Leica S lens on Fuji GFX 50s

TMKM

Reading their specs, it will not focus to infinity and 'This is a manual adapter, so lens functions that rely on electronic communication with the camera body (autofocus, AE metering, image stabilization, etc.) will be disrupted.' so a S lens (via and S-SL adapter) will do nothing....

john

The Flange difference is not big enough, and Leica S lens electronic signal code is proprietary and closed, so you cannot officially try to crack it unless you want to face some lawsuit... (at least that what the Chinese adaptor maker I know told me)

Beside, Leica really don't want to messing about with their lens. The best lens for Fujifilm GFX is GF lens as they are designed specifically for that sensor, just as LEica's S lens is designed specifically for Leica S body. You get the best sync that way.

Reading their specs, it will not focus to infinity and 'This is a manual adapter, so lens functions that rely on electronic communication with the camera body (autofocus, AE metering, image stabilization, etc.) will be disrupted.' so a S lens (via and S-SL adapter) will do nothing....

john

Strange, looking at that photo, they make it quite thick... if they make it thinner, won't it be able to focus to infinity?? Strange...

john

It just like using M or R lens on a Sony A7 series

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Flange difference is not big enough, and Leica S lens electronic signal code is proprietary and closed, so you cannot officially try to crack it unless you want to face some lawsuit... (at least that what the Chinese adaptor maker I know told me)

Beside, Leica really don't want to messing about with their lens. The best lens for Fujifilm GFX is GF lens as they are designed specifically for that sensor, just as LEica's S lens is designed specifically for Leica S body. You get the best sync that way.

the flange focal distance for Leica S-mount is 53 mm, according to David Farkas

the GFX50S ffd is 26.7mm 

Do you have any S lenses?  They are fully electronic unlike M and R lenses....

john

Fair enough. But that does not explain (to me) why - despite the flange difference being large enough - the adapter does not allow for infinity focus.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I also suggest them to produce a converter with build in apperture just like the one they made for ROLLEI PQS LENS

Have you used the Rollei 6000 to Fuji GFX adapter?  Does it work well?

Some adapters have an iris between the lens and the sensor. This accomplishes nothing other than adding a circular vignette to the image. I returned one in disgust.

To use an S lens on a non-S camera, other than wide open, you NEED an electronic (and probably expensive) adapter.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it is more than a little annoying, but you CAN actually stop down a Leica lens on an S body, remove it, and it will stay at the aperture you selected. So while a dummy adapter would mean no control of aperture, it need not necessarily be stuck wide open. I had wanted to find an adapter that would let me use the S lenses on the Sony cameras for 4k video, and there I would not have been that bothered by a fixed aperture.  I would just set it to 5.6 or whatever made sense, and then transfer it to the Sony for the video. In general, it would be nice to have a fully functional adapter for the GFX, but it is probably best to stick with GFX lenses for the GFX.

• 4 weeks later...

Actually you can adapt even Leica M glas to Fujifilm G. The flange distance difference is of course plenty compared to Leica S, since the GFX is an EVF based mirrorless camera system while the Leica S is a SLR.

The protocol for the lens might be proprietary, but if hacking the protocol of lenses would be illegal, then Tamron, Tokina and others are in very deep trouble due to their many Nikon and Canon lenses. They never negotiated any kind of deal with neithe Canon nor Nikon. Because if the internet is correct on this, only Zeiss and Voigtländer have an official license to these protocols, and only under the limitation that they exclusively produce manual focus lenses only for these lens mounts.

The question is more how expensive such an adapter will end up, since there wont be many who buy one. With meager returns the whole hacking process might just not be worthwhile.

Except you have no way to control your aperture ;)

But focus works ? Thats the even more crucial one.

Well, it is more than a little annoying, but you CAN actually stop down a Leica lens on an S body, remove it, and it will stay at the aperture you selected. So while a dummy adapter would mean no control of aperture, it need not necessarily be stuck wide open. I had wanted to find an adapter that would let me use the S lenses on the Sony cameras for 4k video, and there I would not have been that bothered by a fixed aperture.  I would just set it to 5.6 or whatever made sense, and then transfer it to the Sony for the video. In general, it would be nice to have a fully functional adapter for the GFX, but it is probably best to stick with GFX lenses for the GFX.

So ... one would need a Leica S camera as well, just to set the aperture.

Again, I see no serious problem with adapting lenses to GFX. There are sadly limitations thanks to having a quite thick sensor glas, which will be a problem with glas thats both wide angle and of short flange distance, for example Leica M. So if you have one of these legendary Leica [in this case actually Schneider Optics] Super Angulon 21mm f/3.4, (in)famous for being so close to the sensor area that metering no longer works (except with the Leica M5 and even that only with some of these lenses), well that one sadly might not work too well.

• Like 1

Actually you can adapt even Leica M glas to Fujifilm G. The flange distance difference is of course plenty compared to Leica S, since the GFX is an EVF based mirrorless camera system while the Leica S is a SLR.

The protocol for the lens might be proprietary, but if hacking the protocol of lenses would be illegal, then Tamron, Tokina and others are in very deep trouble due to their many Nikon and Canon lenses. They never negotiated any kind of deal with neithe Canon nor Nikon. Because if the internet is correct on this, only Zeiss and Voigtländer have an official license to these protocols, and only under the limitation that they exclusively produce manual focus lenses only for these lens mounts.

The question is more how expensive such an adapter will end up, since there wont be many who buy one. With meager returns the whole hacking process might just not be worthwhile.

But focus works ? Thats the even more crucial one.

So ... one would need a Leica S camera as well, just to set the aperture.

Again, I see no serious problem with adapting lenses to GFX. There are sadly limitations thanks to having a quite thick sensor glas, which will be a problem with glas thats both wide angle and of short flange distance, for example Leica M. So if you have one of these legendary Leica [in this case actually Schneider Optics] Super Angulon 21mm f/3.4, (in)famous for being so close to the sensor area that metering no longer works (except with the Leica M5 and even that only with some of these lenses), well that one sadly might not work too well.

I think if there's no aperture control it's pointless.

• 5 years later...
On 3/24/2018 at 2:26 AM, TMKM said:

According to Fotodox. They have made a mistake in calculation. I also suggest them to produce a converter with build in apperture just like the one they made for ROLLEI PQS LENS

I recently tried the Fotodiox adapter with GFX 100s. They make the tube slightly too long, acting like a mini macro ring. You cannot focus on slightly distanced objects to infinity. Very unusable for S 24. 

I hope someone can make a dumb adapter with the correct flange distance. GFX 100II does give us hints for what we want on the S4.

Edited by steve.chang

6 hours ago, steve.chang said:

I recently tried the Fotodiox adapter with GFX 100s. 

I tried the 30-90mm on my GFX100S (with the aperture pre-selected to f11). I mainly used it at 90mm as I don't have that focal length in Fuji lenses. The results were nice and sharp.