What you want to see in next S

ZHNL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If the 008 has the following I will buy it:

* mirrorless. with all the benefits that implies like touch screens, multiple focus points, artificial horizon, review in EVF, etc.

* 60+ MP

* Compatibility with current lenses either natively or via adaptor.

* NO LENR.

* Exposure times of at least 30 minutes.

* cheaper. more competitive with the X1D.

* a proper service guarantee befitting a camera this expensive that works efficiently and globally.

If it it missing any of the above I will not buy it and will dump my S system and move my medium format entirely to Hasselblad.

I would like (but not essential) the following.

* the upcoming 100MP Sony 33x44mm sensor.

* an articulating screen. tilt only is fine. It's for on a tripod.

* the same battery.

* SL inspired design and menus..

* more and improved zoom lenses. f4.5 is fine for landscapes.

* USB C power and charging directly to camera.

* 5K video.

Gordon

• Like 1

If the 008 has the following I will buy it:

* mirrorless. with all the benefits that implies like touch screens, multiple focus points, artificial horizon, review in EVF, etc.

* 60+ MP

* Compatibility with current lenses either natively or via adaptor.

* NO LENR.

* Exposure times of at least 30 minutes.

* cheaper. more competitive with the X1D.

* a proper service guarantee befitting a camera this expensive that works efficiently and globally.

If it it missing any of the above I will not buy it and will dump my S system and move my medium format entirely to Hasselblad.

I would like (but not essential) the following.

* the upcoming 100MP Sony 33x44mm sensor.

* an articulating screen. tilt only is fine. It's for on a tripod.

* the same battery.

* SL inspired design and menus..

* more and improved zoom lenses. f4.5 is fine for landscapes.

* USB C power and charging directly to camera.

* 5K video.

Gordon

Really? Video?

I also think making the S viable for 4K (or higher) videography is a great idea. Just imagine how many filmmakers would pay for the "medium format Leica look." If the next S is mirrorless, ND filtration can be incorporated into the S lens adapter.

But I am doubtful this will happen, since videography is at odds with increasing the sensor resolution. The S 007 is not viable for videography because it doesn't have a good way to deal with the extra resolution. In HD, crude line-skipping leads to aliasing, and in 4K the sensor crop makes wide lenses not quite wide. In both, rolling shutter is too severe for even normal motion.

I also think making the S viable for 4K (or higher) videography is a great idea. Just imagine how many filmmakers would pay for the "medium format Leica look." If the next S is mirrorless, ND filtration can be incorporated into the S lens adapter.

But I am doubtful this will happen, since videography is at odds with increasing the sensor resolution. The S 007 is not viable for videography because it doesn't have a good way to deal with the extra resolution. In HD, crude line-skipping leads to aliasing, and in 4K the sensor crop makes wide lenses not quite wide. In both, rolling shutter is too severe for even normal motion.

That’s why I think this should really be limited to doing photo. Alpa is now venturing into MF videography with their so-called video rig. Kind of stupid really. But I know that’s where the new money’s at.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

To everyone expecting a revolutionary design change, get used to disappointment. To everyone happy with the current design, but feel slighted by the low pixel count, I bet you'll be satisfied. To everyone making money with the S system, you probably don't care, as you're happy with what you've got.

I'm going to be first on the list when it's announced.

But what do I know?

Matt

• Like 2

To everyone expecting a revolutionary design change, get used to disappointment. To everyone happy with the current design, but feel slighted by the low pixel count, I bet you'll be satisfied. To everyone making money with the S system, you probably don't care, as you're happy with what you've got.

I'm going to be first on the list when it's announced.

But what do I know?

Matt

I hope it is not that incremental. 

What about tilt LCD screen and electronic shutter? :)

I am sensitive to EVF flickring and viewing delay even it is very subtle. It is a deal breaker for people image IMO that require communication to subject and capturing flea moment of expression. So far, I haven’t seen a single EVF can replace OVF experience including the mighty SL though too bad S006 has more shutter delay than I wanted. (007 was better, but none was as good as best 35mm system. )

I also have problems with shooting EVF under high dynamic range high contrast scene during day time. Shadow is totally lost in viewing in those cases. Read from review of X1D and GFX about delay of shutter and slow EVF refresh rate are show stopper for me to consider them. Hence I said earlier none of current MF offer suit me better than S, however, it become more and more difficult to justify S after using D850 with a bunch of high class 35mm lenses. Rendering special along with CCD skin color are the only coolaid for me right now.

The reason I ask about electronic shutter is I have really enjoyed using it on my D850, when mirror is up, it is just like shooting mirrorless camera that everything is total silent, no sound, no vibration. Even read out speed is only at 1/15s, it is good enough for almost all Tripod work I have done. This feature could be one decision factor for me to stay with S or not. It offer best for both world OVF for viewing and mirrorless for shooting.

Charging premium is always OK for red dot as long as it bring back return even it is a diminish return. S2 and S006 just did that many years ago, I hope S008 can do the same.

Ohhh, that's a great idea. with Electric shutter, we can keep the OVF and just use the ES to do long exposure of landscape stuff!!!!

To everyone happy with the current design, but feel slighted by the low pixel count, I bet you'll be satisfied.

really satisfied? or just meh satisfied?

When Leica were doing their marketing and sales pitch about why they stayed with 37MP they said for pixel increase to mean anything it needs to be doubled. That kinda gives it away I guess.

• Like 1

I very honestly see Leica raising the price for a 60+ MP camera...

I am not so sure on this. I recall the M9 being priced slightly under the M8, albeit being a dramatically improved camera at this point. If they would bring down the price midway between the present offering and the X1D, their lenses would see waiting lists of a year, not to mention the camera itself.

If someone wants to sell his 007 to me, please make an offer [emoji51]

• Like 1

If they would bring down the price midway between the present offering and the X1D, their lenses would see waiting lists of a year, not to mention the camera itself.

I agree but midway between the X1D ($8K) and the S007 ($19K) would be $13.5K... I quite frankly don't see that happening...

Edited by JorisV

I am not so sure on this. I recall the M9 being priced slightly under the M8, albeit being a dramatically improved camera at this point. If they would bring down the price midway between the present offering and the X1D, their lenses would see waiting lists of a year, not to mention the camera itself.

If someone wants to sell his 007 to me, please make an offer [emoji51]

007 is about 60k rmb in Shanghai, China, so about 9000USD?

I think it will only go down further if they announce a 008...