Learner

OK, CL owners... What's your verdict?

Guest VVJ

1) Yes and No.

2) Yes and No.

3) Still own the TL2 ( and original T).

1. Yes

2. No (except the faint sense that with the SL and CL the M10 is going to see very little use) 

3. No 

Yes!

No.

Not sure if I'm going to sell my brand new T2 or not.

Definitely keeping SL, however as it is spectacular with M lenses, including my Nocti and 75mm Summilux (which was very hard to use on my now sold M240).

I've been shooting the CL extensively since picking one up about one month ago. 

No issue with physical controls or menu system. Love the simplicity of the latter.

Would have liked an external microphone jack--but that's quibbling since I didn't buy this for video. IBIS would have been great but have had no image shake/blur even when using the 55-135 indoors for critical theatrical work. 

For the extensive event shooting I do, better flash support beyond the SF40 and SF64 would also be terrific. Godox compatibility would be great as would support for a Profoto trigger. But, again, these are minor issues, since the camera is designed to be a go-everywhere companion, not a heavy duty pro unit.

I've been a T user for some time so have all the lenses except the new 18mm pancake. I can't think of how they could make them smaller and their current size doesn't bother me at all. Most of the (particularly Olympus) pro-versions of micro four thirds lenses feel larger and heavier than the equivalent TL lenses (but, then again, those Olympus are f1.4 lenses. But my point is that if I'm not bothered by size/weight of the Olympus lenses, I certainly can't complain about the TL lenses.)

What has most impressed me has been the quality and fidelity of the CL's color (raw--I don't shoot jpeg much)  up through ISO 3200 (and not bad at 6400).  I recently shot a darkened theater play (which for I usually use a Sony A7R2 or Canon full frame). I was amazed at how little color correction I've needed to do--or noise reduction. Edited a batch of 350 images in less than half the time I normally allocate.  For event shooting I've been using the TL 55-135 (80-200mm equivalent) --very light (ridiculously so compared to Canon or Sony's equivalent) as well as the TL 18-56. Both are terrific zooms. For personal shooting the TL 35mm and TL 60mm are absolutely wonderful lenses.

Did a bit of landscape shooting last weekend and was equally impressed at the natural color rendition, particularly greens. The files were gorgeous.

I am very, very impressed and have no major complaints.

Edited by Ron Weissman

FWIW, I have been using the CL with either the 18-56 or 55-135 for several weeks and during that time haven't used any other cameras (I have a 246 and an SL).  Today, to macro-photograph an unusual blossom, I brought out the SL with 60mm Macro-Elmarit-R.  The difference in weight and size was shocking.  That said, the SL with that lens took a fine photo!

I've done a day or two of garden-wandering with the TL 60 macro lens on the CL.  My comparison is to using the SL with an S 120 macro.  That combo weighs perhaps 3x as much as the CL and its rather light weight (but sizeable) APS-C macro lens, but the results are close in quality.  And both are exceptionally good both in ease of use close up and in handling the OOF parts of an image.  I'll keep using both to see if I can nail down some of the differences. 

After an extended CL rental, my verdict is no, not upgrading. I didn't upgrade from the T to the TL, or the TL2, and I still won't be upgrading to the CL.

It's great having the CL viewfinder integrated, and the body size/style is much better than the TL line, in my opinion, but that's about it in terms of the attraction for me, and it's not enough to justify the price.

If they give it manual exposure control for video in a firmware update, making it the only genuine hybrid device with an L-mount short of the SL, I will seriously consider it.

For what it’s worth, I just sold my m10, reducing my existing kit to and SL and a CL. The CL gets me 85% of the image of the m, but it considerably easier to use from a focusing perspective. The CL is what I throw in my everyday bag, with the 23mm f/2 mounted, but I love having the ability to switch to an m-lens.

Edited by LeicaGuy2014

For what it’s worth, I just sold my m10, reducing my existing kit to and SL and a CL. The CL gets me 85% of the image of the m, but it considerably easier to use from a focusing perspective. The CL is what I throw in my everyday bag, with the 23mm f/2 mounted, but I love having the ability to switch to an m-lens.

Are you happy with the CL’s manual focus implementation, compared to the M10?

It is inevitable, but a bit clumsy, that the viewfinder magnification of the CL must be activated by turning the right wheel (on non-TL lenses). At least it is better than having to push a nearly inaccessible button + turn the thumbwheel like the M240 in EVF mode with non-M lenses.

Does it meet my expectations?  Yes, I think it does.  The CL is a very nicely made camera that handles well.  Based on the shots I have taken so far, the image quality with the 18-56mm lens is excellent.  For a bit of fun, I tried taking a shot at ISO 50000 and was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the image.  Yes it was noisy, but usable.

I like the L-M adaptor too - being able to use my M lenses is a real boon.

Whilst I am very attached to my M240 and M246, I can see them getting less use now that I have the CL.

My initial feelings are that Leica have a winner in the CL.

Compared to M cameras, the CL is slower to focus M lenses due to its lack of rangefinder and auto image magnification. The right wheel is more handy than a button to trigger manual magnification though. 

Compared to M cameras, the CL is slower to focus M lenses due to its lack of rangefinder and auto image magnification. The right wheel is more handy than a button to trigger manual magnification though.

Somehow I don't get the complain about M's image magnification button. I like it since I can press it without changing right hand grip. It seems you need to move your thumb on CL. Not a deal breaker but I need to handle it to see how it is.

The problem is the position of that button. It needs the addition of a rubber bump to be findable. And you have to move your thumb as well to adjust the amount of magnification.

Just a flick of the thumb is more ergonomic.

The problem is the position of that button. It needs the addition of a rubber bump to be findable. And you have to move your thumb as well to adjust the amount of magnification.

I find that I can use my shutter button finger to move the right hand button from in front, while using my thumb on the left hand button.

Yes, so can I, but just a flick of the right thumb is a lot simpler.

I tried it again. The way I hold it, my middle finger automatically rests on the magnification button on M240 and I don't have any problem pressing it without rubber bump. I don't use scroll wheel since my magnification is fixed (max) most of the times. Therefore I don't have to move my fingers at all. Leica must have used my way of holding M240 in designing the button placement.

It is perfect for me.

Even flicking the EVF (if attached) switch on/off by thumb is exactly at the right distance. I think I am going  to be married to M240 for quite a long time.

Even if I could easily find the button -muscle memory is quite effective- the lip around it made pressing a bit awkward to me.

I tried it again. The way I hold it, my middle finger automatically rests on the magnification button on M240 and I don't have any problem pressing it without rubber bump. I don't use scroll wheel since my magnification is fixed (max) most of the times. Therefore I don't have to move my fingers at all. Leica must have used my way of holding M240 in designing the button placement.

It is perfect for me. [...]

And a pita for me i must say. I thought i was the worst button ever imagined by an human brain, if any, but i'm glad it works for at least one human being on this planet

And a pita for me i must say. I thought i was the worst button ever imagined by an human brain, if any, but i'm glad it works for at least one human being on this planet

LOL...  can take care of other's pain by offloading M240 from their hands at half the market price.

BTW, Is this an issue with M10 as well? From picture it looks same button placement as in M240.

The magnification button on the M10 stands a little proud of the surrounding ring and, therefore, is a bit easier (IMHO) to use than the M240’s. A small but significant improvement.