CL + 35mm Summilux TL

It is fine, though I think it balances a bit better on the TL2. 

Some pictures of it on the CL body with a reference lens of the SL 24-90 for comparison.

Last photo was shot with CL and 35 1.4 TL2

Rob

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 6

The silver on black looks pretty cool I have the impression.

I had (and still have) a silver T and TL2 with all the lenses in black.

The black lenses on the black body is not super exciting though I find.  I wonder whether a silver body is still in the works.  

• Like 1

Happy New Year as well Rob.  I was actually in your neck of the woods up till Saturday.  Flying back from seventies/eighties to single digits is pretty painful... Wish I could have stayed longer.  

• Like 1

The TL 35 on the CL sorta reminds me of the SL 50 on the SL, and I suspect there is a similar intention to make it a "reference lens." The technical specs look good, maybe even sharper than the 35 M Summilux, which is pretty tough competition.   There are some nice shots taken with this combo over on GetDPI at https://www.getdpi.com/forum/leica/63003-fun-leica-cl.html#post745929 .

• Like 3

Thanks!

I prefer the black version, but it appears the silver is quite a bit cheaper for some reason.

how is the combo carrying all day?

While I have not done it with the CL, on the TL2 it is just not a big issue. If you have carried the SL 601 for a full day with any lens, the CL with the 35 1.4 TL is not an issue. The lens is of good size, but it is just does not have the mass like any of the SL lenses.

Surprised to hear that the silver is a "bit cheaper"compared to the black.

Rob

Edited by ropo54

Happy New Year as well Rob.  I was actually in your neck of the woods up till Saturday.  Flying back from seventies/eighties to single digits is pretty painful... Wish I could have stayed longer.  

We are in prime time right now!  Just beautiful here.  I'm from Connecticut originally and cannot deal with those New England winters anymore.

Rob

I prefer the black version, but it appears the silver is quite a bit cheaper for some reason.

Not in the stores and usually the same price on eBay as well... not sure what you mean...?

I posted some pictures on TL2 forum, almost every single one shot with Summilux-TL 35. Quality with CL will be identical, and CL probably focuses faster.

I hope it helps ;)

1) https://www.l-camera-forum.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=user_activity&search_app=forums&mid=39392&sid=94f6cff8a17d2e6301505d214ce51393&search_app_filters[forums][searchInKey]=&userMode=content 

2) https://www.l-camera-forum.com/gallery/member/39392-wojtek/ 

Edit. I can't make 1st link to work. It's a list of my posts on this forum. I have only 29 posts here and probably almost half of them contains pictures from TL2+35-TL ;) Sorry for inconvenience 

Edited by Wojtek
  • Like 2

Have you looked on EBay?

They are $300 less

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, I have.  Vendors that sell both sell them at exactly the same price.  There are indeed 2 silver lenses that are cheaper but unless this is a pattern that persists over time I wouldn't necessarily draw any conclusions from that.  

Yes, I have. Vendors that sell both sell them at exactly the same price. There are indeed 2 silver lenses that are cheaper but unless this is a pattern that persists over time I wouldn't necessarily draw any conclusions from that.

The only conclusion I’ve reached is that vendors are seller the silver Lens for $300 less.  (actually $400 less)  :)

Thanks guys for the images and comments. I found a nice used 35mm TL and it just arrived. So far very impressed with the performance. Although it’s a bit front heavy on the CL and definitely a giant compared to its M brother.

• Like 1

here are some comparison shots of the M10 + Summilux FLE vs CL + Summilux TL

a good bit bigger than I "hoped"...even after seeing all the images. :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

I think the true peer of the 35 Summilux CL on a CL is the 50 Summilux SL on an SL.  In an interview with David Farkas a year or so back, Peter Karbe mentioned that working on the CL lenses had been an important step in the evolution of Leica's lens design thinking towards the SL lens set.  The interview took place as the 50 SL had started to ship and the SL Summicrons were in the process of moving from prototypes to (still not) shipping.  If you compare the 35 CL's MTFs to the specs of the SL 50 SX, there are some similarities in the overall improvements in sharpness and reduction of astigmatism (difference in the radial and tangential performance) across the field.  So I think of the 35 CL as a bargain, lighter weight, early version of the 50 SL.  And I bet it focuses faster.  I did some testing last weekend and concluded that I might prefer the 35 CL to my older M lenses -- 35 Summicron-asph and even to the 35 Summilux-FLE.  The newest of these an M 28 Summilux, 42 mm-eq on the CL, was the best of the three, and will definitely get some use.  

However, the M or M10, with a Summilux-asph 50 or APO Summicron 50 is probably most practical solution of all for this focal length.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 1