Leica Q Silver vs Black - Thoughts?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have gone back and forth between a wrist strap and shoulder strap only to settle down with the Arte Di Mano 125cm leather shoulder strap that matches my Arte Di Mano half case. It just works well for me. I can carry it over my shoulder or more often around my neck with the camera on my hip and a hand resting on it or I can roll up the strap and carry it in my hand. I sometimes have my Canon 5D3 / 70-200 on a wrist strap. I can pretty easily move the 5D3 to being held in my left hand then shoot one handed with the Q. We’re all unique in what we prefer. I like this solution. Simple.

I'm a week away from pulling the trigger on a Leica Q but stuck between silver vs. black. For those who have the black but found out the silver is out now, any desire to have the silver instead? 

Nope.  Had the option, but went with black. Used the cost difference on a grip instead.  I find black to be more practical in that white lettering on a black body provides the  highest contrast and so is easier to see whats what over a greater range of shooting conditions.  

• Like 1

As has been said already color selection is a personal choice.  Internally the cameras are identical.  There are diehard proponents of both current color choices. 

Personally, I saw a titanium model when they were available and became hooked.  It took me a bit of time, and the help of a true Leica dealer and gentleman (Ken Hansen), but I found a near mint Titanium model and it's been mine for almost two months.  No regrets at all.

I agree with the previous posters but would like to render my $.02...

The black is not anodized, it is black paint and will be more subject to marring over time. I know, because I had one. Many think that it makes the camera more 'stealthy'.

However, If you don't use the camera much or are extremely careful, the point is moot.

The Silver Q is 'Silver Chrome' like the M240 and M10, and is certainly the more durable finish. I prefer it because to me it looks more 'Retro'.

I've had folks come up to me asking if that is a digital camera because it looks like something that their father used to use.

The now discontinued Titanium version is not like the old M6 Titanium which was anodized or plated. The Q Titanium is also painted, but 'may' be every so slightly more durable than the black.

The choice is yours...All are fantastic photo tools.

-Brad

• Like 3

Personally, I saw a titanium model when they were available and became hooked.  It took me a bit of time, and the help of a true Leica dealer and gentleman (Ken Hansen), but I found a near mint Titanium model and it's been mine for almost two months.  No regrets at all.

I had a black one and sold it a while ago.  I recently acquired a mint boxed titanium one, and I think it's a lovely looking thing.  I managed to find a Thumbs Up in titanium (I understand it's milled from solid titanium, hence the eye-watering price...) and it has an Arte de Mano case too along with a Tie her Up Komoboloi wriststrap (the supplied grey rope neckstrap lies unused in the box). 

Really pleased with it overall.  But I know it's all sheer vanity!

• 2 weeks later...

Are you sure it is not anodized?

jy3aX9.png

I agree with the previous posters but would like to render my $.02...

The black is not anodized, it is black paint and will be more subject to marring over time. I know, because I had one. Many think that it makes the camera more 'stealthy'.

However, If you don't use the camera much or are extremely careful, the point is moot.

The Silver Q is 'Silver Chrome' like the M240 and M10, and is certainly the more durable finish. I prefer it because to me it looks more 'Retro'.

I've had folks come up to me asking if that is a digital camera because it looks like something that their father used to use.

The now discontinued Titanium version is not like the old M6 Titanium which was anodized or plated. The Q Titanium is also painted, but 'may' be every so slightly more durable than the black.

The choice is yours...All are fantastic photo tools.

-Brad

The Leica Q has anodised aluminium top and base plates. The front and rear panels however are paint finished magnesium alloy.

The front panel is completely hidden under the applied material so the only exposed paint finish area is the rear panel.

_____

Ash

Thanks for the useful information.

The Leica Q has anodised aluminium top and base plates. The front and rear panels however are paint finished magnesium alloy.

The front panel is completely hidden under the applied material so the only exposed paint finish area is the rear panel.

_____

Ash