So I already asked about the half case, How about a briefcase?

jimleicam3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Very glad I traded in my SL, not that it isn't a great camera, but the M 10 is for me.  I did buy the Leica half case, good quality, and is filling the bill.  But, each and every day, I am still going to the office, and jamming my M 10 in with papers, iPhone, lunch and anything else i can find, into my briefcase.  How can I protect my camera and still lead a life as a working stiff?  What kind of briefcases are you trotting off to work with and your M 10?

Cheers!!

• Like 1

That's a great idea. I just let mine ride rough, but have an overlarge microfiber cloth folded up that I'll wrap the camera in if anything particularly risky to the camera is in my briefcase at the same time. Those pouches are lovely though! 

Something like this, perhaps?   :p

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

you likely don't need a new bag, a domke wrap or something similar will be just fine. The camera pouch posted earlier would be good too, though for that price a new bag might be a good alternative. 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/16159-REG/Domke_722_15B_15x15_Color_Coded_Protective.html

I carried my m6 with this for years in my regular ol messenger bag. 

Peak and ONA make decent bags that don't necessarily look like camera bags, but they're also a little tight on space for the size they are. They are good if you're carrying a whole kit, but if it's just a body and lens I find them to be overkill and the trade off with carrying your other stuff (papers/books/laptop etc) is a pain. 

Peak and ONA make decent bags that don't necessarily look like camera bags, but they're also a little tight on space for the size they are. They are good if you're carrying a whole kit, but if it's just a body and lens I find them to be overkill and the trade off with carrying your other stuff (papers/books/laptop etc) is a pain.

I use the leather Ona Bowery. It easily fits an M10 with lens and two other lenses in gloves. Then you still have decent place left for filters, batteries etc in separate compartments. I don’t think you want to take more with you on an average day trip.

But I don’t think TS is looking for a second bag, he is primarily looking for protection for his M10.

I use the leather Ona Bowery. It easily fits an M10 with lens and two other lenses in gloves. Then you still have decent place left for filters, batteries etc in separate compartments. I don’t think you want to take more with you on an average day trip.

But I don’t think TS is looking for a second bag, he is primarily looking for protection for his M10.

yes I own an ONA union street - the biggest one, and when it comes to also carrying the things one would need to carry to work, I find it is a pretty poor solution. It is a camera/laptop bag that works well and fits leica and lenses no problem, but the overall size of the bag isn't really conducive to books, papers etc any other stuff. Therefore I'm not sure it would be a good solution. When I just need leica with lens but have books, papers etc, I'll use a normal messenger bag and domke wrap, it is much more space efficient. 

I use a Zing neoprene pouch to protect my M-P 240 and 35 Summicron when carrying them around in my rucksack:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/113798-REG/Zing_Designs_565_421_STB1_Stuff_Pouch_Black_Blue.html?sts=pi-ps

I recommend this pouch - it works very well for carrying an M camera with a lens mounted in a non-padded bag or rucksack that is not designed for camera gear.  It should work equally well for carrying an M in a briefcase.

Edited by Herr Barnack

I actually have the same inquiry in mind and have sort of developed a hacked solution but it isn't so elegant as a dedicated briefcase with camera inserts.

I currently use an ONA Bowery and use it as an "insert" into a Tumi backpack.  Unfortunately, the backpack is fairly thin and is geared towards carrying a thinner laptop and not too many additional peripherals.

So I usually have the laptop in hand and the M plus a pair of headphones in the back.  I guess I could probably get away with dismounting the lens.

The backpack approach is definitely a sportier look than a formal briefcase though.

I spend a lot of time walking around inner city areas with my Leica stuff.  I think the worst thing that I could do would be to walk around the streets with a sign saying "there's $20,000.00 of glass and metal in my bag, please hit me over the head and take it from me".  Instead Ive chosen a nice military bag that just makes it look like I have a subscription to Soldier of Fortune magazine.  Walk softly and carry a big stick.  Don't advertise to the world that you would make a good target.  These are  my Canadian armed forces issue camera bags.  Best bags that Iv ever had.  I can fit an M body, 5 lenses, and 5 extra batteries as well as a macbook air in each.  And its not heavy like the leather bags. 

J7

• Like 1

I spend a lot of time walking around inner city areas with my Leica stuff.  I think the worst thing that I could do would be to walk around the streets with a sign saying "there's $20,000.00 of glass and metal in my bag, please hit me over the head and take it from me".  Instead Ive chosen a nice military bag that just makes it look like I have a subscription to Soldier of Fortune magazine.  Walk softly and carry a big stick.  Don't advertise to the world that you would make a good target.  These are  my Canadian armed forces issue camera bags.  Best bags that Iv ever had.  I can fit an M body, 5 lenses, and 5 extra batteries as well as a macbook air in each.  And its not heavy like the leather bags. 

J7

That has been my approach the past few months.  I have gravitated to Filson bags - their Rucksack, Small Field Bag and Medium Field Bag.  The Rucksack will carry a ton of M camera gear while the Field Bags are handy for carrying a smaller kit.

I love all three, but I think the Rucksack is my favorite:  https://www.filson.com/luggage-bags/backpacks-rucksacks/rucksack.html

I use a Leather ONA Union Street as my daily brief case. In it would be a 15" MacBook Pro, 12.5" iPad with case & keyboard attached, various external HDD x 3, Usb memory sticks x 5, pencils pens, cables .... lots of cables (thunderbolt 3  :rolleyes: ).

I do not pack a lunch (eat out) and generally have no need to carry hard copy documents or other reading materials in a physical sense during my daily routine.

With all the above I still have plenty of room to carry a M10 with 3 lenses.

Weekends I have other ONAs, both the Berlin II and Princess Street in Leather, picked up on eBay lightly used at a huge discount off retail. 

The quality and durability in the Union Street impressed me, hence I sought out the other models in leather but in hindsight the smaller bags are a little heavy when walking with either of them 

all day long. Nothing back breaking, but you just notice it being heavier than say a Billingham Hadley (another fine bag)

My preference of the smaller ONAs would be the Berlin II, I prefer the more secure front pocket arrangement.

Plenty of room in them to carry either a 12" MacBook or 10.5"iPad along with a M10 and a good selection of lenses and accessories.

The Fogg bags look fantastic and very smart, perhaps a little "too smart" to attract the wrong attention. By all accounts a super bag with unfortunately a super premium price tag.

No doubt, you'll try many until you find your ideal bag, that's all part of the fun. :D .