Magenta Cast appeared when using 28mm Elmarit

jhluxton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

John,

there's no Code in your Exif. The "28mm" is missing. 

Check your menu first. Then check if your camera / lens is really clean where the code would be read. It has to work. 

Next question:

Are you interested in correcting the pictures you have taken?   -  If yes; it's possible. To explain how it would be necessary to know with which software you work. 

The 28mm is showing in the info - it may not have been when these photos were taken. I have wiped the mount with a lens cleaning tissue and there was a bit of grunge on there.

I have now taken two daylight shots, the cast is no longer visible and the profile is correctly reported in Lightroom on these two images.

It's 15 months or so since I bought the M262 - still on the learning curve - but I now understand the importance of keeping the mount and coding window clean is just as important as keeping an eye on sensor cleanliness.

I have had success using the purple slider in the HSL option on Lightroom in removing the cast is that the correct way of going about things?

John

Edited by jhluxton
  • Like 2

:)

Glad that cleaning the mount (as I suggested, by experiencing the hard way) is the solution.

Anyway, M (typ 262) is pleasure to use by it's light combo with the light Elmarit-M 28mm asph.

Maybe someday, you would try the other 262 ...M-D :p but that is another story.

• Like 2

I have had success using the purple slider in the HSL option on Lightroom in removing the cast is that the correct way of going about things?

John

If your sliders are working - everything is fine.  :)

If you have some pictures you want to correct - there a Plugin for LR:

https://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroomplugins/

In short:

You need to take a correction-picture (with your lens; Code in camera "off" - with "on" you don't get your red corners) with a white balance card or somethings in this kind (I own a LCC-card from Phase One; or sometimes a "milk glass" / Plexiglass would work)

With that you will get a picture with the red corners on it. That's your correction-File. Somethings like this:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This could be used with the Plugin to correct your file. 

• Like 1

The profiles in LR / PS have nothing to do with the profiles you can activate in the camera. 

In camera: read corners    (no distorsion)

LR/PS: distorsion/vignette   (no read corners)

So it's necessary to correct via the DNG-Plugin if you want to correct your pictures after taken with read corners (or use Cornerfix, or Capture One...)

So, distortion corrections are not written into the DNG files? Is there a reference for which corrections are where?

Thanks!

Yes distortion corrections are written to .dng files.

Somewhere, here on the forum, is a list of what corrections are made for each lens but I forget where.

Basically there are corrections for vignette, color cast, distortion depending on which lens is mounted. Mostly 35mm and wider.

Let's clarify - the corrections for color drift or other vignetting as in the original topic are changes actually made to the image data (the numerical values assigned for pixel brightness of different colors), in the camera. The picture itself is literally changed permanently (toothpaste that cannot be put back in the tube) and that change is not optional (except by refusing to use a coded lens).

Don't confuse such a permanent non-optional change to the image data (the pixels) with a profile stored in the metadata (as for lens type, distortion shapes) - which are simply available for use (or can be ignored, at the users' option) by post-processing software.

If I have, for example, distortion correction turned off in Camera Raw (which I do), I get the native lens distortions. There is nothing I can set in any imaging software to remove Leica's vignetting and color vignetting corrections made in-camera - they are baked into the colors and brightnesses of each individual pixel before they hit the SD card.

• Like 1