Anyone using Huawei P10?

Volbeat

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

My aging Xperia Z3 Compact is falling apart and its about time I updated anyway.

Leica's involvement with Huawei has put them on my radar and I've read the reviews which all focus on the phone's photographic capabilities. They brush over the implementation of Android though - except that the Huawei version is unique.

Anyone using a P10 and is it a good phone?

Cheers,

I switched to the P10 from a Sony Z1 Compact last summer. As a phone it is just another high end android phone. It does the job, and everything I find better about it turns out to be simply because of android improvements in the intervening years. I'm probably not the most demanding user!

I use fingerprint recognition, which works well. There's nothing that really irritates me about it so much that I regret buying it. I use it with a cheap screen protector. Power usage is excellent - for my use, I get well over a day typically. I don't use it a lot as a phone, but quite a bit as a networked device, and occasionally as a mobile hotspot.

One irritation that may be hardware or software related is this. As a BT home broadband customer, I use the BT app to connect automatically to BT wifi hotspots while out and about. Although I have ticked the option that says (in effect) 'use wifi when available, and switch to mobile data (i.e. cellphone data) when wifi not available', it still does not automatically go to mobile data for some apps when it can't find a local wifi hotspot. Email always seems to be available, but if I want Google Maps I have to manually switch off the wifi function before it will download maps via mobile date. I now have an app on the home page that toggles wifi  by a single tap. I have no idea if this is Huawei, Android or some other system causing the problem.

The camera is excellent. If Leica designed the user interface, they did an great job: quick to select simple shooting modes, and easy to make more complex exposure adjustments. I really like the 20mp monochrome setting, and I am happy to use the phone for casual good quality shots while out and about.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

It's experiences like these, with Android phones, that make me happy to be an Apple user.

I just don't understand how every Android phone company can have a unique operating system to the extent that some of the apps available for Android don't work on some vendor's phones. I just doesn't make any sense.

That said, the shots I have seen taken with the Huawei phones can be really good, in the right hands.

• Like 1

Well, I don't want to make a meal of the issue I mention, nor attribute it to android with certainty. For all I know it is BT that causes the problem. 

The bottom line is that the phone works as easily as friends' iphones - it was only when asked the question in the thread that I had to think of something to say.

Apple is like the Catholic church - rules are global and mandatory, but services are same wherever you go, giving you that warm feeling of familiarity. Android and Windows are Protestants: you can think for yourself, pick and choose which rules you want to obey, decide which device/church offers you something for your needs, but none of them ever talk to each other.

^_^

• Like 1

Thank you very much Paul for letting me know about your experience.

Jaap & Andy, I'm an ex-Apple fan. They used to be years ahead of their competition both in computers and phones but not so any more. I'm writing this at my (desktop) Mac so I do use Apple for some things. To me the only clever thing iPhones do is use wifi for messaging rather than mobile data when its available. I think all phones should have the option to use the fastest route or the cheapest route for email, SMS/ text and browsing/ streaming and Apple are slightly better at that.

iCloud messes with my head. I never know what is being saved there; if I delete from this device will it only be removed from here or will it disappear from everything? If I sync what will it decide to delete for me in the process?

Android is MUCH more logical and gives me more control. The problem is that Google makes a really good OS then Sony, Samsung, Huawei et al screw it up with their own UI. Just like buying a PC with proprietary bloatware.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's experiences like these, with Android phones, that make me happy to be an Apple user.

I just don't understand how every Android phone company can have a unique operating system to the extent that some of the apps available for Android don't work on some vendor's phones. I just doesn't make any sense.

That said, the shots I have seen taken with the Huawei phones can be really good, in the right hands.

Same here also. The iphone was the first smartphone I had which actually did what the advertising said it could. I had big problems returning the last phone before I switched because numerous features I was sold in store simply didn't work when I activated the contract.

I have just replaced my Apple laptop with a Windows model though. I don't like the way Apple are going with their computers and at 1/10th of the price of the nearest equivalent Macbook I thought it was worth giving it a go. I can even plug in USB devices and - get this - it takes CD's/DVD's too! Amazing. I also have a Mini Mac but it's not seen much use at all.

Itunes really irritates me - it never seems to work as simply as it should. I generally avoid it and listen to music on the phone via spotify.

I'll stick with iphones though - for now - until I'm convinced that the alternatives are at least as good.

I'll stick with iphones though - for now - until I'm convinced that the alternatives are at least as good.

They aren't at least as good. They are massively superior. How long did it take Apple to get NFC? Or 4G? Or mobile hotspot ability? Or face recognition? Or a fingerprint sensor? Or an OLED screen? All these features debuted in Android handsets first. 

I'm seeing a pattern in recent posts on the Apple vs Windows/Android debate here and on other forums. It's along the lines of:

"Apple, Macs and iPhones are far better than Windows/Android. I would never leave Apple. The only problem is that the latest [Mac/iPad/iPhone - take your random pick] is rubbish and won't do XXXX.........but I'll never leave Apple".

:lol: