What you want to see in next S

ZHNL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2,4 GB - File ? It doesn´t matter. IQ will be the match-winner. Maybe Leica S008 with 80 MB und S-Lenses?

As long as you don't use the interpolation 6 shot option to get that 400mp, but instead the 4 shots RGB multishot, it will be very very good, probably the best... but limited in really static situation.

Conventional Bayer sensor 80mb Leica S008 will never be a match...

Btw: There’s Sinar in Leica brand portfolio and Sinar has been manufacturing very reliable and simple to use multishot solutions.

IMHO the maximum resolution for a lot of reproduction work ( output for catalogs and A3 sized prints) is not needed and the Sinar backs, even 10 years old and looking antiquated, are still very good for what they were designed. When my Sinar P3 and the digital back were stolen, I decided that a high resolution Sony Mirrorless would be an adequate replacement, no way. Maybe the multi shot capability of Sony Ar111 will be a game changer, but the Sony is expensive and my Cambo mini is not stable for multi shot. I looked at the eBay and local prices and realized that I can buy a nice older multi shot back for one half of the new Sony.

I have got a phase one back ( p45) and it works reasonably well. But nothing can be compared to a multi shot solution, either Sinar or Hasselblad. And I ask myself, why Leica does not make a multi shot S oo9H camera on the base of its Sinar technology for a light reproduction use, for those who does not need the movements (view camera) and who does not have a government funding and unlimited budgets.

I would welcome a true hybrid camera on the basis of the S bodies, multi shot, 80 megapixels of resolution, the same optical viewfinder and an option to use an add on high resolution electronic viewfinder in the hot shoe. Would I pay the Leica prices for that? Yes!

And the last thing. Please make the focus stacking as Sinar did many years ago on its brilliant Sinar-M camera.

IMHO.

You're a little behind the times.  Hasselblad will have available in March 2018 its new H6D-400c MS

MULTI-SHOT CAMERA which is at 400MP.

That's a multi-shot back, which means it's only of interest to some studio photographers. The way it works is by taking four or six shots while moving the sensor slightly. The software then assembles the final image by taking a red pixel from one shot, a blue one from another, and a green from a third (you need at least four shots to have RGB values for each pixel).

Leica also offers multi-shot backs through Sinar. It's not a new thing, or a very popular one outside of a few specialized applications.

The unique thing about the S system is how fast and intuitive it is. Comparing it to a studio-only camera that needs tethering, external processing, and rock-solid support doesn't seem informative. Those are completely different requirements.