The Leica Forum uses cookies. Read the privacy statement for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    OK, understood.

Photo
- - - - -

M8 Shutters

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jonskiv

jonskiv

Neuer Benutzer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 21:38

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

Anyone know if Leica will still perform the shutter upgrade to the quieter M8.2?  I know they still repair faulty shutters for M8 and M8.2 but not sure if they would update the M8 with the M8.2 shutter. Anyone officially know and what the service cost would be? TIA

I suppose I could trade to the M8.2 but I know the history of my own M8 body and hesitate moving to a body with unknown history 

Edited by jonskiv, 12 January 2018 - 21:39.

#2 earleygallery

earleygallery

Ebeneezer Goode

• Members
  • 16,565 posts
  • LocationLondon
  • City / Ort:Gtr London

Posted 12 January 2018 - 22:35

Just ask Leica directly. I doubt it somehow.

#3 jonskiv

jonskiv

Neuer Benutzer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 22:59

I called Tamarkin who will call on Monday to let me know.  He said he doubted it....can't hurt trying 

• earleygallery said thank you to this

#4 lct

lct

Ex-Newbie

• Members
  • 16,865 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:28

The "update concept" for the M8 is nine years old (2008) and was sold for EUR 1200 then. It included a monitor upgrade which cannot be performed any more due to the lack of spare parts and separate updates were not available for the shutter alone then. Leia said the process was very expensive due to the camera having to be totally dismantled, reassembled, and adjusted for each upgrade. See attachment. You will have no choice but trading your M8 for an M8.2 i suspect but i may be wrong. 

Attached File  LeicaM8_Upgrade_Concept.pdf   58.27KB   29 downloads

#5 Dougg

Dougg

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • City / Ort:Central Washington

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:31

I would think it's no different from a shutter replacement for the M8.2... The three "upgrades" were available independently. I got the shutter and frameline mask upgrades and skipped the sapphire LCD screen.

#6 Ernstk

Ernstk

Benziner Benutzer

• Premium Member
  • 923 posts
  • City / Ort:Edinburgh

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:45

I called Tamarkin who will call on Monday to let me know.  He said he doubted it....can't hurt trying 

What did Tamarkin come back with?

Ernst

0 user(s) are reading this topic