50mm Elmar 2.8 - Any good on an M9?

Beena22

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Looking for opinions on an Elmar 2.8.

I love 50s but not the bulk of them compared to my tiny 35 Nokton Classic and so im after something a bit more portable that performs well and is cheap. You can pick these up for around £300, which is in my price range, but I want to know how good they are - particularly on an M9 if anyone has any experience of them.

I currently own a Planar and a Jupiter 3.

This is the version I’m looking at....

f30aed005bfa131fad83f35d477b4f7a.jpg

I was just using one (CLA'd a few years ago) on my M10. At 2.8 it has fair detail, but some definate "glow" around highlights. The glow is gone by 3.5, and I find the images quite pleasing.

However, for compact size and image quality I prefer the Summarit 50 2.5. It is basically the classic Summicron optics downsized to 2.5. This model is actually shorter than the (extended) Elmar.

CV also had an ltm 50 2.5 Color Skopar that is perhaps shorter than the Summarit. My sample is somewhat soft, but others have had better luck. Sean Reid really likes his.

snip ... Sometimes I wonder in landscapes what the APO 50 could have done better

I have read similar comments from others elsewhere regarding the modern Elmar-M 50.

I am really intrigued to try this modern version when I find one at a reasonable price and coded.

I appreciate coding is not necessarily required but it just makes it simpler.

I have had mine for years and have always found it good.  In close up mode it is capable of this:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This was taken using an M9 and a Focus-slide, but for general scenes it is fine, unless you get really piccy.  It is obviously not up to a  Summicron standard in the outer field, but all the same it is several hundred pounds cheaper!

Susie

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had -M (modern :) ) version. I sold it by mistake. I purchased it because it is great lens (on pictures), yet, I sold it because I was expecting it to be portable lens. But for me with protecting filter and original hood on it, it was not. With these necessary for me accessories added this lens wasn't compact at all. And then extracted it was long. Too long.

Edited by Ko.Fe.

For a few dollars more you can get the latest Elmar50 collapsible, which is astounding for its price. Sometimes I wonder in landscapes what the APO 50 could have done better

I have read similar comments from others elsewhere regarding the modern Elmar-M 50.

I am really intrigued to try this modern version when I find one at a reasonable price and coded.

I appreciate coding is not necessarily required but it just makes it simpler.

Stopped down? Probably nothing notable.

I compared the following 50mm lenses on a Monochrome v1 a few years ago: 2/50 APO-Sumicron, 1.4/50 Summilux ASPH, and 2.8/50 Elmarit-M.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/246073-add-elmar-m-50-or-rigid-summicron-to-summilux-50-asph/

Posts #6 to 12

Mark

• Like 1

I have the same model. Works well for me both on MP and M9. Use it more on MP as I read somewhere it's not advisable to collapse on a M9.

There are conflicting reports on that. The consensus appears to be that you can collapse it fine on the M9 though.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

To avoid possible misunderstandings, the Elmar 50/2.8 shown above is not the same lens as the Elmar-M 50/2.8. The Elmar was made from 1957 to 1971 while the Elmar-M was made from 1994 to 2005. As mentioned above, the Elmar-M is more contrasty. It has also a rectilinear mount contrary to the rotating one of the Elmar which optics rotate when focusing. The Elmar-M is significantly more expensve than the Elmar on the s/h market. FWIW.

There are conflicting reports on that. The consensus appears to be that you can collapse it fine on the M9 though.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yes you can collapse it on the digital M's. The advice is to only mount/unmount it in the extended position as you may scrape the innards of the camera if you're not careful.

• Like 1

For a few dollars more you can get the latest Elmar50 collapsible, which is astounding for its price. Sometimes I wonder in landscapes what the APO 50 could have done better

Here’s an example of that:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/266317-monochrom-1-v-monochrom-2/page-4?do=findComment&comment=3238850

Well the lens turned up today and it’s gorgeous. Perfect for what I wanted in terms of size. I took a few test shots whilst at work but will try it out properly tomorrow when I’m in London on business.

It certainly has some quirky ergonomics in terms of the huge focus throw, which makes the little tab a bit redundant. I may just need to get accustomed to it. Also the focus lock is a bit strange, although it certainly helps with being able to change the aperture, as that’s a bit of a pain because it rotates the barrel of its not locked.

Quirkiness aside, I love it so far and the shots I took looked really nice.

• Like 2