Q Only?

A complete noobie here. just working up the courage to click "buy" for my Q. I enjoy my Fuji x100 and intended to get a Sony a7riii with Zeiss Loxia, but just didn't like the aesthetics and complexity of the camera, and, when I played with a Q in a Leica store, I was completely hooked.

Meanwhile, I'm also using Moment glass (2nd, much improved version) for my iphone, and, while the images don't hold up to much cropping, they are satisfying: fisheye, wide, macro, and telephoto;. A very, very light and easy way to supplement a Q perhaps. OTOH, I'm really worried that the Q will become my gateway drug to the M10!

The Q is a gateway to having fun again with photography.

• Like 11

It's the gestalt of the iPhone combined with the image quality of a Leica.

For me 28mm is not a desired focal length, but the pervasiveness of iPhone photos is making people extremely receptive to its perspective.

What strikes us as aesthetically desirable is the result of what good photos we're exposed to on a regular basis. Thanks to the iPhone 28mm photos are everywhere these days.

If they provide some annoying bug fixes and a few improvements with the new upcoming firmware this camera could become almost perfect.

Is there upcoming firmware?

(ps love your portfolio)

Edited by antigallican

I see too many potential photographs in the world that require different focal lengths, given any particular place I might be standing, so 28-only is impossible for me.  Certainly the Q is in now (as of this week) permanently in my bag, but with it will remain a Pentax K-3 with the excellent Pentax 20-40 Limited lens and the equally good Pentax 70mm Ltd.  The weight of two camera bodies be damned.  Of course, I do intend to work 28mm harder than ever given the Q's nice Summilux and macro (2 lenses in one), but I can't leave other focal lengths out of my experience.

• Like 2

It’s the gateway to the SL.

Q first... get hooked on the EVF, then check out the SL.

I have no desire to get an M10.

My sentiments exactly, but I would add that once you have an SL, lens GAS is almost guaranteed. I have spent a sizable amount on M and R lenses for the SL (all purchased used) and have no regrets at all.

• Like 1

I have an m240 and a D lux 109. I bought the Q and love it. Don't forget if you are mind stuck on shooting 35mm you can crop the sensor and still get a 16mp capture and have the look that you can see what is about to come into the frame lines as w/ the rangefinder. The Q is a fantastic camera. Sometimes I take the Q and the 109 for some zoom and have it all !  Other times I just take the M for a totally different experience. It's all fun. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy from California. Leica noob here.

I just got my Q a couple of days ago, and am so extremely impressed with it.

Should have bought it years ago.  

Call me pragmatic, but just like all tools, you need the right one to get the job done. 

The Q will always be in the arsenal along with my 5D, ready for the right moment to shine.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Right there with you - love the Q and I do wish I'd bought it much sooner for pure enjoyment.  But I'd not soon part with the 5D; that with some good glass is a workhorse that can get nearly anything done.  I can imagine letting go of some Canon lenses that may never see the light of day again since getting the Q.

Howdy from California. Leica noob here.

I just got my Q a couple of days ago, and am so extremely impressed with it.

Should have bought it years ago.  

Call me pragmatic, but just like all tools, you need the right one to get the job done. 

The Q will always be in the arsenal along with my 5D, ready for the right moment to shine.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The more I use the Q, the more I find my Nikon 50mm and 80-200 zoom just boring. Of course, at some point, I'll want to change that perspective--it's probably not a lifetime thing--but for now I'm always looking for shots in the wider angles.

Just bought the Q....getting used to the 28mm, and loving it. Won't be giving up the Canon 5D Mark IV just yet.

I haven't given up on the Canon system but it is the Q always with me, Canon EOS only when different lenses needed.  

But I will not buy a new EOS body until their FF Mirrorless comes out.  

My compact EOS is a 6D with 40mm 2.8 pancake or 50mm 1.8 stm.  I love my "L" glass BUT the Q has ruined me with its EVF showing me exactly what the image will be -- after exposure adjustments etc.  It the next Canon does not use the EF mount, I'll try the Leica SL again.

I've had the q for nine months and I'm still finding new and interesting ways to make it work for me.   It goes with me everywhere and I love it.   I still have three other cameras:  A fuji xt-1 that I now only use with the 14mm lens (21mm equivalent) for residential interiors.    A sony RX-100 IV that is great for a jacket pocket.  And a Canon 70-D that I use with a Sigma 85 for outdoor portraits.     I am about ready to sell all of the other fuji & canon lenses.    I can't quite bring myself to shell out $20k+ for the M-10 and the lenses I'd need for full replacement.