Best second Leica lens?

vaotix

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought a M240 a few months ago along with a Summarit-M 50mm lens. I love the combination so far but I find having only one focal length is pretty limiting right now. I just got some unexpected extra money and want to buy a second lens for my kit. I plan on sticking with the Summarit line because the price is right and the max f/2.4 aperture doesn't bug me. So far I'm trying to choose between the 35mm and the 75mm (though, I heard the 90mm is also really great). I'm having a tough time deciding which direction to go. I mostly use the Leica for portraiture and street shooting. Though, I can see it as a travel camera in the future, too.

What would your choice be for someone starting with Leica? I'm not a beginner photographer by any means, but this is my first Leica. Any tips or suggestions would be most welcome.

Since you're not new to photography, treat the Leica as you would any other camera.  Just determine which focal length is most appropriate for what you want to achieve and grab a lens of that focal length. Or, become overwhelmed with GAS and start accumulating lenses. Remember that not only Leica lenses will work on your camera, but also Voigtlander has a pretty good selection, and then there are a myriad of older screw mount lenses (Leica, Canon, Nikon, among others) which work fine with inexpensive LTM->M adapters. :)

• Like 1

For sure. I looked at third party lenses for a bit, but part of the reason I bought Leica was to shoot with Leica glass. It's part of the appeal. I still have a Canon 80D that I shoot with for most of my more serious portraiture and wildlife stuff. The Leica is a great companion to bring on a shoot or to do street photography with.

I'm not gonna go crazy with buying a ton of lenses for it, but I would like more than one to open up more options while shooting with it. The reason I'm asking for advice is because the Leica is a different shooting experience, I use it somewhat differently than I do my DSLR, and I'm mostly curious what other people like in their kits.

• Like 1

I am shooting 50mm/28mm for weddings, street, travel and currently want for nothing but maybe some other 50s :) wanting for nothing won't last long

the 28 is a supplement to the 50 for which I will focus my near future efforts 

Edited by dancook
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

To begin with your title:

I fear that BEST second lens may NOT exist.

...like third or fourth best ...

Summarit-M line is the best buy opportunity, second hand or new.

To compliment my only Summarit-M 50mm, I would go a bit larger than 35mm as second lens, Elmarit-M 2.8/28mm asph. is my best choice.

But when using the two little/light 50/28 lenses, I would look as small all-round later Summarit-M 35mm.

35/50 is very common kit. 50 is for portraits, 35 is for anything. This is what I have Leica made and I'm trying different 28mm lenses (can't afford 28 2.8 Elmarit asph).

75 is very limiting to portraits only lens, IMO.

To me 50/75 is something like: 50 is for everything, but limiting (if you like it close and tight or taking from the distance) and 75 is strictly for portraits.  

The 50/75 difference is very small. It is visible in frame lines. 50/75 are coming out together and they are very close. 

35mm is different and open world, to me it is where rangefinder photography starts. It is about getting close to people and action, because it is not SLR with tunnel vision and often one eye only handling.

28 is also great and works for portraits, because it is not SLR lens.

Summarits 35 are only ASPH lenses in this line. They are balanced and rich on rendering, not flat or too clinical. Mine 2.5 has some distortions.

Edited by Ko.Fe.
  • Like 1

Thanks to everyone who commented. You've all been helpful. 

I decided to pull the trigger on a 35mm Summarit f/2.4. It seems to have gotten great reviews and I found it used for $1100 or so. I looked at some Summacrons and didn't find any in good condition that was cheap enough to be worth it. The Summarit seems almost as good for much less and I'm already happy with my 50mm Summarit.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone who commented. You've all been helpful. 

I decided to pull the trigger on a 35mm Summarit f/2.4. It seems to have gotten great reviews and I found it used for $1100 or so. I looked at some Summacrons and didn't find any in good condition that was cheap enough to be worth it. The Summarit seems almost as good for much less and I'm already happy with my 50mm Summarit.

