• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A strongly backlit subject in a scene that already has almost no color seems like an ideal setup when you're shooting with a monochrome camera.   Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

WATER - 246 + 80-200 R Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

EARTH Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

Posted Images

I had a question about the differences between the two MM cameras.  So I did a looksee between this and the MM1 group.  Just from a very quick inspection (less than 40 seconds or so) I've discovered what others have said.  Based from what I see; it looks like to me the MM1 has more of a Tri-X look with the MM246 having more of a Delta 100 look.  That may be over simplifying it, but the MM246 does look to reproduce images with a smoother look. 

I'm wondering; am I over simplifying the two?  Can the difference be in post processing? 

MM2 is current camera and it improves over previous generation MM1 in general usability and reliability.  For instance previous M9 and MM1 are notorious for sensor problems plus myriad of other technical issues, worst that ever happen to M240 were failing strap lugs.

Now talking of difference in picture quality it is a matter of continuous debate with strong arguments from both sides, sometimes biased along the lines my camera is better than yours because it is in my photo bag.  

I use M246 and trying to exploit fine detail camera and M lenses are capable of, even at high ISO settings.  I don't try to emulate film  as this is after all digital camera.

I am not bothered about grain or lack of it.  If i wanted character grainy image there is always film, which i used not so long ago.

Only shortcoming of both MM1 and MM2, the way i see it, is very high base ISO sensitivity of 320 coupled with relatively slow shutter top speed of 1/4000 which makes shooting in good light with open lenses a challenge. 

Here are a few pics from last weekend while at New Orleans B&W workshop with Richard Sexton. These two are with the 35 LuxFLE.

and here are two with the 18SEM

The first one was during a photo shoot at the Patrick F. Taylor Library being restored, while the second one was along the route for the St Patrick's day

parade (definitely a good way to take photos of folks if you are bashful!) 

and here are 2 more with the 18 SEM of parade folks, being a bit more lubricated....

In my Father's house are many mansions by Paul Nadin, on Flickr

M246 & 75mm Summarit

Edited by PaulJohn
  • LUF Admin changed the title to M246 Image Thread
  • jaapv pinned this topic
  • jaapv unpinned this topic