New SL Owner need some Help Please!

roofus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am a new SL owner. I also own a Q and a M-P 240, so I have some familiarity with the Leica brand.

I while I like the robust build and the image quality of the SL, I find the menu system, the owner’s manual, and the controls challenging to say the least!

For the moment, I have two questions I would like help with from more experienced members.

1      I keep inadvertently putting the camera in video mode. Then I can’t get it out of video mode to still mode. The only way I have been able to get it out of video mode is by doing a reset! Does anyone have any idea how I am kicking it into video mode unintentionally? I must be hitting some button by accident! Secondly, how do I get out of video mode to still mode easily?

2      In the “Setup” menu, the “Edit File Name” option brings up a keyboard with no backspace option, no delete key, no reset option . . . It’s only a primitive alpha keyboard. How do you change or delete an incorrect entry?

Thanks in advance!

Don

(roofus is the dog!)

1. The left button on the top toggles between video and still (short press).

2. You can only change the first letter. So there is no need for 'backspace' etc. Choose something between A to Z and press OK. If you want another prefix, just repeat this procedure.

• Like 1

1      I keep inadvertently putting the camera in video mode. Then I can’t get it out of video mode to still mode. The only way I have been able to get it out of video mode is by doing a reset! Does anyone have any idea how I am kicking it into video mode unintentionally? I must be hitting some button by accident! Secondly, how do I get out of video mode to still mode easily?

The sooner Lecia implements a 'disable video' function for the SL the better.

• Like 2

I am a new SL owner. I also own a Q and a M-P 240, so I have some familiarity with the Leica brand.

I while I like the robust build and the image quality of the SL, I find the menu system, the owner’s manual, and the controls challenging to say the least!

For the moment, I have two questions I would like help with from more experienced members.

2      In the “Setup” menu, the “Edit File Name” option brings up a keyboard with no backspace option, no delete key, no reset option . . . It’s only a primitive alpha keyboard. How do you change or delete an incorrect entry?

Thanks in advance!

Don

(roofus is the dog!)

You have my sympathy.  I lost some important pictures in the early days from this problem

However I have learned to do a long press on the left button and it semi solves the problem - time and pictures still lost but the camera is restored.

More significant I believe is I got rid of the Standard strap, which I regard as a piece of form over function, and now use a Barber Shop Full Beard Single Cross Strap and have not experienced the problem since I changed.

Thanks in advance!

Don

(roofus is the dog!)

If you think Leica is bad,, wife was gifted a new Mac cell phone.   No instructions at all or even a help line #.

If you think Leica is bad,, wife was gifted a new Mac cell phone.   No instructions at all or even a help line #.

Such tosh. 

It's an "iPhone", not a "Mac cell phone".

• You didn't spend even a tenth of a second going to the apple.com website and checking the support tab, clicking on iPhone devices:  full documentation there, broken up into sections like "getting started, features you can take advantage of, etc, along with a search engine for the knowledge base.
  • The support phone line (in the USA, I don't have all the numbers worldwide handy) is 1-800-SOS-APPL (767-2775). It's listed in your AppleCare documentation, if you bought the extended warranty (highly recommended), in the tiny leaflet that's usually forgotten in the product box, and on the Apple.com support website. Apple provides technical and user support for nearly all products that were purchased from 1992 up. 
  • iPhone manuals are available on-line from https://support.apple.com/en_US/manuals/iphone ... Again, just go to the support page and search for Manuals. Many are available as PDF files that you can download and print out if you so desire. 
  • Chat-style interactive support, again with a real, live human being, is also available from the Apple.com support page.
  • Of course, Apple will give any purchaser a full training session with a live person at any Apple Store you want to walk into, world wide. Just call ahead and make an appointment if you don't want to wait. Personal support is free to new users on most products for the first up to three months, depending on the product, and for the length of the extended warranty if you paid for that. A nominal charge is made when you're into the paid support time. 

Transparency: I worked in Apple Developer Publications and Apple Product Documentation for the last six years of my career before I retired. It always galls me how people complain about a lack of documentation when it's absolutely obvious that they haven't spent even the barest fraction of a second seeking help using the extensive system of support services that Apple provides. 

• Like 2