Leica MM1 or MM2 for the Noctilux 0.95 only

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Case closed.

Jeff

not so quickly. Why is it then that the Mm1 is still selling when it obviously is inferior to the Mm2 with a sensor that doesn’t corode and with a rangefinder that has been upgraded and brighter. Also the MM1 the one that I had had a base iso of 350 and only 18 mp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not so quickly. Why is it then that the Mm1 is still selling when it obviously is inferior to the Mm2 with a sensor that doesn’t corode and with a rangefinder that has been upgraded and brighter. Also the MM1 the one that I had had a base iso of 350 and only 18 mp

I was referring to your case of buying and selling gear.

As noted already, I bought an MM1 with new sensor and warranty, when I could have instead bought the M246. Didn't need a forum inquiry to weigh pros and cons and decide.

Jeff

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I was referring to your case of buying and selling gear.

As noted already, I bought an MM1 with new sensor and warranty, when I could have instead bought the M246. Didn't need a forum inquiry to weigh pros and cons and decide.

Jeff

Well had you used the forum you wouldn't have screwed up and bought the wrong MM..........Reed my post above

Neil

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Another from dropbox achieves 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I bought the one that best met MY needs and preferences, not those for someone else. Novel concept.

The original MM is the one I got, and as a bonus it was like new with under 5k actuations, new sensor, full German service, warranty and a ridiculously low price. And the prints are terrific. Good companion to my M10.

Jeff

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

BTW, the new CCD sensors for the MM don't corrode.

And only the MM1 shows a RAW histogram, a valuable feature to assist in avoiding blown highlights, an issue I see with some of your pics.

Jeff

exactly.

Unfortunately I can’t comment on that as I have never seen one of your pictures in the 5 plus years that I have been on this forum [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I love the way that the LUF can degenerate into a pile-on ... sense a bit of insecurity or weakness and folks love to

dish on the poor person who showed interest or just wished to carry on a conversation.

Give the man a break ... who gives a shite if he has had multiple renditions of Leica's cameras.

First day of the year and the holiday cheer is definitely in a different thread.

Neil ... MM1 has a different sensitivity and probably more analog rendition that the M246.

M246 smokes it with better battery, EVF and haptics ... but you will have to work a bit harder 

to make the files blossom in post process.

Neither is optimized for the Nocti ... you may be better served with the 50 Summi or the Apo.

Hope you get home from the rig safely ... and have a great start to the new year.

Might behoove you to find a different crowd ... this group seems a bit hostile.

Go figure.

Regards,

Bob

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I love the way that the LUF can degenerate into a pile-on ... sense a bit of insecurity or weakness and folks love to

dish on the poor person who showed interest or just wished to carry on a conversation.

Give the man a break ... who gives a shite if he has had multiple renditions of Leica's cameras.

First day of the year and the holiday cheer is definitely in a different thread.

Neil ... MM1 has a different sensitivity and probably more analog rendition that the M246.

M246 smokes it with better battery, EVF and haptics ... but you will have to work a bit harder 

to make the files blossom in post process.

Neither is optimized for the Nocti ... you may be better served with the 50 Summi or the Apo.

Hope you get home from the rig safely ... and have a great start to the new year.

Might behoove you to find a different crowd ... this group seems a bit hostile.

Go figure.

Regards,

Bob

It’s pathetic mate. Forums are for joe blogs to ask questions or tell stories. Jelosiy is rife and it’s the same folks every time bombarding me and others with m

Negative comments. But it’s okay there are also a bunch to good honest folks on here that like a bit of banter and are happy to share there nollege rather than giving me a link to google

I have a mate in KL that has the new MM. I will let him play with my S wile I get a shot of his MM with my noctilux and EVF

Good night it’s 2 am in Nigeria and I need to get up I’m a few hours time

Neil

And the irony is that I was the one told (by the OP) that I made the wrong decision buying the MM1. On the other hand, I told the OP to buy whatever makes him happy. And gave him a link to a thread discussing related issues

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

And the irony is that I was the one told (by the OP) that I made the wrong decision buying the MM1. On the other hand, I told the OP to buy whatever makes him happy. And gave him a link to a thread discussing related issues

Jeff

I get it Jeff

The line between collegial discourse and disfunctional interaction is blurred on the Internet ... probably due to the invisibility assumption of most ... I log off you no longer exist.

Assume that Neil would love to meet at the local to carry on these conversations. I have worked in Nigeria ... and a lot of less civilized places. You all are a link to civilization and social grace that does not exist for the most part where he spends most of his time.

So truncated responses and short responses may be a factor of distance and place.

Me ... loved the MM1 more than the M246 ... just so much more analog response to light.

Shame that the corrosion issue plagued these cameras and few of non-Leica cameras.

Just hoping that we all can extend a bit of grace to anyone who shares our passion for light contrast and acuity.

Regards,

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Continuing the discussion - the first Monochrom, with the new CCD sensor is fantastic. Without the CFA array, the resolution is ammazing and the files are lovely. I haven’t used the M(246), but I haven’t really seen any benefit in 30% more pickles. The CCD raw files are lovely to work with.

With a Noctilux? Well, wide open you need to be careful with focus. I’d get the camera and lens calibrated if it were me. I prefer the Monochrom with the 50 Summilux.

As for Neil? He exhausted my patience long ago with his lazy attitude of asking questions he could easily answer with minimal effort, then discussed here. I remember him asking about aperture, Ansel Adams and Zone exposure, and saying he’d rather we explained it than take the time to read about it. It annoyed me at the time as disrespectful.

I would also like to express an opposing view of his “fine art”, but as he can’t respond, that’s a little unfair I guess.

First off, full disclosure - I know Neil outside of LUF.

Second off, Neil’s modus operandi is to jump in, often with predictable results, but he is very open about that. He did experience a lot more in a few years (up to 8x10 and self-developing C41) than many experience in a lifetime.

Third off, Neil made it clear on numerous occasions that it was up to others as to whether they responded to his questions or not. If one doesn’t feel the question is worthy of a response, a good idea may be to not respond. Silence brings interwebby-death to threads.

Finally, Neil’s auto-correct was beyond anything I have experienced. I suspect Spike Milligan may have written the source code.

Whilst others may have chosen to block Neil, while he was still in LUF, I always found that a post by him would have me opening up a thread I might not otherwise visit, just to see what the party was about.

• Like 4