quixotic

Lens cap and lens damage

I just purchased an X2 off of ebay (though it hasn't arrived yet).  However, being proactive, and seemingly recalling something about damage resulting from turning on an X (maybe it was an X1) without first removing the cap, I thought I should inquire.

I still have an old panasonic Lx3 that I've put through the wringer, and many, many times I've turned it on without remembering to remove the cap first.  It simply beeps and reminds me that I need to remove the cap.  

Do I need to be extra careful in this regard with X2?  Is there a danger with potential damage to the lens helicoid mechanism?  

Thanks in advance.

Evan

I just purchased an X2 off of ebay (though it hasn't arrived yet).  However, being proactive, and seemingly recalling something about damage resulting from turning on an X (maybe it was an X1) without first removing the cap, I thought I should inquire.

I still have an old panasonic Lx3 that I've put through the wringer, and many, many times I've turned it on without remembering to remove the cap first.  It simply beeps and reminds me that I need to remove the cap.  

Do I need to be extra careful in this regard with X2?  Is there a danger with potential damage to the lens helicoid mechanism?  

Thanks in advance.

Evan

No you don't need to worry. as soon as the camera senses the obstruction it will stop extending the lens and show a warning. No chance of damage.

It might be added that the protection from a sturdy lens cap is very much better than those "self-capping" systems with flimsy, movable parts that open automatically (see e.g. the Ricoh GR, which I also own, and feel I must baby far more than the X series).  So, shoot away and don´t worry!

Thanks everybody.  Sets my mind at ease....though I won't be able to get to sleep tonight because the X2 is supposed to arrive in the mail tomorrow.  

It's a very nice little camera. Excellent image quality, well-built, only drawback slightly sluggish, last-gen AF. Makes for a nice package with the Olympus EVF-2

Thanks everybody.  Sets my mind at ease....though I won't be able to get to sleep tonight because the X2 is supposed to arrive in the mail tomorrow.  

You might consider buying an 'auto opening/closing X2 lens cap' … Google same for available examples .. they have 'petals' which unfold when camera is turned on and lens extends … and they fold back over the retracted lens when camera is switched off. 

dunk