Polling interest in a new model M-L(39)

• 3 weeks later...

Call me strange but I like the idea a lot, provided it comes with a built-in meter and TTL flash plus a less fiddly film loading system.

It's not that the M cameras are large, far from it, but one thing I really like about my Leica II is the form factor. It's a pocketable camera that weighs next to nothing on the shoulder. 

So as not to stray too far off the Barnack roots (and probably keep with the Barnack form factor), it would be good if the camera could also retain the separate rangefinder and viewfinder windows.

So, I vote yes.

Philip

That isn't what was being proposed, Philip. The OP was suggesting an M-A with an LTM mount. As has already been pointed out, you can get the same thing by just using a normal M-A with LTM lenses and an adaptor. A new updated "Barnack camera" is an entirely different proposition and something that would be attractive to many people (though probably not enough to make it financially viable).

Call me strange but I like the idea a lot, provided it comes with a built-in meter and TTL flash plus a less fiddly film loading system.

It's not that the M cameras are large, far from it, but one thing I really like about my Leica II is the form factor. It's a pocketable camera that weighs next to nothing on the shoulder. 

So as not to stray too far off the Barnack roots (and probably keep with the Barnack form factor), it would be good if the camera could also retain the separate rangefinder and viewfinder windows.

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A new updated "Barnack camera" is an entirely different proposition and something that would be attractive to many people (though probably not enough to make it financially viable).

Hi Guys

Much as I genuinely like the screwmount cameras, both to use and collect, I think there is already an updated version available - the M series!  Other than including an in-built exposure meter I am not sure what else could be changed without re-inventing the M. More biright lines (an up-dated 111G?) results in an M, combined view and range-finder - M again, and so on.

I don't want to come over as flippant about this, because as I said above, I really do like them, but an updated one would also need new viewfinders or perhaps a Leica multi focal length one rather than a separate on for each; that would be nice.

If one were available, I'd buy one though.

All the best,

Susie

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It might be a sin just to suggest it, but a IIIk with TTL and electronic shutter (and maybe in the long run a digital screenless variant) would certainly be an “update” to the IIIg. Keeping of course same since as all Barnack cameras.