thighslapper

M246 Image Thread

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/19/2020 at 12:07 PM, mmradman said:

Using camera instead of scanner is fast, no doubt about it, exposures are at worst couple of seconds but usually fraction of the second. Of course one need to have Macro-Reproduction setup to bring lens in focus and photograph small flat area of the negative - at 1:1 or thereabouts magnification.  

My setup is an old SLR bellows with slide copier attachment, Nikon PB6 with Micro Nikkor 55mm f2.8AiS, connected to M246 via cheap F-M adaptor.

My slide attachment doesn’t have film roll support so 6 frame film strips tilt when not centered in the slide frame slot, must sort this out.

Still need to try C-41 process B&W but classic silver chemistry film seem to work well. It is amazing to discover after all this time how many of my old negatives that produced good 6x4” and 10x8” prints look unsharp or barely sharp once digitised, we are truly spoiled by digital and instant feedback via LCD or computer screen.

Note, using colour digital camera makes easy work of colour slides.

Or, you can expose the color slides three times with different filters to create a really nice image of that color slide (but of course that's a lot of work.)  In any case, I'm very surprised that the negatives that produced good 4x6 and 8x10s look unsharp digitized.  There has to be a way to get better quality from those without a dedicated scanner.    

On 2/12/2020 at 8:02 AM, thebarnman said:

Or, you can expose the color slides three times with different filters to create a really nice image of that color slide (but of course that's a lot of work.)  In any case, I'm very surprised that the negatives that produced good 4x6 and 8x10s look unsharp digitized.  There has to be a way to get better quality from those without a dedicated scanner.    

I think I’ll skip three colour filter approach, you absolutely right, too much work and not enough hours to experiment.

With quality of the negatives, I need to do some more scanning, also improve flatness of the negative, the one I posted were random and quick sample rather than selection from the extensive scanning, work in progress, read previous line.

Am 12.2.2020 um 11:42 schrieb fotomas:

M 246, 35 CronASPH1

great compositiun with these reflections!

Edited by dierk

Am 12.2.2020 um 22:49 schrieb Kamyar:

Mono246 + 35mm f2 with red filter 

almost surreal your play with light and shadows and two people in between

"Contre-jour portrait" presented to you using M246 as a B&W film scanner.

Photo is form early 1980s, film is classic Ag emulsion, either EFKE or ILFORD, don't remember it was along time ago and i forgot to look at the edge of the negative strip.

Scanning setup is Nikon macro bellows type PB-6 attached via F-M adapter.  There is also film scanning attachment type PS-2, scanning lens is Micro Nikkor 55mm f2.8 AiS.

Original camera is Pentax MX with one of SMCP-M primes of the day.

Rented the M246 this weekend to give it a spin and really enjoyed the experience (as well as the images). Now to keep an eye on the classifieds for a good deal! :)

Does anyone here shoot with the EVF2? I have the EVF for my M10 and use it frequently, but forgot to rent it along with the M246 to get a feel for it.. 😐 

M246 + Distagon 35 1.4 ZM

036 // WINDOWLIGHT by Brandon Harris, on Flickr

LM009854 by Brandon Harris, on Flickr

LM009877 by Brandon Harris, on Flickr

LM009882 by Brandon Harris, on Flickr

Brandon,

the Visoflex 020 for M10 is better resolution and a bit more reactive than EVF2 for M246.

The focus peaking is way visible and usable in Visoflex 020, I use on M246 one Olympus VF-2 (same as Leica EVF2) mainly to "see"

colored filter effects in b&w global rendering, when in doubt.