Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey Leica! I'll say it here and now. I won't buy a 28mm fixed lens camera as my daily walk around. But if you make me a native 50mm version I will buy it tomorrow. First in line. A black one.

Promise.

Gordon

p.s. Yes I know I can crop. But I won't.

p.p.s I'm surprised Leica haven't announced a 35, 50 and 90mm versions of the Q. Is this not a no brainer?

• Like 2

Hey Leica! I'll say it here and now. I won't buy a 28mm fixed lens camera as my daily walk around. But if you make me a native 50mm version I will buy it tomorrow. First in line. A black one.

Promise.

Gordon

p.p.s I'm surprised Leica haven't announced a 35, 50 and 90mm versions of the Q. Is this not a no brainer?

if you go back through the archives... you will see numerous posts about how it was not practicable to make a Q with other FL and still keep it small and usable...whether that is still true now- i do not know..i assume the rules of physics have not changed-- but perhaps design and engineering have advanced in the past 2 ½  years to allow a small Q with a 35 or 50 FL

Promise.

Gordon

But you cannot go wider than 50mm with a 50mm lens (to state the bleeding obvious!!). Not sure why you rule out cropping. A 50mm crop on a Q will print to A3. For me that is a real benefit in a daily walk around camera.

• Like 2

if you go back through the archives... you will see numerous posts about how it was not practicable to make a Q with other FL and still keep it small and usable...whether that is still true now- i do not know..i assume the rules of physics have not changed-- but perhaps design and engineering have advanced in the past 2 ½  years to allow a small Q with a 35 or 50 FL

I previously read many of those threads, and the references to "it was not practicable to make a Q with other FL and still keep it small and usable"

But when one compares the physical dimensions (from the above wiki link) of

1)  the ASPH-Summilux-M 35FLE, it is smaller than the ASPH-Summilux-M 28mm  (granted that the Q 28mm is f/1.7)

2)  the ASPH-Summilux-M 50, is also smaller than the ASPH-Summilux-M 28mm  (granted that the Q 28mm is f/1.7).

So If Leica can make a Summilux-Q 28mm f/1.7 work,  it should be feasible that they could also make "small and usable" versions of a new Q with either....

Summilux-Q 35mm f/1.7

Summilux-Q 50mm f/1.7

Edited by dugby
  • Like 1

But you cannot go wider than 50mm with a 50mm lens (to state the bleeding obvious!!). Not sure why you rule out cropping. A 50mm crop on a Q will print to A3. For me that is a real benefit in a daily walk around camera.

If I go out with my M for a day with a single lens 95% of the time it's a 50. And it's never a 28. I know what I like.

Gordon

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Physics has nothing to do with it. It's simply can they sell enough to make a profit. Plenty of 50mm 1.8's out there that are small and would be smaller again if made as a non interchangeable version. I don't expect it to be as small as the 28 but it'd still be manageable.

Gordon

• Like 1

Physics has nothing to do with it. It's simply can they sell enough to make a profit. Plenty of 50mm 1.8's out there that are small and would be smaller again if made as a non interchangeable version. I don't expect it to be as small as the 28 but it'd still be manageable.

Gordon

As mentioned above-they are manual focus lenses. They do not have the extra bulk of all that goes into AF.

Keep chasing your unicorn

As mentioned above-they are manual focus lenses. They do not have the extra bulk of all that goes into AF.

Keep chasing your unicorn

No unicorn here, sunshine.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/409200-USA/Pentax_20180_SMCP_FA_43mm_f_1_9_Limited.html?sts=pi

Compact, AF standard, 35mm format lens. There's also a 77mm available. You should realise that Leica are not the only manufacturer of compact lenses.

Gordon

• Like 1

No unicorn here, sunshine.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/409200-USA/Pentax_20180_SMCP_FA_43mm_f_1_9_Limited.html?sts=pi

Compact, AF standard, 35mm format lens. There's also a 77mm available. You should realise that Leica are not the only manufacturer of compact lenses.

Gordon

That's a manual focus lens.

A 50mm F1.8 or F2 AF lens isn't too large though - look at the Canon 50 f1.8 STM for example.

• Like 1

That's a manual focus lens.

A 50mm F1.8 or F2 AF lens isn't too large though - look at the Canon 50 f1.8 STM for example.

I don't think it is. FA is an auto focus designation and Ricoh describe the FA limited lenses as KAF, which is most definitely an auto focus lens. Wikepedia says it has a screw drive AF system.

For Pentax:

A= manual focus

FA= Autofocus. Usually screw mount.

DFA=designed for digital and autofocus (often with electronically driven motors)

https://pentax.com.au/products/20180

It's also listed in the b&h specs as an AF lens.

I did check before I posted.

Gordon

Edited by FlashGordonPhotography
  • Like 1

One of the things that seems to be forgotten, and I'll admit in previous calls for an Q with an M mount I failed to consider this myself, is the reality that the Q is a leaf shutter design.  I wont pretend to understand the impact of this on the lens design other than to ask the question as to whether or not producing a Summilux level lens is made far more difficult as a result.  And if so, at how much extra cost?

I do worry about the future of the Q line as, to my understand the guy who designed it left for Hasselblad a few months back.

Q has sold so well I’d hope they expand the line..

However the X, in its 3 fixed lens iterations never expanded beyond 35mm equivalent.

Might we only see Q iterate to new sensors as the M/SL line gets updated in 2-3+ years, but remain 28mm?

Or they don’t really want to be in the fixed lens business anymore (see: death of X line).

Q50 with a summilux or even summicron on it would be a perfect companion to Q28. I crop the Q heavily, sometimes down to 2 megapixels. The quality is outstanding down to the pixel level. Q50 could come with 50/75/90 crop modes.

Then again, to Leica's benefit, I'm seriously considering an M to accompany Q to cover those FLs Q can't handle. Joke's on them, I can only afford used bodies. ;)

Edited by mike3996

Q50 with a summilux or even summicron on it would be a perfect companion to Q28. I crop the Q heavily, sometimes down to 2 megapixels. The quality is outstanding down to the pixel level. Q50 could come with 50/75/90 crop modes.

Then again, to Leica's benefit, I'm seriously considering an M to accompany Q to cover those FLs Q can't handle. Joke's on them, I can only afford used bodies. ;)

I’ve only ever bought 2nd hand Leica, up to and including my Q. I think a buoyant 2nd hand market does support Leica. ‘It’s okay to pay our giant prices you can get much of the money back again.’ Edited by antigallican

I don't think it is. FA is an auto focus designation and Ricoh describe the FA limited lenses as KAF, which is most definitely an auto focus lens. Wikepedia says it has a screw drive AF system.

For Pentax:

A= manual focus

FA= Autofocus. Usually screw mount.

DFA=designed for digital and autofocus (often with electronically driven motors)

https://pentax.com.au/products/20180

It's also listed in the b&h specs as an AF lens.

I did check before I posted.

Gordon

I think Pentax is the company that makes AF lenses where the motors for the lens are in the camera body and there is a drive shaft to the lens. Hence this AF lens system is much smaller that other AF lenses.