Summicrons or Summarons? The 35/2.8 Summaron is an excellent lens, still available at a reasonable price.

Ernst

Summicrons or Summarons? The 35/2.8 Summaron is an excellent lens, still available at a reasonable price.

Ernst

Statement how 35mm Summarons are available at reasonable price sounds like a cliche to me, happy to be convinced otherwise.  What is reasonable price for a working copy of Summaron 35mm in 2018?  Casual google search today finds f2.8 versions on ebay for no less than £750, f3.5 are much cheaper.  In the last 12 months I only managed to find goggled version on sale with reputable Leica UK dealers.

Edited by mmradman

Statement how 35mm Summarons are available at reasonable price sounds like a cliche to me, happy to be convinced otherwise.  What is reasonable price for a working copy of Summaron 35mm in 2018?  Casual google search today finds f2.8 versions on ebay for no less than £750, f3.5 are much cheaper.  In the last 12 months I only managed to find goggled version on sale with reputable Leica UK dealers.

I was monitoring Summaron 35 prices in 2017. USA and Germany. Also purchased and sold one 3.5 (my second 3.5). If once in the blue moon case is not counted, the going price is 350$ for goggled f3.5 and I only seen goggled f2.8 for 650$ once in 2017. Non-goggled 35 2.8 is 1K$ lens for sometime now. It is less expensive than used 35 2.4 Summarit, but close in price with used Summarit 35 2.5.

• Like 1

Start with a 35 mm lens as addition and move to a 90/2.8 next.

My recommendation regarding price: Voigtlander (Cosina) also makes great M-mount lenses - they have a different signature than Leica ones, but I love using them, too. You will find really good ones brand new for less than $600. I have no experience with the CV 35/1.4, but really enjoy my CV 28/2 lens - great price/quality ratio! Regarding 90 mm M lenses, go for an older lens version. I bought a used Leica 90/2.8 version I for a few hundred bucks, and it an excellent lens even on a modern digital camera! IMO no need to go for a super expensive brand new 90 mm lens. 

Edited by Martin B
  • Like 2

I was monitoring Summaron 35 prices in 2017. USA and Germany. Also purchased and sold one 3.5 (my second 3.5). If once in the blue moon case is not counted, the going price is 350$ for goggled f3.5 and I only seen goggled f2.8 for 650$ once in 2017. Non-goggled 35 2.8 is 1K$ lens for sometime now. It is less expensive than used 35 2.4 Summarit, but close in price with used Summarit 35 2.5.

If it wasn't  for odd 43 mm filter thread i would consider Zeiss C Biogon 2.8/35mm.  For anyone not bothered with filter size lens is a steal, brand new less is less than £650 in UK. OK, you pay good money, some £70, for Zeiss bayonet lens hood, there are also cheap screw-in alternatives on ebay.

Before anyone ask, i use B&W filters all the time and have them in 39, 46, 49 and 52 and 55 mm sizes, also 60, 67 and 77 mm. 

When you look at your frame lines in your M camera then you can make out a bit what 28 or 35 would be compared to your 50mm. As 28 is to far from 35 you might better choose 28 and maybe crop your results in PP if nedded. That is how I decided for my 2 lenses 28 and 50mm. Besides those 2 I have then the 75mm that I rarely use.

28 or 90.... They open up a whole new world...

Albert  :)  :)  :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

If it wasn't  for odd 43 mm filter thread i would consider Zeiss C Biogon 2.8/35mm.  For anyone not bothered with filter size lens is a steal, brand new less is less than £650 in UK. OK, you pay good money, some £70, for Zeiss bayonet lens hood, there are also cheap screw-in alternatives on ebay.

Before anyone ask, i use B&W filters all the time and have them in 39, 46, 49 and 52 and 55 mm sizes, also 60, 67 and 77 mm. 

I've got the 35C and permanently affixed a 43mm filter to it. Don't get why people might be so bothered by the filter size.

Hood is indeed a bit pricey.