Pixel remap cost?

Gavbo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone had their M8 pixel remapped? I am having stuck/ vertical lines issue? Contacted Leica and confirmed it can be fixed with a remap when I asked about the price they said "The costs are dependent on the time needed. You will get a cost estimate." I was under the impression remap was just running it on a computer??  

Edited by Gavbo

I paid $450 at Leica NJ several years back.

Mine came back with a new leatherette covering. I think ssnsor needed to be pulled from camera. Calibration issue with visoflex was corrected after sensor remap

Edited by lm_user
  • Like 1

Hi Erfahrener, 

Thanks for the information, may I ask if you were the original owner?

I paid $450 at Leica NJ several years back.

Mine came back with a new leatherette covering. I think ssnsor needed to be pulled from camera. Calibration issue with visoflex was corrected after sensor remap

I was not the original owner.

FYI. If the leatherette needs to be replaced you can request something other than the sharkskin. I had The faux vulcanite apllied. I found it much better to hold and more attractive. Something to consider if you have to pay for it anyway

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Got my repair quote today, the good news is that the parts including sensor is free. The bad news is that they would like 4hrs labour at 149 EUR per hour plus TAX - total bill 709.24 EUR to fix.

Thank you for sending the above mentioned camera. During our test we have noticed a discoloration of the LCD screen. This can´t be repaired anymore due to missing spare parts. We also noticed that there are not only vertical lines visible, but also a dual output fault. This requires the exchange of the sensor incl. the attached printed circuit. Here we only charge the labour costs, the sensor as spare part will be free of charge. 

Work include 

Incoming inspection
Correct pixel / column error image
Replace sensor
Adjust sensor position
Perform software adjustment
Adjust the E-blade
Clean the E-knife
total vote
Final cleaning / control
The structure of the new leather lining deviates slightly from the
previous one, which unfortunately is no longer available.
With the commissioning of the repair you also give us
Your agreement to use the new version of the leather lining.
  • Like 1

What is a dual output fault?

The circuit reads the sensor output as two halves, or if you prefer the sensor is split and left and right read out simultaneously but separately. This increases the rate at which the data can be read and makes fabrication easier. If the calibration between the two halves is wrong you can see the line down the middle if it is not correctable, as here, then it is outside the calibration limits it will need to be a swop out.

You will get an equivalent "new" camera back with a repair warranty, your alternative to spending is to recycle, to me that is a clear choice and I would accept. My M8 is in for several faults and my estimate is £1,266.38 needing two boards replacing and sundry alignements, I expect another 10 years of service having already had 10 years out of the camera. I consider a digital repair at this age to be exceptional service, Nikon would not touch my D2H which is a very heavy paperweight now and that was 4/5 years ago.

• Like 4

Great insight thanks Chris, I never noticed anything different in my images before other than the pixel problem, however I had a m9p with that very same problem that was fixed when it had the corroded CCD replaced. 

Good call getting yours fixed despite the steep price, the m8 is 10 years old and bound to have issues, out of tune etc ... is a great feeling knowing the one you have is as good as new functionally with warranty.

I do wonder at which point would Leica turn around and said is beyond economical repair, fantastic Leica is still supporting the m8 with only the screen remains unrepairable and giving spare parts for free.

PS. what's a sundry alignements?

The circuit reads the sensor output as two halves, or if you prefer the sensor is split and left and right read out simultaneously but separately. This increases the rate at which the data can be read and makes fabrication easier. If the calibration between the two halves is wrong you can see the line down the middle if it is not correctable, as here, then it is outside the calibration limits it will need to be a swop out.

You will get an equivalent "new" camera back with a repair warranty, your alternative to spending is to recycle, to me that is a clear choice and I would accept. My M8 is in for several faults and my estimate is £1,266.38 needing two boards replacing and sundry alignements, I expect another 10 years of service having already had 10 years out of the camera. I consider a digital repair at this age to be exceptional service, Nikon would not touch my D2H which is a very heavy paperweight now and that was 4/5 years ago.

• Like 2