Leica MM1 or MM2 for the Noctilux 0.95 only

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Guys

First of all Happy New Year to everyone..........well nearly everyone :) :)

Please see below a picture taken by me with my old Leica MM and Noctilux 0.95.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I found this picture in my Dropbox and remedially fell in love with it. This was so so easy to work on..........less than 2 minutes making a few curves and B&W point adjustments. I sold my SL that was initially bought along with my Noctilux as a body for the Noctilux as I just didn't like the size or the output of the SL.........

Anyway after seeing the above picture I want/need to get another body to mount my Noctilux on, I actually got an TL2 to do that but that combination is sh!te.......

My original MM was the original MM but I guess the one to get would be the newer one, so that I can put the Visoplex EVF on it to help with focusing. I see the MM's are running about 2500 to 3k so unless someone on her can convince me other way I guess the MM2 would be the way to go.

Neil

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

You know, with the amount of kit you go through Neil, you’re the one who should be advising us!

Gibbo.......ME. No way Bro, It just makes sense having a body for the Noctilux to screw onto.....doesn't it???

Neil

Only last week, iirc, you said you’d never buy another M.

If you’re going to get one, which you will, get a new one, so as to avoid the rotting sensor problem. But then again, it’s unlikely to reveal itself as a problem in the length of time you’ll own it ;)

• Like 2

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Only last week, iirc, you said you’d never buy another M.

If you’re going to get one, which you will, get a new one, so as to avoid the rotting sensor problem. But then again, it’s unlikely to reveal itself as a problem in the length of time you’ll own it ;)

Andy

Why does it always have to end with negative comments.......??

I have never heard anything about MM sensors so that would be a worry now. As for buying new I don't see the point if you can pick one up for about 50% off, are Leica replacing damaged sensors free of charge or is it up to the indiveduke to pay for it. I thought they had different sensors one a CCD and the other a Cosmo.

Neil

It’s a negative comment because the original MM sensors suffer the same problem as M9 sensors ( they are the same sensor).

There are threads all over the forum about sensor replacement, how long it takes and the fact that Leica no longer do them foc

The current MM uses the later sensor that does not suffer the problem.

Edit: there are at least 5 threads on the front age of this forum section with sensor issues as part of the title. There will probably be other references in other threads.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It’s a negative comment because the original MM sensors suffer the same problem as M9 sensors ( they are the same sensor).

There are threads all over the forum about sensor replacement, how long it takes and the fact that Leica no longer do them foc

The current MM uses the later sensor that does not suffer the problem.

That solves that question then...........no need to look for a MM anymore if there all away to fail . That must have something to do with the drop of over 50% in value, not that that bit has stopped me buying into something

Neil

The original MM is based on the M9, and like all M9s, is subject to the corrosion issue, which now has a sensor replacement solution.

I would only buy an MM 1 that had the latest sensor replacement. In fact, I did.

BTW, you wrote just a few weeks ago that you were getting another MM, convinced by the discussion. But that was before (a week) your similar enthusiasm for a Hasselblad (multiple versions), then the Phase, then selling the S that you said many times recently that was enough for you, etc.

Since you also said recently that it's not about the gear, I think you should just get whatever excites you. Technical differences will likely get lost in the shuffle.

Jeff

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

The current model is fine.

if its got the same sensor as the M9 which you said it does then it will have the same problem ....correct??

Neil

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I think you should just get whatever excites you. 
Jeff

Thats exactly what I like to do Jeff.......exactly that. Sometime folks on here get lost in all the jargon about the M can do this and the S can do that, the CL is better than the Sony A9 etc etc and never post a picture on here or on flipper

At least I go out and buy a camera or two use it as a camera (not as a fashion item) and post pictures on at least half a dozen forms, my website and on FB

One from my dropbox.........Japan 2013 maybe

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Neil

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

The current one has a different sensor from the M9. It’s based on the M240 sensor.

The M240 doesn’t suffer from sensor corrosion and neither does the current MM (type 246)

Can you use an elf on it??

Neil

Thats exactly what I like to do Jeff.......exactly that. Sometime folks on here get lost in all the jargon about the M can do this and the S can do that, the CL is better than the Sony A9 etc etc and never post a picture on here or on flipper

At least I go out and buy a camera or two use it as a camera (not as a fashion item) and post pictures on at least half a dozen forms, my website and on FB

But you're also at the top of the list starting threads inviting comments about what this camera or lens can do vs that, and trying to figure out the elusive 'best', etc, etc. Only after a lot of predictable banter do you go and buy the expected item.

I'm saying that you should skip the banter and just do it. Because you will anyway, and you're not into the nuances.

Jeff