24-90 drift

antigallican

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I used my SL + 24-90 today in a vertical orientation - I was copying paintings. I had a problem with the lens drifting or slipping ie going from the 24 end towards the 90. Of course it lost focus too, but it was the focal length which was drifting out, caused I guess by the weight of the front elements of the lens. Has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone replicate it? Maybe I'm expecting too much for the lens to stay in one place pointed downwards.

Thanks

John

• Like 1

I used my SL + 24-90 today in a vertical orientation - I was copying paintings. I had a problem with the lens drifting or slipping ie going from the 24 end towards the 90. Of course it lost focus too, but it was the focal length which was drifting out, caused I guess by the weight of the front elements of the lens. Has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone replicate it? Maybe I'm expecting too much for the lens to stay in one place pointed downwards.

Thanks

John

This sort of "zoom creep" is pretty common.  My 24-90 will creep a little bit then stop--it won't just keep going to 90.  The obvious solution is to bring some masking tape with you.  Once you have set the zoom, tape the ring.  Effective, though perhaps not elegant.

I use one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050KEEW0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can adjust it so that the amount of resistance to the zoom ring can be dialed in.  It works surprisingly well. I like it because I tend to take bracketed shots of plated dishes that I'm later combining in Aurora and can't afford to have any variation in my focal length.

• Like 2

I use one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050KEEW0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can adjust it so that the amount of resistance to the zoom ring can be dialed in.  It works surprisingly well. I like it because I tend to take bracketed shots of plated dishes that I'm later combining in Aurora and can't afford to have any variation in my focal length.

Can you post a pic of it in place?? Curious to see how it fits on the WIDE 24-90..

Thanks

John

Hi John,

I have the same problem. I phoned with Leica in Germany. This is the answer:

Thank you for your inquiry.

We are sorry to have to learn of the problem mentioned in your mail.

I have talked to our technician and he said that this lens does have a smooth running guidance and he asked to

send the lens to our customer care department here in Germany. He will check if he can optimise it as much as possible.  

Please let us know when you would like to send it and we will send you an UPS label for a free shipment.

Good Luck, Lenter

• Like 2

Hi John,

I have the same problem. I phoned with Leica in Germany. This is the answer:

Thank you for your inquiry.

We are sorry to have to learn of the problem mentioned in your mail.

I have talked to our technician and he said that this lens does have a smooth running guidance and he asked to

send the lens to our customer care department here in Germany. He will check if he can optimise it as much as possible.  

Please let us know when you would like to send it and we will send you an UPS label for a free shipment.

Good Luck, Lenter

Thanks Lenter. If I thought Leica wouldn't want to hang on to  the lens for a couple of months I might try that. My short term solution was to use a Summicron 50 and an Elmarit 90 - ie not use the zoom!

John

Was it on a tripod? Did you try it with OIS switched off?

Could you see the lens barrel moving? Or was it just in the EVF?

It was on a tripod, I could see the lens barrel move and I'm afraid I can't figure out what OIS means. It happened with autofocus and without, if that's the question

Thanks

Edited by antigallican
  • Like 1

Yes that's it. Mine goes a bit quicker than that. In fairness OIS (now I know what it means) on or off doesn't seem to make a lot of difference. I went back with a 50 Summicron and a 90 Elmarit and reshot. Nothing lost but a bit of pride and a litre or two of petrol. But I could have done without setting lights up again etc. Next time I'll leave the 24-90 at home if I'm copying.

Yes that's it. Mine goes a bit quicker than that. In fairness OIS (now I know what it means) on or off doesn't seem to make a lot of difference. I went back with a 50 Summicron and a 90 Elmarit and reshot. Nothing lost but a bit of pride and a litre or two of petrol. But I could have done without setting lights up again etc. Next time I'll leave the 24-90 at home if I'm copying.

To day I send my lens to Leica in Germany. I keep you inform. 

Lenter

• Like 1

This 24-90 creep is a deal breaker for me, I was planning to buy this lens and mainly use it on tripod for landscape and nature photography.

In many application the lens would be pointing downwards and the last thing I would like it to creep.

Have you try if it creeps from 90 towards 24 pointed up?