scratch your lens whenever you clean it, maybe micro scratches that you won't notice but it will happen. Cleaning marks are the accumulative effect of years of cleaning or just clumsy people who use dirty cloths.

The best thing if you don't use a filter is not to clean the lens unless absolutely necessary. Normal levels of dust or small specks on the front element won't affect image quality, same as a quality filter won't.

Actually Titanium scratches rather easily :p

I have a collection of trashed filters that I have put in front of the best glass. This should tell you something.

• Like 3

Our province birds will poop on the lens or filter despite hood. Ethier hear of precise bombing? This what those flying beasts are!

Easy solution... don’t point lens up at pooping birds. Has worked for me for 40 years. No sideways pooping birds here.

But there’s a time and place for prudence, e.g., windy sand and surf. No clear filter at night with bright lights. Clear filter in rain for best weather seal. Etc. Common sense.

Jeff

• Like 2