Fallen out of love

Thank you Jaap but Heavystar hoods are not made in Japan IINW (mine are from China) and the diameter of the 23/2's hood is 52mm i'f i'm not wrong again. Third party 52mm screw-in hoods are not difficult to find on e**y though (https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=summicron+23+hood&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=14460&_fsradio2=%26LH_PrefLoc%3D1&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&_salic=71&LH_SubLocation=1&_sop=3&_dmd=1&_ipg=50). I must have a couple of Nikon's somewhere and will look for them when/if i find a TL 23/2 at the right (to me) price for an "optimized" lens.

Well - it's a long time since a love affair was so brief.  I've been interested in working with the CL, but after a month or so of playing I've come to the conclusion it's not for me.  I've tried the TL 23 18-55 and 55-135, but in the end didn't really enjoy them.  I can see how some will love them, but they just don't meet my needs. 

Part of the issue is that the camera with lenses mounted ends up being BULKIER than my Ms. OK I know they're mostly zooms so you have many FLs in one lens, but even the 23mm (especially with a hood on) feels huge compared with the M10 + 35 summicron asph.  The other issue is that compared with full frame I just wasn't subjectively satisfied with the image results from APS-C.  High ISO was no where near what I can get with the M10 and I wasn't happy with the results I was seeing on screen or paper.  Good, but not quite good enough. After experimenting, I also didn't feel there was any point in putting M lenses on the CL - it seemed beside the point, and if I need EVF focusing I use either LV or the Visoflex 020.  If I want longer I'll use the R 80-200 f4 or I'll use my Canon system.

So, current plan is they're all going off to Ffordes and I'm getting a used Canon 70-300 f4-f5.6 (£760!!) to go with the 5D3 for those occasions when I know I'll need reach and IS.

Bye-bye CL forum - back to the M10 :)

Hi Chris,

in the end all what counts is what works for you.

I have the CL and TL2 but honestly never saw much a point to use M lenses on them.

M belong on the M or 50+longer you could use them on the SL for safe focusing.

The CL/TL shine with the zooms and with AF or if you want to use longer focal length than 90mm (FF).

In my case - for taking images of kids, for having a small flexible kids to bring for skiing or on the bike (cl+11-23) or a small af camera on a party (cl+23) the cl/tl works fine and my M has collected some dust. But I think it depends a lot on the kind of use/subjects etc.

The M has its strong sides for sure.

• Like 1

I have to say to being a little surprised this morning, by the size of the 11-23. It must be one of the few lenses, along with my Zeiss Vario Sonnar 28-85 f3,3, which is longer at the wide end than it is at the long focal length end of its range. 

Wilson

I have to say to being a little surprised this morning, by the size of the 11-23. It must be one of the few lenses, along with my Zeiss Vario Sonnar 28-85 f3,3, which is longer at the wide end than it is at the long focal length end of its range. 

Wilson

There are quite a few lenses that zoom that way. I have never liked it...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Olympus produced a very good 11-22 f/2.8 to 3.5 zoom for its E-1 back around 2005.  It was shortest at 18 mm, and got longer at both ends of its range.  I store it set at 18.  It is about twice the size and weight of the 11-23 TL zoom. 

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

Different - less high-level -  other cameras, but the same idea. The main "problem"  I have is that it turns out to be my main daily camera rather than a companion one. Wasn't there some poster saying it wiggles its way into one's affection like a puppy?

Jaap ... indeed — this exactly happened to me even if it’s a “shared” camera with wifey LOL

Yes, this is why I lost interest after the first day. As soon as I clocked the dimensions of the 35 Summilux TL on the CL compared to my M240 and 50mm Summicron (having equivalent depth of field), I realised I wasn't going to gain anything. I'm waiting on that 50mm Q ;-)

Pete

Still about half the weight though. Not that the M and a 50 Summicron is that heavy but I must say I can carry my CL and the 18mm / 23mm all day without even noticing it’s there.

A kind of abscheid... The weather has been lovely after weeks of cloud and I was out with an M10 and a 28 Cron Asph + 90 Elmar-Macro. It felt like coming home.  Obviously some of these have been cropped (part of a project), but it was so nice to be back again with my old partner.  I hope all who will continue to work with the CL will find that it becomes their long term companion... :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

A kind of abscheid... The weather has been lovely after weeks of cloud and I was out with an M10 and a 28 Cron Asph + 90 Elmar-Macro. It felt like coming home. Obviously some of these have been cropped (part of a project), but it was so nice to be back again with my old partner. I hope all who will continue to work with the CL will find that it becomes their long term companion... :)

Lovely.

I also went out today only with 28cron ASPH on my M240 with 90macroelmar in my pocket to nearby Redwood groves for a walk. Got lovely pics without any burden. In fact weight of M240 was helpful in shooting at 1/15 sec (there is deep shade on the ground covered by heavy canopy of Redwood trees).

Seems I don't need APS-C camera when I have FF M for general walk around use.

Edited by jmahto
  • Like 3

Well, the CL was not exactly love at first sight. But finally a respectful relation has come out of it and despite the early odds and its downsides (missing stabilization) I will keep it. It is a great camera for adapting M-Summarits which have now found a new life. Manual focus magnification is a joy to use and together with auto ISO and a 1/3f setting I keep getting really sharp images, natural colours and  a pleasing bokeh. No other camera has to go because it is there - they all have a field in which they excel.

