Leca M10 Goes to Cuba - by Thorsten von Overgaard

Overgaard

Very nice photos.

Just one comment on the Fuji being too complicated compared to the Leica (more menus and sub-menus). I have to disagree.

What I like about the Fuji is there are knobs and dials. i only use the aperture selection on the Fuji lenses, the ISO dial, the Shutter speed dial and the exposure compensation dial, just like when I was using a film camera 

Apart from the Film simulation function, I have no idea what is in the menus and sub menus and don't really care. How simple can a camera be to use? Just because it has a thousand and one functions doesn't mean that you have to use them. 

It is just like saying why buy a Ferrari (or any other super sports car) when the speed limit in Australia is 110km? All the extra speed going to waste :)

• Like 1

Thanks Thorsten. Good stuff, and nice pictures.

But do wish you'd use other lens as well, not just a Noctilux.

cheers...

Article includes pics using 50 APO Summicron and 28 Summilux.

Enjoyable essay.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 3

Very nice photos.

Just one comment on the Fuji being too complicated compared to the Leica (more menus and sub-menus). I have to disagree.

What I like about the Fuji is there are knobs and dials. i only use the aperture selection on the Fuji lenses, the ISO dial, the Shutter speed dial and the exposure compensation dial, just like when I was using a film camera 

Apart from the Film simulation function, I have no idea what is in the menus and sub menus and don't really care. How simple can a camera be to use? Just because it has a thousand and one functions doesn't mean that you have to use them. 

It is just like saying why buy a Ferrari (or any other super sports car) when the speed limit in Australia is 110km? All the extra speed going to waste :)

I agree on the possibility to "tame any camera" which I think is almost always possible with any camera. 

I disagree with the underlying philosophy of putting everything into a camera ... particulat at the moment where something goes south and you have to figure out what and where that control sits.

I disabled all buttons and dials I could. Only the Q button I couldn't get rid of. 

• Like 2

I agree on the possibility to "tame any camera" which I think is almost always possible with any camera. 

I disagree with the underlying philosophy of putting everything into a camera ... particulat at the moment where something goes south and you have to figure out what and where that control sits.

I disabled all buttons and dials I could. Only the Q button I couldn't get rid of. 

By the way I love your blog, your very informative articles and lovely photos

A very practical example to share here

With the Fuji I have never had any problems as the aperture, iso, shutter speed and exposure compensation dials are allclearly visible and ready to be used

I just bought a Leica CL (I also have the M10 and M9P) and last night everything was fine, Did a few test shots. ISO went from 1200 to 6400 without any issues.

This morning (without having touched anything) the ISO was stuck at 100 with a low shutter speed. I am still trying to figure out what is causing it, So even with a simpler menu system I am having more problems than the "complicated" Fuji which has the dials and knobs making it a simpler tool to operate.

A clear example menus system versus a fixed Dial system. On the Fuji i will not have this problem as I only use the dials and not the menus. Wish the CL had dials and knobs for the basic functions as stated above

Probably have to check the CL forum to see if there is an answer to my problem

In some pictures I see a color cast like in all pictures with Adobe Standard profile. Because of this I have made me this calibration setting, like I wrote in another thread:

"Here again my calibration values ​​for LR (to be set in the development module under camera calibration):

Primary values ​​Red: Hue +10; Saturation -5
Primary values ​​Green: hue 0; Saturation 0
Primary values ​​Blue: hue 0; Saturation -20

The hue of red could turn a bit higher, if it is only about the skin tone, but it shifts the other colors too much. The hue of green could turn a bit down, if you are used to Agfa green.

• Like 1

Thanks for the posted images and text. The OOF rendering works for me for some of the images, but it would be good to also see some of the images with very wide angle lenses and at smaller apertures. Do you prefer the 50mm lens if you want to focus on photography with a single lens?

I always enjoy your articles, thank you for taking the time to present them.  I love the color pallette in the image of the candy colored pink convertible against the muted tones of the houses and street.

kaethe

• Like 1