Fallen out of love

Sounds like a plan! The 90 macro Elmar is a gem. If I want to go light I take the 35 cron asph and the 90 elmar

.....but the 90/2.8 Elmarit-M (11807) is only a little heavier, has a built in hood, is a full stop faster and one of the sharpest M lenses made. That is my default choice for a 90mm. 

Wilson

• Like 1

.....but the 90/2.8 Elmarit-M (11807) is only a little heavier, has a built in hood, is a full stop faster and one of the sharpest M lenses made. That is my default choice for a 90mm. 

Wilson

Not only a little heavier, almost twice as heavy. Well, actually 1.7 times heavier than 90 Macro Elmar. And macro elmar is lot more compact. This is a lens that I will never sell.

Edited by jmahto
  • Like 3

I like much my "thin" Tele-Elmarit 90/2.8 (been using it since the eighties) but it is an equiv. 135mm lens on the CL and it flares a lot when strong light sources are into or outside the frame. My Summarit 75/2.5 is a bit shorter (60.5mm vs 62mm) and is almost flare free by comparison. Great "90" (in fact 112) on the CL. The T-E 90/2.8 remains lighter though (225g vs 345g).

Edited by lct
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Wilson

Don't forget that the 90 Macro-Elmar can focus from 42cm to infinity when used with the macro adapter and EVF. Brilliant little lens. I never should have sold it but EVF wasn't an option a few years back when I was shooting with my M9P.

I agree that the 90 Elmarit is also a stellar lens btw. One of the rare bargains of the M lens lineup.

With apologies for the delay but finally....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Tony

• Like 2

Interesting thank you. What brand is this if i may ask?

I wish I knew! I found it in a box of bits at home and it has no markings other than "Japan".

I use a similar, although larger outer diameter, metal hood on my 18-56 T lens. That one is from Dorr and suits the lens but it may look a bit big on the 23mm.

Tony

• Like 1

Looks like I’m the only one who’s liking the CL *more* than when I got it. I was brutal on the announcement, and while I stand by all my criticisms, I find the CL a fun little camera to use. Small enough, light enough and very nimble. On my current trip with the kids I have the CL, X1D and an Olympus tough. Usage is the Olympus and CL with only 4 frames on the HB.

Still want some IS lenses though......

Gordon

• Like 3

Looks like I’m the only one who’s liking the CL *more* than when I got it. I was brutal on the announcement, and while I stand by all my criticisms, I find the CL a fun little camera to use. Small enough, light enough and very nimble. On my current trip with the kids I have the CL, X1D and an Olympus tough. Usage is the Olympus and CL with only 4 frames on the HB.

Gordon

You are **not**’LOL ... we went to the same launch event at Leica, and my CL was on pre-order then.

I like it a lot, and have big hopes. Going to Europe next week [Poland and Switzerland] and I’m leaving the SL at home. CL is going to be my only camera. Summarit-M 35/2.4 ASPH is my “kit lens” on it [so little tiny lens AND it is so good] which will be perfect combo to keep under the jacket while skiing. Then the native 11-23 at times I need to go zoom and AF [although taking C/V 10mm for UWA shots as well]. Then for street photography I’m taking the Elmar 24/3.8 ASPH and Summilux 35/1.4 FLE — both lenses look identical, same form factor, and same metal hood with the rubber slide on cap, great combo of lenses giving me 35mm and 50mm POV.

What’s not to like about CL?

Edited by meerec
  • Like 1

I'm super happy with the CL. I was just about to buy the Q but really wanted interchangeable lenses and then they announced the CL just in time to freeze my decision making.  So far it's everything I was looking for in terms of size, image quality and technology.

• Like 2

I'm super happy with the CL. I was just about to buy the Q but really wanted interchangeable lenses and then they announced the CL just in time to freeze my decision making.  So far it's everything I was looking for in terms of size, image quality and technology.

Absolutely the same. Lovely little companion to my SL, Q, H5D.

Gordon

Yes. IS lenses would be good. I'd like some f2.8 zooms with IS

• Like 1

Gordon

You're not the only one!

I suspect the problem is with people who buy expecting to find love and magic, rather than those who take a hard-headed view of whether a camera is likely to be useful or not. Despite the title of this thread, I suspect Chris used his head a bit more than he implies, but there are plenty of others who buy into Leica on the basis of emotion not reason.

• Like 1

Absolutely the same. Lovely little companion to my SL, Q, H5D.

Different - less high-level -  other cameras, but the same idea. The main "problem"  I have is that it turns out to be my main daily camera rather than a companion one. Wasn't there some poster saying it wiggles its way into one's affection like a puppy?

• Like 2