OK, CL owners... What's your verdict?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes

No

Didn’t have a TL2 but wonder if I should and use as a second body (less lens changing)

Love the 18-56 and the 35 1.4 (wish it was smaller) Fuji makes an excellent 35 1.4 that is a lot more compact.

Waiting for the 23 f2 which I think will be a great walk around lens.

Also have the 60 but not sure how much I will use it (macro IQ is amazing)

• Like 1

Yes

No

No

Take what i say with a pinch of salt though as i use the CL only with M lenses so far.

Aside from my M8.2 which acutance remains unrivaled i feel, the CL is my best APS "back" for M lenses since my good old R-D1 in 2004.

• Like 1

Yes

No

No-N/A

I've only had the CL for a week and did not purchase any TL lenses. I go back with M camera to the early 80's when ASA 800 was high speed and a Noctilux was needed for more than bokeh. To this day I prefer rangefinder focusing to anything else (recently sold my D800) and I'm still on a learning curve using the CL with manual focus and focus peaking in particular. For now though, I'm very happy with the versatility and compactness that a travel kit of MP, M9 and CL will provide when wife and I travel.

Yes

No

No

Take what i say with a pinch of salt though as i use the CL only with M lenses so far.

Aside from my M8.2 which acutance remains unrivaled i feel, the CL is my best APS "back" for M lenses since my good old R-D1 in 2004.

The R-D1, great reference, I also owned one and feel the same way about the CL.

Yes

No

No

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes

No

No

First post here on the forum. Created an account to chime in on this thread; that's how in love I am with the CL! It is the perfect "everyday" camera, just as it seems Leica intended. I plan to keep my M10 for now -- though I haven't taken it out of my cabinet since I got the CL a month ago. The camera's compactness, the lightning-quick AF modes, the fantastic EVF, the gorgeous Leica image quality. Man, what a package!

• Like 6

In line with most others

Yes

No

No     Have not had the TL2 - no built in EVF never going to work for me.  Did have the Fuji X Pro 2 and also more recently the Canon M5, tried using both with M lenses but never truly happy, and I much prefer the simpler styling and button/menu system of the CL, plus build quality of course.

Bought one with the 18-56 - hoping with this camera, for travel/everyday, it would replace my X Vario with the added bonus of being able to use my M lenses. So far could not be happier.  

Edited by Boojay

Yes

No

No - I still have an original T which hasn't been used since the CL arrived and will probably have to go.

I must say that I'm really pleased with the CL; better than I expected which I think must go down to the superb viewfinder. Other than a little testing I haven't done much yet with M lenses but when I get more time ...... 

Yes, No, No --- even though I decided to sell it

No regrets because I traded it in and recovered 95% of the purchase cost.

Operation/IQ was everything I expected. It just wasn't a camera I needed  :D

I felt the X-T2 to be a better camera for my needs, mainly due to lens selection, WR and OIS.

Yes, No, Keeping my TL2.

Still wish there was IS lenses and longer exposure times, so it'll never be my primary system. Keeping the TL2 and more likely to sell the XPro2's and Fuji lenses, I have.

CL and 11-23 will definitely be my wide solution for my SL kit. I don't need a wide zoom a lot and it's very good. I expect that the 16-35 (wish it were a 12-24) for the SL will be fab but it'll cost more than the CL/11-23 combo. I have a WATE if I need the larger sensor.

Still torn between the CL lenses and the PenF IBIS. Last trip took the Pen. This time the CL. Not sure which I prefer although the CL will likely become a daily shooter and PenF a travel companion to my larger formats.

Gordon

Yes - meets expectations. Wanted faster AF and built-in and much improved EVF and got them. Jpegs and focus peaking are much improved compared to TL2. Prefer the tactile feel and looks and build quality of the TL2. Shoddy battery door on CL. Diminutive body makes using SL lenses feel even more precarious than on TL2.

Some regrets - was it 'worth' the upgrade from the TL2?

I still have my TL2 and will sell it. (Anyone interested?). I prefer the TL2 styling, build quality and feel.  

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 1

Actually, the battery door is very similar to the one in the X series and many better Panasonics. I have never heard of a broken one - maybe it is better than users think? Anyway, it saves 260 Euro for a Leicatime baseplate on the M cameras ;).

• Like 2

Actually, the battery door is very similar to the one in the X series and many better Panasonics. I have never heard of a broken one - maybe it is better than users think? Anyway, it saves 260 Euro for a Leicatime baseplate on the M cameras ;).

Perhaps so, but the hinge mechanism feels a bit flimsy.  Not as robust as on my Q, so maybe I am reacting to that.

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 1

Perhaps so, but the hinge mechanism feels a bit flimsy.  Not as robust as on my Q, so maybe I am reacting to that.

Sharing batteries, I would have guessed the Q and CL also share the same door. My Q is gone now. Cannot compare anymore, but do not recall the Q's door as being different to the CL.