• Like 3

I will keep it. It is a great camera for adapting older small sized M-lens, which have now found a new life. Manual focus magnification is a joy to use and together with auto ISO and a 1/3f setting I keep getting really sharp images, natural colours and  a pleasing bokeh. No other camera has to go because it is there - they all have a field in which they excel.

I agree with the substantial part of your findings.

Pardon my changing part of your above statement.

I do differ in that I sold my TL (duplicating what CL can offer, but at an inferior level).

My other cameras M10, SL, Q system remain with me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, this is why I lost interest after the first day. As soon as I clocked the dimensions of the 35 Summilux TL on the CL compared to my M240 and 50mm Summicron (having equivalent depth of field), I realised I wasn't going to gain anything. I'm waiting on that 50mm Q ;-)

Same here, Pete.  What I'm waiting for - probably to no avail - is a two-camera carry.  My 28mm Q and a hoped-for 50mm Q.  A CL + Lux 35/50 (or even TL 35) could sit in for the 50mm Q, but I wouldn't love the compromises.

Well, the CL was not exactly love at first sight. But finally a respectful relation has come out of it and despite the early odds and its downsides (missing stabilization) I will keep it. It is a great camera for adapting M-Summarits which have now found a new life. Manual focus magnification is a joy to use and together with auto ISO and a 1/3f setting I keep getting really sharp images, natural colours and  a pleasing bokeh. No other camera has to go because it is there - they all have a field in which they excel.

Hi

Sorry – LEICA Mˋs make this all

DiDi

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

My experience with the CL has been a great one. Compact, better build quality then the Q imo. Having AF is incredibly useful when needed. Those who shoot landscapes will be happy with MF, but there will be times when AF is needed. Better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it. I shoot with the CL professionally and have printed 20 inches (51cm) on the long side and there's no discernible difference between FF and APS-C sensors. Technology is at a point where it's up to the photographer, not the camera to make an image sing! Another important factor for me, is the bond I have with a camera. Only Leica seems to do this for me and the CL is fantastic in this regard.

• Like 7

Well - it's a long time since a love affair was so brief.  I've been interested in working with the CL, but after a month or so of playing I've come to the conclusion it's not for me.  I've tried the TL 23 18-55 and 55-135, but in the end didn't really enjoy them.  I can see how some will love them, but they just don't meet my needs. 

Part of the issue is that the camera with lenses mounted ends up being BULKIER than my Ms. OK I know they're mostly zooms so you have many FLs in one lens, but even the 23mm (especially with a hood on) feels huge compared with the M10 + 35 summicron asph.  The other issue is that compared with full frame I just wasn't subjectively satisfied with the image results from APS-C.  High ISO was no where near what I can get with the M10 and I wasn't happy with the results I was seeing on screen or paper.  Good, but not quite good enough. After experimenting, I also didn't feel there was any point in putting M lenses on the CL - it seemed beside the point, and if I need EVF focusing I use either LV or the Visoflex 020.  If I want longer I'll use the R 80-200 f4 or I'll use my Canon system.

So, current plan is they're all going off to Ffordes and I'm getting a used Canon 70-300 f4-f5.6 (£760!!) to go with the 5D3 for those occasions when I know I'll need reach and IS.

Bye-bye CL forum - back to the M10 :)

Chris, your experience is exactly the opposite of mine. i found the M clumsy, heavy, and complicated, whereas the CL is lighter, simpler and took just as good pictures. The beauty of the CL to me is that it feels and performs just like the older Leica screw and Ms. I suppose it is good we have different prejudices as it keeps Leica on their toes.

• Like 2

Having purchased the Leica CL around a month ago and having a good chance to work with it over the month I must say I have really come to enjoy it and the results I have achieved with it  I have been really happy with.

My M10 hasn't had much love over the last month and I am wondering whether to keep it.

It still feels great to work with and the M10 as the results are wonderful but do I need both .

Having purchased the Leica CL around a month ago and having a good chance to work with it over the month I must say I have really come to enjoy it and the results I have achieved with it  I have been really happy with.

My M10 hasn't had much love over the last month and I am wondering whether to keep it.

It still feels great to work with and the M10 as the results are wonderful but do I need both .

That's a good question. In my opinion, you don't, but it also depends on what you shoot.  The surprising usefulness of having AF cannot be understated while still having the best platform to use M lenses. I shoot everything from studio portraits to extreme sports and did both in one week with the CL.   The CL does take a bit of familiarity to make it a more fluid experience, but I suppose that comes from any new camera. Firmware upgrades should address little niggles such as what the  top dials can control and AF centering button. Using auto ISO has really made this more enjoyable too. I like just looking at this camera next to my film MP. They're very similar in size and the CL clearly has the Leica lineage in a handsome, dare I say sexy package.

A kind of abscheid... The weather has been lovely after weeks of cloud and I was out with an M10 and a 28 Cron Asph + 90 Elmar-Macro. It felt like coming home.  Obviously some of these have been cropped (part of a project), but it was so nice to be back again with my old partner.  I hope all who will continue to work with the CL will find that it becomes their long term companion... :)

The camera that inspires is the one to shoot with. Both the Leica CL (digital) and chrome (film) MP do that for me too.

Edited by Jdphoto
  • Like 2