Tethering the SL

xxxceli

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was considering getting a second hand SL.

However the TAN number has already been used, so Image shuttle (for Mac) and the plug in will not me available for download.

Is there a stable workflow for shooting tethered that bypasses the use of those softwares, ideally to use with Lightroom?

Thank you so much for your insight,

Kind regards,

Celia.

Get in touch with the previous owner and ask him to delete the SL from his account. If this is impossible (e.g. you don't know the name) then contact Leica support and they will help you. 

But the first step should be to try to register the SL yourself. 

Edited by Ingo
  • Like 2

Get in touch with the previous owner and ask him to delete the SL from his account. If this is impossible (e.g. you don't know the name) then contact Leica support and they will help you. 

Ingo stated it correctly. I wasn't able to delete from my profile and Customer Support helped me.

• Like 1

and email them proof of purchase of some sort, with a pic of the camera

• Like 1

The problem with tethering the SL is Lightroom. It's tethering capability with the Leica SL plugin does at least mean a direct connection is possible, as with Canon and Nikon, and avoids the convoluted route that Sony users must take. However it is very slow and, according to some, unreliable although that has not been my experience. The Capture One tethering experience is vastly better but is not available to Leica users. The cynic in me wonders if the relative availability of these two tethering platforms is related to the commercial links that Sony and Leica have with C1 and LR respectively. If so it's a pity because I should love to be able to use my SL tethered in the studio but the LR route is simply too unwieldy.

Edited by Waterden
  • Like 1

If you have an iPad you can control the camera and look at the results through the app. Not exactly the same as tethering but good enough, for example for me to see how well focussed the camera is and what reflections I'm getting while recording and reproducing paintings.

• Like 1

The problem with tethering the SL is Lightroom. It's tethering capability with the Leica SL plugin does at least mean a direct connection is possible, as with Canon and Nikon, and avoids the convoluted route that Sony users must take. However it is very slow and, according to some, unreliable although that has not been my experience. The Capture One tethering experience is vastly better but is not available to Leica users. The cynic in me wonders if the relative availability of these two tethering platforms is related to the commercial links that Sony and Leica have with C1 and LR respectively. If so it's a pity because I should love to be able to use my SL tethered in the studio but the LR route is simply too unwieldy.

Although you would think that since you get lightroom with the Sl (and Tl and M9 from experience, so probably all the Leica cameras) it would be more of a “plug and play” as opposed to having to use an extra step. Slower and potentially less reliable. Hopefully sorted with a future update?

If you have an iPad you can control the camera and look at the results through the app. Not exactly the same as tethering but good enough, for example for me to see how well focussed the camera is and what reflections I'm getting while recording and reproducing paintings.

It is a great option if the shoot is not time sensitive, yes!

• Like 1

The Capture One tethering experience is vastly better but is not available to Leica users. 

I use Leica Image Shuttle to connect the SL and save files to my laptop in the 'Capture'-folder in a Capture One Session. Then I can directly see and edit them in C1. 

• Like 1

I use Leica Image Shuttle to connect the SL and save files to my laptop in the 'Capture'-folder in a Capture One Session. Then I can directly see and edit them in C1. 

....and I do the same with Leica Image Shuttle and LRCC Classic. Pretty seamless.  I've avoided the plugin.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for the advice!

I am still waiting on finding a nice SL. When I do i am good to go thanks to all of your kind help!

• 8 months later...

Hello,

I use Lightroom CC classic 7.5, a Macbook Pro 13" & High Sierra 10.13.6 and my camera is a Leica SL from 02-2017.

I already pluged in the LEICA my internet codes to get the Wifi.

Now, I try to tether the LEICA SL with Lightroom via the Leica USB3 cable from the box.

Although all the picture already taken with the Leica do appear in Lightroom (as if the cards inside the Leica were an external disc), I cannot use the tetherred device. The Leica SL is "not detected" by Lightroom in the dedicated bar.

This is probably a simple configuration error, but I already spent 2 hours to try to solve it and I did not find the solution. Can someone help me?

Many hanks in advance for your help.

Hello.

After some reflection and a little research, I found a solution.
By going to the Leica official site I found a plug-in for Lightroom (labeled as a "brochure", but being THE plug-in for Mac...) that allows Lightroom to finally recognize the... LEICA SL! And everything works perfectly under Lightroom.

http://fr.leica-camera.com/Service-Support/Assistance/Downloads?category=128327&subcategory=&type=&language=all

I just have to make the settings on my camera but I can trigger from my Macbook Pro directly. and, most importantly, the last image taken is automatically displayed on the screen fairly quickly. It is not displayed "Live view" on the Mac, but this is OK for me.

This is mostly what I wanted to allow my clients to see the result during the shooting.

I hope it will help those who are looking for such an option.

Edited by PARIS-14