CL bottom plate

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My new CL jumped when I got of the car. I thought I had the strap but... I was lucky that nothing was really damaged, but now there is a scrape in one bottom corner. It is cosmetic but it bothers me. Sending ton

NJ would likely take 6 months. Any thoughts? I was thinking of trying Steve's Camera in LA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why should you send it in? A new bottom plate is only begging for a new scratch.

It is a tool. It gets used. It gets marks of use. The first is the worst, now you can use it without worrying.

Usually third-party repair shops are unwilling to/cannot do repairs on digital Leicas. And you would lose your guaranty.

• Like 2

My standard initial fix is Birchwood Casey Brass Black or Aluminium Black (depending on what the underlying alloy is mostly made of).

Both permanently oxidise and blacken the metal giving a close approximation of the original finish so scratches are hardly noticeable....... unless you look very closely. 

Made in the US for the gun trade mostly so you should find them easily. 

Filling and/or touching up with paint/pen etc. rarely gives an unobtrusive repair. 

ps.  both are excellent for covering the wear and tear you get on the ribbed bit of lenses and the sharper edges of the barrel.  :)

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 4